Improving the Breed=Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
Those familiar with Brahman and the crosses know that the breed has a tendency to be slab sided. Miss JS 567 belongs to my buddy Jason Smith. She is a big deal and made the cover of Brahman Journal this month. Unlike my Brahman she has capacity like a Bos taurus. Hats off to the breeders actively improving performance and carcass merit.
TBJ-November-2014-cover-small-231x300.jpg

I love a good thick Brahama cow. They do fine here even though we do have some winter. They just do not sell well at all. I usually keep one around though just for the pleasure of watching them. Had one for several years that was a pet.

AllForage":2ixj6t1k said:
JW,

what are you describing as capacity? I see guts. you have any comparison shots?

Guts are what I am calling capacity. That cow isn't pregnant but she is just as wide as one due next month.
This is a good comparison shot.
th

They hardly have any guts to them at all.

OK, I gotcha. Was just tying to understand what you meant. Don't brahmans do just fine on how they are normally built? In what situation do you think they suffer from their lack of capacity?

When I think capacity I think of big spring of rib coming down and blending into a barrel like stomach. Not "paunchy" or "gutty".

This a good pic of a 1917 model that exhibits what I envision about capacity. I could be wrong.

JWBrahman":prcjpwa3 said:
Those familiar with Brahman and the crosses know that the breed has a tendency to be slab sided. Miss JS 567 belongs to my buddy Jason Smith. She is a big deal and made the cover of Brahman Journal this month. Unlike my Brahman she has capacity like a Bos taurus. Hats off to the breeders actively improving performance and carcass merit.
Beautiful cow and calf!

AllForage":3kfekikq said:
OK, I gotcha. Was just tying to understand what you meant. Don't brahmans do just fine on how they are normally built? In what situation do you think they suffer from their lack of capacity?

When I think capacity I think of big spring of rib coming down and blending into a barrel like stomach. Not "paunchy" or "gutty".

This a good pic of a 1917 model that exhibits what I envision about capacity. I could be wrong.

Those are great observations and questions. That Hereford is as thick as a shipping container and the cow doesn't have the same desirable spring of rib causing her to look "gutty" in comparison to the bull.

Now we are getting into a touchy subject with big money and big ego participants when we talk about whether or not the Brahman breed needs improvement in some areas like increased capacity/increased efficiency. It cannot be disputed that they do not have the same efficiency and rate of gain as some breeds in similar situations. The big selling point in the breed is that they will not die in places where other cattle will shut down from the heat and insect load. That does not mean they efficiently convert grass and or feed into beef when they get into an environment where survival is not the primary goal.

It will be nice to see how she compares over her lifetime to the other Brahman there. In a situation like my place I like the idea of a cow that can suck down 20 gallons of water into that big gut and keep moving.

branguscowgirl":2qeoehjt said:
JWBrahman":2qeoehjt said:
Beautiful cow and calf!

She is nice, isn't she? And I thought I had the best Miss JS...dang!

Some of those Indu types,tall lanky...looked like someone stole their guts.and here in north Ala.they look like he!! In the winter.... They have done good work on the American reds to

Would love to see breeding that would target bulls that could be used in crossbreeding without the worry of birthweight problems.

ALACOWMAN":2e3is7v6 said:
Some of those Indu types,tall lanky...looked like someone stole their guts.and here in north Ala.they look like he!! In the winter.... They have done good work on the American reds to

ALACOWMAN there is a group of tall ones with no guts for sale down the road that look terrible after a summer of army worms. Hate to see the feed bill to keep em going this winter.

Jason has nice reds, they are still using the 2008 champion Redneck.

houstoncutter":1pgtjtnw said:
Would love to see breeding that would target bulls that could be used in crossbreeding without the worry of birthweight problems.

Amen Houston. I would like to see more Brahman bulls that can be used on Brahman heifers without problems, too.

Very nice cow! I love the Indicus type cattle for several reasons. I love the longevity, the temperament (of the good ones, lol) I really love the ear and the look but what really interests me is the originals, the Gyr type in particular. I'm starting with a mish mash and a couple of my cows are just stock cows so I'll have calves for the market too but for myself, my goal is a "small" herd of "improved" Gyr type.... more meaty but still the basic Gyr package.

I have years of work ahead but I figure what the heck, gotta start somewhere and every one of them will be edible or will sell if they don't make the cut. All the bull calves will be sold and the heifer calves carefully gone over before keeping. Bulls will be selected with a lot of care to maintain "type" but to slowly add carcass.

This is my grade Gyr cow, Rose...she's a Big girl!
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...=3b0e6bb1af69ea3126187e4aad7b912d&oe=54D451A6

This is Jasmine (sire is a Balancer bull, Gelbvieh/Angus) (dam is a grade, grey Brahman)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1428112111_1fdb637a6ee04c31dff6fcb6ccc6c53f

I don't have a good picture of my weanling bull calf but he's not a beefy bull calf but to my stock cow heifers, I hope to add some carcass with some ear.

I find them interesting, but they just don't appeal to my eye.. I guess a lot of that is because of what I saw growing up.

If they could only hold those ears up!

Latest posts