IM Shots - How to restrain cow w/ headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have ideas for how to restrain cows in headgate for IM shots in the neck?

If I try to give IM shot while cow has her neck far enough out front of headgate, she tends to rare back. If try to give shot on shoulder side of neck behind headgate, cow bolts forward. Either are bad for needle and my hands! I’ve tried putting boards behind cow so she can’t back-up, but cow still moves too much.

Would halter or nose-lead work to keep head and neck extended forward enough? If yes, which do you recommend? I’ve got 30 cows to work and slipping halter on & off each cow is really going to eat time.

One more question - If I use halter or nose-lead, would it be okay to turn head to the side so more neck is exposed? The neck IM diagrams I’ve seen show head & neck straight. I just wanted to make sure bending the neck wouldn’t hurt the cow.

In the past years I’ve been giving the moma-cows their booster IM shots in the rump. I know these cows will someday be hamburger so I’m assuming I need to start doing the right thing and do IM shots in the neck, but let me know if it is really only important to do IM shots in the neck for steers and heifers headed for the feedlot.

A squeeze-shoot isn’t in my budget yet. Next year – I hope. I know it’s the safest way.

Thanks – I’ve learned a lot from this board over the last few years.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I know what you mean - we use a friend's head catch to give shots.

Have you tried sticking the needle [no syringe attached] into the neck with a quick thrust, then wait a few seconds for the cow to settle down, then slip the syringe onto the needle and push the med in? It can help to thump on the spot with your fist a few times, then pop the needle into that spot. Often the cow doesn't even notice the needle.

I give the shots in the neck behind the head catch, not in front because the cow can't see the needle coming. Definitely put a stout post or bar behind the cow.

You can use a nose lead, but you should be able to do the shots without it. Pulling the head to one side with a nose lead will be ok when giving shots. I tried the halter bit and it doesn't work very well. I'd just work on your needle popping skills.

You also may need to adjust the head catch so it is a little tighter when closed.

> Does anyone have ideas for how to
> restrain cows in headgate for IM
> shots in the neck?

> If I try to give IM shot while cow
> has her neck far enough out front
> of headgate, she tends to rare
> back. If try to give shot on
> shoulder side of neck behind
> headgate, cow bolts forward.
> Either are bad for needle and my
> hands! I’ve tried putting boards
> behind cow so she can’t back-up,
> but cow still moves too much.

> Would halter or nose-lead work to
> keep head and neck extended
> forward enough? If yes, which do
> you recommend? I’ve got 30 cows to
> work and slipping halter on &
> off each cow is really going to
> eat time.

> One more question - If I use
> halter or nose-lead, would it be
> okay to turn head to the side so
> more neck is exposed? The neck IM
> diagrams I’ve seen show head &
> neck straight. I just wanted to
> make sure bending the neck
> wouldn’t hurt the cow.

> In the past years I’ve been giving
> the moma-cows their booster IM
> shots in the rump. I know these
> cows will someday be hamburger so
> I’m assuming I need to start doing
> the right thing and do IM shots in
> the neck, but let me know if it is
> really only important to do IM
> shots in the neck for steers and
> heifers headed for the feedlot.

> A squeeze-shoot isn’t in my budget
> yet. Next year – I hope. I know
> it’s the safest way.

> Thanks – I’ve learned a lot from
> this board over the last few
> years.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Jerry...never-ever give shots in areas other than the neck region. In some instances, injections can be given on the underside of the tail head, but this practice is not recommended for the novice. I would advise you to research Beef Quality Assurance practices to hone up on acceptable injection sites and as well as recommended medication amounts per site.

For more difficult animals, we put the cow in the head gate and halter them as well. You should be able to pull the animal forward and snub them up till the injections are given. Using this same method, you can also arch the neck in either direction to make injection sites more accessable. We believe the quicker you can do this the better for you and your animal. Good luck!

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Our head gate is set about 12 inched back from 2 poles that are part of the stall the cow goes through as she leaves the chute. One of those posts has a swinging gate that closes that side of the stall, but can also be brought around in front of the head gate. This leaves just enough room between the head gate and the swinging gate for the cows head. She will pull back and leave her whole neck exposed behind the head gate for the shot. Quick and handy for a difficult cow.



[email protected]
 

TXBobcat

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
782
Reaction score
0
Location
China Spring, TX
Any other helpful hints for giving shots in the neck on cattle restrained by only a headgate? We are planning to get a model 97 Priefert manual headgate, and I would like to know everyone's thoughts on how well they are able to vaccinate using only a headgate.
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
I had to pen a cow yesterday to treat foot rot. In using LA 200 you have to use multiple injection sites. I was able to get some neck shots by standing on the catwalk and reaching over the chute wall down to the neck. Adjusted head catch to be pretty snug so I didn't have too much up and down movement from the cow. I've given neck shots plenty of times before I even had a head gate. Just need to be prepared to "follow" the movements while the needle is in the site. Automatic syringe might be a big improvement over big disposable syringe. Seems to be a lot faster and easier. I ordered one from Valley Vet. I'll put it to work at Spring workup.
 

