I'm so tired, health related

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So i went to the Dr because i am having troubles with energy throughout the day. If i could sleep 30 hours a day i would. After a load of blood tests it seems i am low on iron, probably since november for sure because i've been tired a while. The good thing is that the hemoglobbin is not low. It is on the low end of normal, but not below.
I guess the average iron in the blood for a female my age should be about 50-65. I am at 26.5 I forgot to ask the Dr if i should take supplements, and just got the call that i should and return for blood work in about 8 weeks. Problem is i need the energy now. We start calving in two weeks. I have to admit that i have been eating alot especially carbs and protien to boost energy cause i have been so tired. So I need to get the iron up and now the weight down.
Could be on interesting season.

ga. prime":18wbr9m3 said:
Geritol- for iron poor blood. That's what Lawrence Welk always said.
:lol: That's the first thing I thought of too. Wonder if you can still get the alcohol based stuff?

Sorry to hear that RR, I hate it when you can't seem to get enough sleep . Especially with calving around the corner. My suggestion is go to bed now and do not get up until you have to pick the munchkins up Monday morn. ;-) But since you probably cannot do that , I would eat as much foods as you can that are high in iron.
Foods high in iron :
Liver and other meats
Seafood
Dried fruits like apricots, prunes and raisins
Nuts
Beans, especially lima beans
Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
Blackstrap molasses
Whole grains
Iron-fortified breads and cereals (check the label)

Your body best absorbs the iron in meats. Eating a small amount of meat along with other sources of iron, such as certain vegetables, can help you get even more iron out of these foods. Taking vitamin C pills or eating foods high in vitamin C, such as citrus fruits or juice, at the same time you eat iron-rich foods or take your iron pill can help your body absorb the iron better.

Some foods block the absorption of iron. These include coffee, tea, egg yolks, milk, fiber and soy protein. Try to avoid these when you're eating food high in iron.

Good luck and I hope you get your energy back soon.. :)

1982vett":2lztsm9h said:
ga. prime":2lztsm9h said:
Geritol- for iron poor blood. That's what Lawrence Welk always said.
:lol: That's the first thing I thought of too. Wonder if you can still get the alcohol based stuff?

Yep I have some in the medicine cabinet.
Taking in to many carbs can zapp your energy as well. Eat the foods listed low on the GI index and your energy will get a boost as well. It a diabetic diet, same one you see weight watchers pushing.
http://www.herbalvitality.info/aw/glycemic_index.htm

Thanks all,

for the last week or so we have consumed a fair bit of red meat and i have been reading about it. Just wish i would have found out about it sooner. Any how we go to town on Monday and will pick some iron up then. But with doing a fair bit of reading about it, to much can be dangerous because the body stores the excess in the liver posing the risk to hemocromatosis (sp). I think that is the word.

Thanks

I hd the same problem-tired tired...turned out I was bleeding to death slowly because of the colen cancer....you go get checked,hear!? Don't let "them" tell you you're just getting older,so you gotta expect to be tired :mad: :frowns: :devil2:

rockridgecattle":143f743q said:
So i went to the Dr because i am having troubles with energy throughout the day. If i could sleep 30 hours a day i would. After a load of blood tests it seems i am low on iron, probably since november for sure because i've been tired a while. The good thing is that the hemoglobbin is not low. It is on the low end of normal, but not below.
I guess the average iron in the blood for a female my age should be about 50-65. I am at 26.5 I forgot to ask the Dr if i should take supplements, and just got the call that i should and return for blood work in about 8 weeks. Problem is i need the energy now. We start calving in two weeks. I have to admit that i have been eating alot especially carbs and protien to boost energy cause i have been so tired. So I need to get the iron up and now the weight down.
Could be on interesting season.

Low iron weird. I was about to tell you before getting blood tested to have a sleep study done as you might have sleep apnea. I reckon with the low iron and what not we can rule that out though.

Ok, so they said low iron, not to be an alarmist but are they looking for a reason why? Maybe a second opinion if possible.

RR if they decide to give you iron injections, may I suggest you have something to eat before you go as after the taste in the mouth is harendous, and everything tastes of cardboard. Hope all goes well, take care....Chris.

Latest posts