Improving someone elses land

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith":3cj07qm1 said:
houstoncutter":3cj07qm1 said:
Something some of guys looking to lease might consider . Look to lease from someone who been in the cattle biz like me that has got out. At my age I'm not going back in.

Don't spend money on repairing fences , buildings or corrals. Portable corrals and electric fence are all you need to run your cattle. The grass in that pastures is all you need to worry about

And check the contract... I had one worded so that all improvements stayed with the farm regardless; if anyone had tried to enforce that rigidly they could have grabbed the calf water troughs and one or two other things that I've moved from farm to farm several times.

I guess Iwas fortunate, never had a contract with anybody just a handshake.

houstoncutter":284xee6y said:
regolith":284xee6y said:
houstoncutter":284xee6y said:
Something some of guys looking to lease might consider . Look to lease from someone who been in the cattle biz like me that has got out. At my age I'm not going back in.

Don't spend money on repairing fences , buildings or corrals. Portable corrals and electric fence are all you need to run your cattle. The grass in that pastures is all you need to worry about

And check the contract... I had one worded so that all improvements stayed with the farm regardless; if anyone had tried to enforce that rigidly they could have grabbed the calf water troughs and one or two other things that I've moved from farm to farm several times.

I guess Iwas fortunate, never had a contract with anybody just a handshake.
I have friend now wishing he had more than a handshake. The old man's daughters are holding him hostage this year. He has too much invested to back out now. Spent thousands getting the place back into production.
I had a friend get his rent doubled after he got rid of the sage grass and had the bermuda producing.
I will spend over 5K improving the property of other people this year. We have a handshake and in writing.

yall do know a smart land owner thay does the contract lease thing can still put the contract to his advantage.here are somethings that can be done to guy wanting to lease the land.you must shredd the place 3x a year.you must spray the meadows for weeds.if the leasee dont do those things then the contract is broken.i know of those things being put in a lease contract.

well if you want or need a lease place bad enough you agree to it.i know a guy that bought a herd of cattle at the sellers price because he wanted and needed to lease the farm they was on.

bigbull338":1a7tu2fc said:
well if you want or need a lease place bad enough you agree to it.i know a guy that bought a herd of cattle at the sellers price because he wanted and needed to lease the farm they was on.

My lease had minimum requirements for fertilizer. I put way more than the minimum. I put in a lot of fences and he paid for the material. Put in a new stock tank with my caterpillar and I bought the fuel.

It was sweet. He liked it. He had been approached many times with people wanting to lease and he had refused every time. I did not approach him. He approached me.

Latest posts