Craig-TX

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
This might go without saying, but make sure your needle is sharp. It will be a lot easier and less noticeable to a nervous animal than trying to shove a dull needle through their hide.

Also, make the injection quickly. Get the hide pinched up, poke it quickly, and if the animal starts jumping just let go of the syringe. It will stay in and you can grab it and inject after the pitching stops.

Craig-TX
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
I have heard of using a piece of surgical tubing between the needle and the syringe. I would think a foot long piece would work great. The only time your hand needs be in harms way is when you actaully stick the needle in. I've had too many needles break when the cow jumps forward if I let go of the syringe.

dun
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
I use 16 gauge by 1.5". never had any break yet, but I've gotten pretty good at moving with the cow when they pitch, or backing off and letting them settle for a minute. Make sure catch is adjusted to be fairly snug on the animals neck to alleviate additional movement. Tight won't hurt if the job is done quickly and she is released. We try to get the pour ons done before the cattle even enter the catch chute, to minimize lock down time. I never thought of using a piece of rubber tubing. Good idea. Always helps to listen to an oldtimer.
 

TXBobcat

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
782
Reaction score
0
Location
China Spring, TX
Do ya'll give the shots in the neck behind the headgate or in front of the headgate? Do you use a chain or other restarint around the nose head area to keep them from jumping forward and hitting your hand or needle?

Also, speaking of headgates, I found the Priefert auto/manual headgate for $500.00 and the manual only for $410.00 at McCoys. Does this sound pretty reasonable?
 

Craig-TX

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
I always give the shot behind the headgate. Just climb over them and straddle. That’s another reason you don’t want a wide chute. If the chute is narrow they can’t do all that much in a headgate. With calves I get in the chute with them. Just walk up beside them and lean them into the chute. If Martha Stewart was working calves that way she would say that steel toed boots are a good thing.

I haven’t had needles break all that often. Shoot them up high so it won’t get caught between them and the side if you let go. Another thing that goes without saying… never reach through the side of a chute. That’s a great recipe for a broken arm.

Craig-TX
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
I do behind the gate, but adjust the gate to be snug on the neck. I have a catwalk on the chute that I stand on and reach over to the neck. No problems. I'm thinking of making one of the side boards on the chute open so I can just reach through rather than over.
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
D.R. Cattle":3geyycze said:
I do behind the gate, but adjust the gate to be snug on the neck. I have a catwalk on the chute that I stand on and reach over to the neck. No problems. I'm thinking of making one of the side boards on the chute open so I can just reach through rather than over.

we also reach over instead of through. i realize the comment was made that a squeeze chute was not in the budget now, but if giving neck injections is a big problem, when you do buy a chute, they now make them with neck extenders
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
Price sounds about right. For the extra 90 bucks go with the automatic. You don't need to use it if you don't want to, but it's darn near invaluable if you need it and don't have it. Behind th gate, no nose restrainet. That would probably make it too easy and take half the challenge out of it.

dun

TXBobcat":3jktmfc5 said:
Do ya'll give the shots in the neck behind the headgate or in front of the headgate? Do you use a chain or other restarint around the nose head area to keep them from jumping forward and hitting your hand or needle?

Also, speaking of headgates, I found the Priefert auto/manual headgate for $500.00 and the manual only for $410.00 at McCoys. Does this sound pretty reasonable?
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
9
Location
MO Ozarks
It;s the nub that the needle fits over on the syringe that I have break. Reflexes aren't as good as they used to be.

dun


D.R. Cattle":1lycsp26 said:
I use 16 gauge by 1.5". never had any break yet, but I've gotten pretty good at moving with the cow when they pitch, or backing off and letting them settle for a minute. Make sure catch is adjusted to be fairly snug on the animals neck to alleviate additional movement. Tight won't hurt if the job is done quickly and she is released. We try to get the pour ons done before the cattle even enter the catch chute, to minimize lock down time. I never thought of using a piece of rubber tubing. Good idea. Always helps to listen to an oldtimer.
 

TLCfromARK

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
551
Reaction score
0
Location
Southwest Arkansas
We use a nose catch and tye their head to one side while giving injections. Doesn't seem to hurt them and it's faster than putting a halter on them.
;-)
 

eric

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Location
Tx.......just north of Dallas
Also, speaking of headgates, I found the Priefert auto/manual headgate for $500.00 and the manual only for $410.00 at McCoys. Does this sound pretty reasonable?[/quote]

You might want to check out jimfg.com they sell Filson equipment, not sure if it is any good, but it is about $150 bucks cheaper than TSC..maybe someone here can give some insight as to reliability of filson Equipment
 

Similar threads

A
Replies
5
Views
1K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
11
Views
3K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
2
Views
3K
Anonymous
A
Top