Im new to cattle and trying to decide on breed to go with

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":yel4qnts said:
Brandonm2":yel4qnts said:
I agree with S&S farms, the English cattle are a LITTLE easier to get your feet with than the French or the Italian breeds. Angus, Herefods, and Angus times Herefords are typically going to be easier to get bred, calve out, wean a higher percentage, and have the added bonus of being both plentiful and have good market acceptance.

The Braunvieh are good cattle and should bring well at any yard in Alabama. Crossed with Angus they will do very well. On a given day, your Romagnolas may be the only Italian cattle in the stockyard making it difficult for them to fit well in the order buyers loads which SOMETIMES and in SOME stockyards could cost you significantly.

thats exactly right nova... some will try to "pawn" off their culls to make a profit. Kinda like a used car salesman. Reminds me of when I went to look at some registered Red Angus, when I got around asking if he was willing to part with any, he only had ONE that he would like to sell. Not any better price mind you, but I finally got out of him that the heifer was not good in a chute. For some reason she got wild.. and of course, thats the one he wanted to sell. I dont buy unless I am the one getting to chose what I want.

Double Ditto

Think about the end result. Selling them. What will you get? How hard will it be to sell? Maybe straight Angus or Herford or cross to get your feet wet. Remember the guy trying to sell you on something needs to get rid of his stock also and will try to convince you that it is no problem with big profits.

THG":25zrlh6n said:
Boss Cowman":25zrlh6n said:
I have a neighbor that runs braunvieh and tops them with angus bulls. They seem like real easy going cattle that wean monster calves.
Like to find about 350 to 400 braunvieh commercial good brood cows. Know anyone that my have some for sale that are good mommas?

THG
:lol2: :lol2: :dunce: :dunce: The Hyper Goof has spun off into space again! :roll: :roll: It is a compulsion with him!

DOC HARRIS

No, just thinking about how good they would make for recipient cows in a donor cow program.

THG

THG":zjfam0jl said:
No, just thinking about how good they would make for recipient cows in a donor cow program.

THG

You need 400 recipient cows? You must have one heck of embryo system going on!

aplusmnt":3uvd7w8t said:
THG":3uvd7w8t said:

THG

You need 400 recipient cows? You must have one heck of embryo system going on!
Not currently, but it would be nice to have that many good females walking arounf with good thick hereford progeny at there sides.

THG

im on the other side from you.in probably the coldest area of ala. braunvieh would do ok here as for as the heat . but dont know how they would do at the sale barn

DOC HARRIS":2sv7gjx0 said:
THG":2sv7gjx0 said:

THG
:roll: :???: :arrow: :kid:

DOC HARRIS

I was thinking along these lines. :banana: Thanks Macon!

ALACOWMAN":3lvdj8kb said:
while were wish'in i would love too have. o say 500 brangus moma cows. complete with a Debter hereford bull battery ;-)

Heck with THAT, if we are asking God to give us special favors today, let's make it simple on HIM.....just wire transfer $75 million into MY account, I can then drive up to Perry Debter's OR Camp Cooley and pick out my own cows and save Him all that trouble. I will even handle the tax filings AND make a contribution to the Church of His choice.

Latest posts