Important lesson learned

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Well I learned another important lesson this week. I lost my second cow in so many years from being Paralyzed during calving. Lost both calves on both of them. Both of these bred heifers came from the same high profile sale. Both were bred to easy calving bulls. Go them both two years ago, lost one last year, the one I lost this year had a hard pull last year.

The one that we lost last year the vet said had way to small of a pelvic area to ever naturally have a calf. I suspect with the hard pull last year and the calving problem again this year that the second one also had a small pelvic area.

The sale were I got them said they do not do pelvic exams on there heifers. This was my biggest mistake in not making sure of this before buying. Or I should have just stuck to buying little older cows.

From now on I will never buy a heifer that has not been Pelvic measured.

I guess I learned some costly lessons on these two girls.

Ps. Last year I did get a partial refund on the Heifer that died. But this years lesson is on me.

What kinda heifer and what kinda bull involved?

Wewild":2pkzkcdk said:
What kinda heifer and what kinda bull involved?

This years was
5/8 Angus 3/8 Maine Cow. Bull was an Angus x Simmental

Last year was
Simmental X Angus heifer Bull was Registered Angus

Well doggonit aplus. Sorry to hear that. But at the same time you are not whining and throwing in the towel. I like that "next time" attitude you have.

backhoeboogie":2mj7tx2t said:
Well doggonit aplus. Sorry to hear that. But at the same time you are not whining and throwing in the towel. I like that "next time" attitude you have.

I agree. We had a similar experience.... kinda.

Wewild":3jlpz1nb said:
What size calves?

Last year was a very small calf, I am bad at guessing weight but the vet that helped us with her. Said the calf was probably less than 60 lbs.

The calf this year, was a bigger calf, I would say 80 lbs but I did not weigh him.

The cow this year had a larger calf also last year, with the hard pull i just chalked it up to big calf and her being a heifer. I assumed it would be different this year. That was my mistake on assuming.

Dad always told me not to assume anything.

I've been caught in some what the same predictiment and it is a tough lesson. Now all heifers that have the remotest chance of becoming a cow are pelvic checked. The other thing to remember is the vet or whoever is doing the checking can be wrong. But it adds some peace of mind.

Biggest thing that sucks was as far as phenotype she was one of my favorite Girls. She milked good last year. But I guess she failed on the most important thing, being able to have a live calf and live through it.

This was her first heifer calf picture at 7 months old. She is bred and due to calve this coming Spring.

Rubby7months2weeks.jpg

aplusmnt, sorry for your loss. You have a good attitude about the whole thing, and as you and others have stated a lesson was learned.

Funny this issue came up on the boards at this point, 2 days ago where I work, the vet was out doing pelvics on all the heifers chosen as replacements, many didn't make the cut.

The heifer you posted pic of, have you had or will you have her pelvic measurements taken? Not being a wisenheimer here, but considering what happened with (what I understand to be) her mother have you considered it?

Katherine

Pelvic size is something I have never worried about. Now that I am beginning to breed some angus and charolais into my heard I guess I need to be. Is this heritable and can be culled out?

Workinonit Farm":1vyaxdqc said:
aplusmnt, sorry for your loss. You have a good attitude about the whole thing, and as you and others have stated a lesson was learned.

Funny this issue came up on the boards at this point, 2 days ago where I work, the vet was out doing pelvics on all the heifers chosen as replacements, many didn't make the cut.

The heifer you posted pic of, have you had or will you have her pelvic measurements taken? Not being a wisenheimer here, but considering what happened with (what I understand to be) her mother have you considered it?

Katherine

I did have her pelvic measured. Vet said she was OK, she was right on the line of culling. I decided to keep her because her mom was a good milker and at the time I assumed mom would be fine on second calf, that the hard pull was just because of her being a heifer. But now I will watch this daughter close and if she gives me any problems on first calf I will cull her.

sorry that you lost a heifer last yr an this yr.its hard to buy cows or heifers from any sale thats bred.i know what it is to lose cattle calving .an it huts biggtime an males you madd.the old saying is if you got them you gott emm to lose.friend of mine bought some cows an heifers last yr.an 2 heifers was bred to the same bull.he had to pull both calves an lost them.they both were big calves 90ls.outta reg beefmasters.

Was wondering what the best age would be for pelvic measuring, I assume it must be be before or at breeding age otherwise that would defeat the purpose. is there a standard time like 12 months for instance. Also what would an acceptable measurement be. How much difference is there really between beeds or is it more a case of difference within breeds?

Sorry aplus, you hear so little about getting pelvics done and what to look for.

You would think for something so critical it would be an epd, but I guess they just go by bw and calving ease?

Just like KNERSIE I would be interested in knowing more, the herd goes through the chute next month, so this is timely, except it sucks to have to bring it to the fore this way.

And in retrospect maybe it has had somehing to do with some heifer problems I have had.

Thanks for sharing aplus, chin up!

KNERSIE":d64ehinq said:
Was wondering what the best age would be for pelvic measuring, I assume it must be be before or at breeding age otherwise that would defeat the purpose. is there a standard time like 12 months for instance. Also what would an acceptable measurement be. How much difference is there really between beeds or is it more a case of difference within breeds?

I personally would cull if smaller than 140 Centimeters when a year old. If less than 150 Centimeters I would give the heifer a good look to see how much I liked her. I am sure you can check them when a little older, like at time you A.I. should want them a little bigger but not sure what numbers would be then.

Large framed cows should have larger pelvic areas but also have larger calves. I have no idea what size pelvic area would be acceptable on larger framed Heifers.

The ones we use are what are vet suggested on our calves, ours are Moderate framed Angus crosses.

When we have the vet preg check our heifers in the fall we ask him to identify ones who may be small. He just goes by feel, no official measurements. We culled one out of 20 last year because he thought she felt small. She was bred about 3 months so if she went to the feedlot from the salebarn she would've been aborted. Anyone taking a chance on calving her out probably learned a lesson on choosing breeding stock from the salebarn.

AngusLimoX":2d5usfm9 said:
You would think for something so critical it would be an epd, but I guess they just go by bw and calving ease?

Some breeds do. It's calving ease maternal or calving ease daughters depending on the registry.

dun

Latest posts