I'm thinking of using this bull on some heifers...

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
FB Charolais on some stud heifers. What do you think?
p1_ijoufflu.jpg

Man why is no one biting. :(

His progeny over here are fantastic and consistent. For a french bull his leg structure isn't too bad. A lot of them are terribly sickle hocked.

Red Bull Breeder":dmytd0vr said:
What kinda birth weight does he have??
See I wanted more people to comment about this. I was looking at semen sires and came across this bull who has a negative value for both calving ease and birth weight. Which just goes to show you can have some fantastic bulls that still have calving ease. I wondered if people would automatically jump on me just by his looks.

His name is Ijoufflu fyi.

Wouldn't a negative calving ease be a bad thing? In the Angus EPD's if the birth weight was negative and the calving ease was negative, that would lead me to believe people have been pulling calves.

Well I was looking at his EBVs which is the Australian version and I think it's the other way around because he's being promoted as a calving ease bull.
His Body shape and smooth shoulders give his calving ease index of +109.

Beefy- stud/registered

aussie_cowgirl":18cq99cq said:
Well I was looking at his EBVs which is the Australian version and I think it's the other way around because he's being promoted as a calving ease bull.
His Body shape and smooth shoulders give his calving ease index of +109.

Beefy- stud/registered

You might want to check out the Breedplan database to compare his EBV's- although he has a positive (preferred) Calving Ease Direct figure, it's worse than breed average and his birth weight rates in the highest 20% of the breed.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2122222326

The bull would certainly have his uses, but I'd say there may be better Charolais to try on heifers.

In NZ dairy bulls have a 'calving difficulty' score which is often mis-reported as calving ease.
You might want to check for sure which way round those numbers go.

I also had a breeding advisor tell me a certain bull with a high calving difficulty was 'safe' because his calves tended to come a week early. I'm still wondering how a high birth-weight bull manages to gain a high calving difficulty score if he's not causing calving issues.

To me, the bull and his calves have a very weak top and are sickle hocked. That makes me not want to even use him on mature cows.

CPL":1ryqar6j said:
To me, the bull and his calves have a very weak top and are sickle hocked. That makes me not want to even use him on mature cows.
im with you on the top line, just dont see the sickle hocks ,,,

I don't really like him Aussie. I am not crazy about his top line and something about him as a whole doesn't look quite right.

As far as his "epd's" they have a very high accuracy and it says he throws large calves with difficulty (but the cow may also be the one with the problem which does inflence pd's as well). I wouldn't use him on heifers but I would use him on some cows that tend to throw puny birth weights and have below average ween weights and use him as terminal .

Give it a try and let us know next year what you get, you never know he may be just what works for you. :)

i would be afraid to use a that breed on a heifer everyone that i have known has had calving trouble. but it thats the breed you want and you think your heifers can handle it it seems like a good bull. Just might take some extra watching during calving season.

The French bred Charolais are very different to Aus/American bred. They have a completely different look. Even though Ijoufflu's back dips, I think at well over a ton if that's the most it's dipped then it's not too bad. If I used him it would be on FB Charolais so I wouldn't have such an issue because within the breed calving isn't such an issue with correct female selection. I have got some other bulls in mind but I just wanted to see the reaction to this bull. I like this breed a lot, as a terminal sire they are amazing.

Latest posts