implements - buy new or used - brands?

Help Support CattleToday:

SJB

Reaction score
i'm in the market for a couple of implements for a compact 32hp 4x4 kubota. namely a disc harrow and a bush hog. the used market is a little iffy in my area. a lot of what appears to be rusty junk for sale.

it seems to me, the only reason somebody would sell a disc harrow is either they didn't use it or it didn't work.

what's your general MO on buying used implements in this low price range?
do you have a favorite brand, or is it like a lot of stuff, all about dealer support, implement construction, and price?

Check out local farm or consignment auctions. Around here, either one can be had for no more than $500 in decent shape. For certain things I prefer to buy new. Implements isn't one of them. Worst case scenario, you have to fix something. There's not much on a disc or rotary mower that can't be easily fixed unless it's obvious. But knock on wood, I've never bought a lemon from an auction.

Brush hogs are problematic when bought used. You know up front you'll have to spend some bucks getting it rigth. Check the gear box for oil and slop/wear, turn the stump jumper to insure it turns feely and doesn;t wobble or grind. Check the pto clutch and the drive shaft for bends/tweaks. The harrow will most likely require a good deal of work. but may be still useable as is. People just don;t seem to realize that those grease zerks are on those axles for a reason other then tearing off when disking crap that shouldn;t be disked.

I sell used farm equip from machinery to implements and I will tell you if you don't know the insides and outs of a piece of equip to know if its in good shape or a heap of crap.. Buy new. I will also say 99% of what I buy comes from auctions or craigslist.

These guys make a good point that I didn't. You do need to have the willingness and ability to spot obvious trouble, and fix things that aren't so obvious when shopping used.

So far, that's exactly where I'm at. Not only do I not have he hands on experience, I don't have the time to fool with it.

I'm handy enough to figure out how to fix what I break, just not enough to see what somebody else broke!

My friend went to an auction and paid 400 for a box blade that the auction ran up on him just because my friend didn't know what he was looking at. I didn't have any to sell at the time so he went to an auction. He was happy almost like a proud first time papa like look what I got I found about 30 welds and plates on the thing that he overlooked and didn't know what to look for. It has a nice pretty paint job though.