IM Shots - How to restrain cow w/ headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey, I just checked online for us and got the current prices.....

Priefert #97 manual headgate......$309.00
Priefert #91 auto headgate..........$379.00

Powder River autoheadgate.........$299.00

Filson auto heagate......................$356.00
Filson manual headgate................$230.00

Good luck, might be worth the drive for you. J & I is in Madill, OK....just across the TX/OK line...about 70 miles from my house, and I am right by Lake Lewisville.
http://www.jimfg.com

eric":3fy8etid said:
Hey, I just checked online for us and got the current prices.....

Priefert #97 manual headgate......$309.00
Priefert #91 auto headgate..........$379.00

jimfg.com

When you say you checked online, are the above prices for the Priefert at J&I in Madill?

hello,

just from ecperience, I would have to say never inject anywhere other than neck, SQ injecting is fine behind the elbow infront of the heart girth, or in the caudal folds of the tail, but rarely recommended other than for TB testing. When shots are given consistantly in the same region, you can tell with certainty when you have an injection site reaction and know with some degree what shots were given there.

I was also taught to use the smallest guage needle possible, a 1.5" needle with a 20 guage needle works great and they usually do not feel it, you should also be drawing back on yur plunger before injecting to ensure you are IM and not IV (intravenous) so that you don't end up with a cow in shock, 18 guage also work well. For really viscous material such as LA200 or LA300 or any of the thick fluid shots use the 16 guage .5 inch needles as they are usaly recommended to be given Sub Q thus, tent you skin, feel the needle slip under the hide, ensuring proper placement so material is not waisted, then inject, and always be calm and quiet and NOT in a hury, thus providing animal with a positive experience, this will lead to quieter handling with future treatments in the shoot area, with some exception to goofy cattle who never change.

There used to be a product marketed that was a tube (as was already mentioned) that connected between the syringe and the needle. If I remember right it was about 18" long. VERY handy and extremly easy to use. If the animal made any sudden movements I wouldn't drop or lose a syringe. In the hundreds of times I used it I never broke a needle, bent a few, but never broke one. I haven't seen this product advirtised lately but if you could find a short peice of regular IV tubing that should work just as well. Either from a vet, or if you know of someone in the medical field.

Michelle":2vt2jsrl said:
hello,

just from ecperience, I would have to say never inject anywhere other than neck, SQ injecting is fine behind the elbow infront of the heart girth, or in the caudal folds of the tail, but rarely recommended other than for TB testing.

I thought all shots should be given SQ, in the neck, when given the choice between SQ and IM??

Heard it called a slap shot, and fellow tells me he can vacinate using one while the cows are feeding from the grain trough.
Reckon thats true?

if you have help, have your assisstant pull straight up on their tail...they will stand still for you

When you do get ready to purchase your squeeze chute take a look at the Person. It is the easiest to use and is strong. It will squeeze down to about 6 inches for calves and will handle a 2000 lb bull without making any adjustments. There is a dealer in Corsicana, TX. You can also see them at the Houston Livestock Show. I don't sell them, I just use them.

Anonymous":32dpihtq said:
if you have help, have your assisstant pull straight up on their tail...they will stand still for you

They might. But it will be just after they've kicked your assistant about 20 feet through the air.

Craig-TX

This pulling the tail up over the back works. It supposedly cuts off the nerves in their back end or something. We castrate our bulls with a scalpel and I hold the tail and my brother cuts and pulls. He's never been kicked yet.

I should clarify that a bit. We have cut animals up to 18 months doing this. Last year my brother used two yearling bulls to breed his cows. Afterwards, he cut them and plans to sell them in the spring as steers because with this BSE thing, if you hold them past 30 months in Canada they are almost worthless.

I'm glad you clarified, as the original post had to do with adult cows. I've heard that trick all my life but I would never trust it. Twisting tails is a good way to motivate animals down a chute but pulling tails up in the air… different story. It can work if the calf is young enough that you lift so they don't have their feet planted. On an 18 month old bull or a cow, I'm personally not getting behind them. Not as long as there's nothing between us but air and opportunity. I'd rather have a good stick or two of oilfield pipe stuck through the chute.

Craig-TX

I'd better add my own clarification. Any tail twisting by yours truly is done by reaching over the chute – not from behind.

Craig-TX

I never meant to stand in the chute with the cow or behind, also don,t twist the tail lift straight up

Cattle Rack Rancher":2bbidymu said:
This pulling the tail up over the back works. It supposedly cuts off the nerves in their back end or something. We castrate our bulls with a scalpel and I hold the tail and my brother cuts and pulls. He's never been kicked yet.

I had a veterinarian show me that trick a few years back. I thought he said it caused a release of endorphins. Heck, I could be way off. I know it sure works good when castrating in the chute. You want to get hold as close as you can to the tail head.

Rod

Latest posts