im thinkin bobcat??

Help Support CattleToday:

Could be, but I don't think they are. They'd likely be a lot deeper, and vertical, if it was a scratching post. They'd also be more spread apart. I get scratches on posts here that look just like that, and surprisingly enough it's usually squirrels.

Looking at all 3 pics, whatever it is, there is more than one because of the spaces between the individual claw marks. Some of the marks are close together--others farther apart.
Different ages of the animals in question.

I do not think it's bobcat.
Doesn't take much to make marks on a weathered post. It could even be birds of some kind--or something after birds that may perch on the horizontal post in that H. Is that white stuff in the first picture bird poop?

not poop..but those marks are spread apart kinda far to be a claw..i mean I think it was a pretty big paw/claw

idk..game cam be up near there this weekend...

A game cam will answer the question, but don't leave it there too long. If it's squirrels, they'll chew it up. :lol2: :lol2:

Habitat:

The fox squirrel may be found throughout Florida in open woods, pine and cypress stands, and mangrove swamps, but they are protected from hunting throughout the state. Of the four subspecies found in Florida, two are listed as protected species. Sherman's Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger shermani, a species of special concern, is found in the open piney woods of central and Northeastern Florida. The Big Cypress Fox Squirrel Sciurus niger avicennia, a threatened species is found from the Everglades region, in Lee county, to the southern part of Dade county. Fox squirrels in the western panhandle belong to a less vulnerable, more widespread subspecies.

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profi ... -squirrel/

yup..we can take grays but not the fox..theyre huge. when you see one stand up in the pasture youre just ..wow..look at the size of that thing...

Fox squirrels are the most populous squirrel in Texas, and yes, they'll gnaw on anything plastic or wood.
I've had them chew off the end of the plastic tube the corn comes out of on my deer feeders every year and seen their teeth marks on hot fence insulators.
Different species than the Fla variety it appears.

VARIETIES IN TEXAS
According to Phil Goodrum, a noted squirrel biologist, there are three
varieties of fox squirrels which occur in Texas.
The Pineywoods Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger ludovicianus, of eastern
Texas is the largest variety in Texas, weighing an average of 1.7 pounds
and measuring 20 inches from the nose to the tip of the tailbone.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwd ... 0_0028.pdf

We also have what we call 'cat squirrels' here--another fox squirrel species. Little scrawny things.
AFAIK, none are protected.

M-5":hst2e9ue said:
Habitat:

The fox squirrel may be found throughout Florida in open woods, pine and cypress stands, and mangrove swamps, but they are protected from hunting throughout the state. Of the four subspecies found in Florida, two are listed as protected species. Sherman's Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger shermani, a species of special concern, is found in the open piney woods of central and Northeastern Florida. The Big Cypress Fox Squirrel Sciurus niger avicennia, a threatened species is found from the Everglades region, in Lee county, to the southern part of Dade county. Fox squirrels in the western panhandle belong to a less vulnerable, more widespread subspecies.

That's very interesting and informative M5. That's very unusual for you.

Deepsouth":3lgku30f said:
M-5":3lgku30f said:
Habitat:

That's very interesting and informative M5. That's very unusual for you.

I'm impressed that your comprehension skills have improved in your absence .

Latest posts