Impatient driver...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Dad was coming home after finishing raking hay and a kid (just graduated Friday) came roaring up behind him, wanting to pass. THere were about a half a dozen other vehicles behind this kid, all probably going to some family graduation party, and there was oncoming traffic ahead of Dad. The kid started revving his engine and spurting gravel in doing so in his impatience to tell Dad to get over and let him pass.

Knowing Dad, he wouldn't let no "pup" tell him what to do!!

So Dad just stayed in the middle of the road (he only had an eighth of a mile left to turn into the drive). And when that kid started revving his engine and spurting gravel underneath, Dad stopped, got off the tractor, went over to the impatient driver, and asked for his name. No friendly hellos, just that.

"I don;t have a name" the blonde, curly-haired young "man" said.

So dad walked behind the truck to get the license number and you know what that kid did?? In a spurt of gravel, he went down into the ditch (and the shoulders are pretty steep), around the tractor and up and off. At least Dad got his license!

The other folks that were behind all this curfufel where wondering what was going on. But by the time word went around that everything was okay, they got back in their cars and drove to where ever they were going.

Later, Dad told me that he wasn't too happy about that. "I was this close to grabbing that blonde curly hair of his and smashing his head into the f***in' dashboard." He also threatened that he was that close to ringing the kid's neck. He never did do it fortunately (or is it unfortunately? ;-) )

We never had any problems like your dad. We have a development down the road and they are always going around the equipment when my dad and hubby are on the road. It doesn't seem to matter what they are pulling or how fast they are going the drivers are always in a hurry.

This sort of thing happens occaisionally, though not all that often. There are good drivers who act in a responsible manner, and there are bad drivers who are an accident waiting for a place to happen. This kid acted like a bad driver who did something really stupid and got caught red-handed by the driver of the tractor whom he showed no respect or patience towards. And I wouldn't be surprised if the kid was very ashamed of himself!!

We also have fast drivers that cruise by the farm, creating one heck of a dust. And most of the time we have no choice but to get over and give them the right-of-way. Fast driving and a bit of impatience is a common thing nowadays, but who would be stupid enough to do what that kid did to Dad??

Several months ago my neighbor was hit on the highway while on an older open station tractor pulling a spray rig. The driver of the other vehicle barely slowed down before impact and totaled the spray rig, knocked over the tractor and ripped the rear wheel off. The neighbor was thrown in the ditch, drenched in chemical and knocked unconscious. Fortunatly he was revived and was fully ambulatory afterwards. He did move around pretty slow for a few weeks but was darned lucky. To top it off the driver had NO insurance. I have heard through our law enforcement that the number of drivers (mostly city folk no doubt) have no idea what an SMV sign means.

So for any city folk who might read this: SLOW DOWN when you see ag equipment ahead of you!

milesvb":r6wkxvsv said:
So for any city folk who might read this: SLOW DOWN when you see ag equipment ahead of you!

You'd think that'd be a no-brainer and just plain common sense when the tractor takes up 90% of the road. :shock: We get some HUGE equipment going past our place to work in the potato fields.

milesvb":o82ecvo0 said:

And GET OVER when you see equipment coming your way!! ESPECIALLY a swather, or a combine!! Dad had a good story of busting up the mailman's brand new truck with an old swather by accident some thirty years ago! No one was hurt, luckly!

Seems like the most dangerous road anybody can ever be on are country roads, even though there are numerous accounts of highway accidents and collisions

Latest posts