Imported beef

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your biggest concern about imported beef?

• Quality

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Price

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Ability to compete

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Consumers losing trust in beef product

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • lack of proper cool label.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lack of labeling is not on your list. That is my biggest concern.

Why is it that most other items need to be identified as to where they come from but not beef?

There is a wide variety of quality of imported products brought into this country. Some good, some bad. We can think of many recent examples both ways.

Why is it we are afraid of letting the enduser know just where his beef came from?

Some retailers now have two different meat cases. Hy-Vee (one of the stronger, growing food retailers) stores in Iowa for example have there lower cost beef case and then they have "Amana beef" which is locally (Iowa) produced beef. Having two separate meat cases in itself is certainly an indication that HY-Vee feels there is a market for a higher quality (you can look at it and see that), SOURCE IDENTIFIED, and premium priced beef.

We have cattle producers from all over the world posting here. Most of us, by the fact we are on this board, probably care about our livestock and try to produce a quality product. Why not identify our own product through labeling? We as consumers have a right to know where our beef comes from. jmho. Jim

Of the choices listed, ability to compete is my choice. I'm not so much concerned that imported beef will ruin consumer confidence in American beef. I really, truly believe that the average American consumer is more concerned about the price of their food first and foremost. Yes, there are many folks out there that can afford the high-priced stuff, but they are not the "average" consumer overall. They may be the average in an area that's considered "high-dollar" but not average when you consider the entire population of the US.

I live amongst many of the "average" and I see them at the grocery store, believe me, price is first and foremost in their minds.

As far as COOL labeling, there have been several discussions on here in regards to that. I'm all for it, but I don't think that's going to solve alot of the "problems" in our industry. At the grocery I go to, above the meat case is a list of countries where the meats have come from, however, you are only guessing as to which/where its from because the individual packages do not have the COOL on them. The only items individually listed are on packages from "Branded" products.....be it beef, poultry and shrimp.

Katherine

Walk thru your local Walmart and tell me the amount of people checking quality and location of manafacture. The price tag is all that 85% look at to make there choice. Unless you find a niche mkt. things are not going to change because of a label or sticker.
The people that want quality beef already seek it out thru branded beef or local producers.
If you think that price doesn't matter, show me the company that can compete with walmart on any scale.

In this area, there are a lot of grocery stores competing with super Wal Mart's and apparently doing very well because they keep opening new stores. Hen House, Hy Vee, Price Chopper and there are still some independent grocers, too. Many people still appreciate service, like a drive thru lane to load out your groceries, or some stores still will take them right out to your car. Price is important, no doubt about it, but it's not the only factor.

Price and ability to compete, in my opinion, pretty much go hand-in-hand.

If beef can be imported and sold here (USA) for less than it can be produced here (USA) then that cheaper price affects our ability to compete.

Katherine

talldog":332gwnc7 said:
grannysoo":332gwnc7 said:
Most people don't care where it comes from as long as the price is good.
Sorta like a cheap buffet----Quanity not Quality ( excluding dem Chinese Buffets)!!!!!!!! :banana:

Exactly. We don't eat cheap buffets. Plenty of food, horrible taste.

mwj":151sd16y said:
Walk thru your local Walmart and tell me the amount of people checking quality and location of manafacture. The price tag is all that 85% look at to make there choice. Unless you find a niche mkt. things are not going to change because of a label or sticker.
The people that want quality beef already seek it out thru branded beef or local producers.
If you think that price doesn't matter, show me the company that can compete with walmart on any scale.

Wal-Mart moves in town, offers very very low prices, shuts down many competitors, then they raise prices back up as high as they can and maintain high volume. The only reason a couple of competitors are still in my town, is because people get pissed off at the little rinky-dink stuff they make you do, like you were a kid at times or a criminal at times.

Remember, The only country that exports high quality beef to the US is Canada. Otherwise nearly all imported beef is commercial ground beef. Going mainly to fast foods. With all the "special sauce" any beef will do. Fast food USA would not be what it is if it wasn't for imported commercial grade beef.
3,100,000,000 pounds of imported beef to the US in 1008.

Without imported beef, burger would be to expensive for fast food restaurants specializing in beef products. So fast food would not exist the way we know it.

mnmtranching":dqhnx1i1 said:
Remember, The only country that exports high quality beef to the US is Canada. Otherwise nearly all imported beef is commercial ground beef. Going mainly to fast foods. With all the "special sauce" any beef will do. Fast food USA would not be what it is if it wasn't for imported commercial grade beef.
3,100,000,000 pounds of imported beef to the US in 1008.

Without imported beef, burger would be to expensive for fast food restaurants specializing in beef products. So fast food would not exist the way we know it.
I googled this per your suggestion.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/MeatTrade/ ... Yearly.htm

Latest posts