Immigration by the Numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

My impression was that he was talking about legal immigration and I can tell you from experience that legal immigration is not representative of actual immigration statistics so his presentation is kind of null and void for me.
I do agree that we need to find a way to help people where they live. I believe that exporting capitalism is a good place to start. Not pandering to political heads of state that don't allow their people to prosper is also a good start.

cow pollinater":2wgbxnx4 said:
My impression was that he was talking about legal immigration and I can tell you from experience that legal immigration is not representative of actual immigration statistics so his presentation is kind of null and void for me.
I do agree that we need to find a way to help people where they live. I believe that exporting capitalism is a good place to start. Not pandering to political heads of state that don't allow their people to prosper is also a good start.

What makes it null and void. It may not adress illegal immigration but that was not the point he was trying to make. The point was doubling or increasing legal immigration as a tool to fight poverty is a waste of time.

cow pollinater":22falwu8 said:

I agree with your last two points.

The first one though? Nope - and a hard nope.

Having been heavily involved in "helping" people around the world for nearly 20 years I am now of the opinion that they can go hungry until my own country is looked after. And I freely admit there are many cultures I would completely close the doors to. Makes me sound hard but now-a-days certain cultures bring their baggage with them rather than parking it when they arrive.

Charity begins at home for me now.

Cheers

Bez

Interesting presentation, however the $2/day argument is a bit disingenuous, the dollars per day sound small but what can you buy with that $2? Will that feed your family for a week? A month? Not even a day? Poverty is relative. The "poor" in America have cable TV, food stamps, obesity and personalized ringtones. Having gone through the whole immigration process here myself it is not cheap, not efficient and geared up for lawyers. It was interesting that at my swearing in ceremony there were 44 people from 30 different nations of all ages and not a single one from Mexico...

robert":3suumb4r said:
Interesting presentation, however the $2/day argument is a bit disingenuous, the dollars per day sound small but what can you buy with that $2? Will that feed your family for a week? A month? Not even a day? Poverty is relative. The "poor" in America have cable TV, food stamps, obesity and personalized ringtones. Having gone through the whole immigration process here myself it is not cheap, not efficient and geared up for lawyers. It was interesting that at my swearing in ceremony there were 44 people from 30 different nations of all ages and not a single one from Mexico...
Congrats on becoming a citizen.. or should i say my condolences? anyway most Mexican that "cross the border" that i have met, do not want to become citizens. Not sure how it all works but they mostly come here and earn what we call "cheap labor" but there its "good money" They work hard here and send the money to Mexico. And unfortunately the more I learn about charities, the less likely I will donate to any of them anymore. If I knew of a family or families that were truly struggling to eat, ect I would help them. You guys need to look at the families that fell between the cracks of government aid. They are the ones that have 2 incomes and make just a few dollars above the min amount to qualify. Those are the people I would help. that's my :2cents: super big hugs

Thank you, it was an unforgettable experience!

I agree Shantilly, especially about the charity aspect and the Mexican immigration, the pols who use that as a racial wedge and push citizenship or path to citizenship either ignorantly or deceptively promote that line. If you simply give citizenship to all the Mexicans in every city all you do is establish a little Mexican army in every city in the land, there is no assimilation, no loyalty to the USA.

3waycross":1j3ruanv said:
cow pollinater":1j3ruanv said:

What makes it null and void. It may not adress illegal immigration but that was not the point he was trying to make. The point was doubling or increasing legal immigration as a tool to fight poverty is a waste of time.

Talking about immigration and not mentioning illegal immigration is about like talking about steers and not mentioning holsteins. It's a huge sector of the industry. And I know for a fact that the families of illegals that stay home do very much prosper from the money generated here as it all gets sent back home.

snake67":12tcsl3r said:
cow pollinater":12tcsl3r said:

I agree with your last two points.

The first one though? Nope - and a hard nope.

Having been heavily involved in "helping" people around the world for nearly 20 years I am now of the opinion that they can go hungry until my own country is looked after. And I freely admit there are many cultures I would completely close the doors to. Makes me sound hard but now-a-days certain cultures bring their baggage with them rather than parking it when they arrive.

Charity begins at home for me now.

Cheers

Bez

Since the guys lecture was about how to help people I responded as though I was trying to help people. I tend to agree with you. I even get riled up when I hear about the gap between the rich and poor here at home and some politician has a plan to even it out. YOU CAN'T! It's a mindset problem not an income problem. As soon as you turn around everyone just goes right back to the same lifestyle they were living before you tried to help.
Tough love is the best way. That way they either get it figured out or fail. Subsidizing failure just leads to more failure until it becomes entire generations of failure.

It's interesting that our gov is in a standoff about extending unemployment benefits for some 1.3 million folks, while at the same time, saying we need to let more immigrants into our country.

There should be some threshold for the unemployment rate before ANY new folks are allowed into the country.

And get rid of the anchor baby rule too.

In the law there is no such thing as an anchor baby. When we were going through the legal process our two daughters were born here, they are American citizens by birth however if my wife, son and I failed to maintain legal status and were deported the fact that we had American citizen children would not keep us here, they would be deported with us but would have the option to return as adults (18yrs old) and at that point they could petition for the rest of the family to come back. Not likely as once deported through legal process it would be extraordinarily difficult to return legally. The illegals are using the 'born in America citizenship' for their children to provide future benefit. Law enforcement of immigration is geared to legal immigration because quite simply it is easy to enforce.

Latest posts