Improving Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is somewhat related to another discussion but how many generations do you think it takes to change a pen of cattle that grade select or less to choice assuming all things are constant?

Ollie":2bez1k7o said:
This is somewhat related to another discussion but how many generations do you think it takes to change a pen of cattle that grade select or less to choice assuming all things are constant?
All things being constant; I would think it would take UUUUUMMMMMM
Generations.Gotcha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ollie":3ad9v4iy said:

You can't change the cattle that are in that pen. They are what they are. Carcass quality is one of the most heritable traits in cattle. If you select a bull that has high marbling, you can immediately produce some higher marbling calves than if you use a bull without marbling. EPDs are the best tool to use to identify that bull. If your cattle have any marbling at all, I think you could do it in two generations. Use a high marbling bull on the cows and another on the daughters of those cows. If you collect carcass data on the steer mates of the heifers, you'd have an idea of where you stand and what sort of bull you need to continue to improve quality grade.

Ollie":1slj5fe8 said:
maybe with two generations, with the using of high marbling bulls in your cows

That's what I like about delaGarza you give me answers. Come on Frankie
don't be correcting my paragraph and sentence structure.Any one else think longer? Tysons has made the statement that it takes seven generations to change their product at retail level.

Ollie":icf4otde said:
don't be correcting my paragraph and sentence structure.Any one else think longer? Tysons has made the statement that it takes seven generations to change their product at retail level.
thanks, just beign objective 8)

Ollie":os1rojwm said:

Hey, I gave you an answer and you're welcome. You should know that live cattle can't be improved by any breeding. But you can select bulls with EPDs that will improve the calves. Where did you see that Tyson quote? People in the hog business tell me that a sow will generally only have 2.7 litters in her lifetime (here in the US). That means she's in production less than two years because they have better genetics waiting to move into her pen. With that kind of turnover, I'd expect they could change genetics pretty quick. But then I don't know how they mean to change their product at retail level, size of cuts, taste, marbling?

Frankie":toz3gat4 said:
Ollie":toz3gat4 said:

Hey, I gave you an answer and you're welcome. You should know that live cattle can't be improved by any breeding. But you can select bulls with EPDs that will improve the calves. Where did you see that Tyson quote? People in the hog business tell me that a sow will generally only have 2.7 litters in her lifetime (here in the US). That means she's in production less than two years because they have better genetics waiting to move into her pen. With that kind of turnover, I'd expect they could change genetics pretty quick. But then I don't know how they mean to change their product at retail level, size of cuts, taste, marbling?
Frankie
We cannot forget that things are going to remain CONSTANT. And he wants to change that pen from Select to Choice. I also would like to
know how to do that. All things are going to remain CONSTANT. :roll: :roll: ;-) ;-)

Frankie,
I didn't read it as a quote. A friend of mine was told that by a field manager from Cobb Vantress which is Tyson's seed stock division.I'm not trying to convince you of their management data just thought it was interesting.

Guest":2xvug0ns said:
Frankie you are wrong they have 2.7 litters a year. Not in their lifetime.

That is her lifetime. Most sows don't see their second birthday, according to this guy, they send her down the line and put an improved sow in her place and that's why I questiond Ollie's comment.

Frankie":3o2q2tll said:
Guest":3o2q2tll said:

That is her lifetime. Most sows don't see their second birthday, according to this guy, they send her down the line and put an improved sow in her place and that's why I questiond Ollie's comment.

That's wrong.

With a gestation of 112 days the sow would have to breed back within just a couple of weeks of having pigs. But in a facctory environmetn I'm sure it's possible. If that's the case, no wonder they don;t see their second birthday. But since they would pig the first time at around 8 -10 months, it may be a lifetime production also.

dun

BLACKPOWER":2pk1s2to said:
Frankie":2pk1s2to said:
Guest":2pk1s2to said:

That's wrong.

Ollie

There is nothing that can be done for the current pen. You could probaly change grade scores in 1 generation with single trait selection. The question is what are you willing to give up in future generations to make rapid progress in one trait? The height craze was a prime example of single trait selection by some breeders. I would recommend a more balance approach with a stronger emphasis (sp) on carcass quality but still maintaining maternal and other important traits. This approach would most likely take 2 or more generations to achieve your desire results. my 2 cents worth of opinion.

When I got out of hogs 5 years ago weaning at 3 weeks was the norm, now its more like 2 weeks. The sow was usually rebred about 5 days after weaning. Part of the reason for the high turnover in sows is the tremedous stress of rebreeding that quick after farrowing.

Latest posts