Im new and needing some advice!

Help Support CattleToday:

ebauer85

Reaction score
I am new to all the cattle raising and I am really considering about starting my own little herd. I am not really looking to make a big profit on the cattle at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future I will consider it. But I wont be scared to make some money if it is there.I dont know whether to start with a couplecalves or what. I live in southern Indiana and I have talked with several farmers and their choice of cattle is usually Angus. I own around 4 acres of already fenced in area and I am needing some advice on what to start with, how to maintain my pasture, what age and size to buy the calves at and what is the best way to feed the cattle (Pasture fed or grain fed). I will not be in a big hurry to sell the cattle so I dont know if it is even necessary to even put them on grain. Like I said, I would just like some advice on the scenario I have and what will benefit me the most.
Thanks

Keep in mind that if you start this time of the year what ever you start with will need hay and water . Also some type of shelter or windbreak . I would guess maybe three feeder calves on 4 acres would be your limit if feeding grass only . Quality of pasture and weather will make a difference as to the amount you raise . good luck with your project .

I wasnt really gonna start till the spring in the first place really. I have a couple farmers that I have talked to that would let me buy some calves off of. When would be a good time of year to buy. Is Feb or March to early due to cold weather?

Depends on where you are. Here in Georgia, I would wait until mid April or the first of May. By then the frost chances are over and the grass is up pretty good. The problem with waiting is by that time calf prices are started back up from dropping off for the winter. Basically we either put our money in hay to feed through the winter\early spring, or we put our money in spring calves after prices are starting to climb.

In Indiana, I would wait until April. Do you know what type of grass you have in the pasture? You will probably need to hit that pasture with some fertilizer and possible some overseeding. I would start out with a couple head of beef breed cattle. I am predegest to Angus as that is what we raise. Second choice would be Herfords. My third choice would be a cross. Maybe baldy. That is just my prefenence. The beef breed calves will cost you a couple more bucks when you buy them but it will pay when you sell them. As for feeding I will leave that advice up to someone with more expenence in feeder cattle. We deal more with seedstock. Most important thing is "KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS". Good luck :tiphat:

That's not much land. If your land is constantly overgrazed you're creating all sorts of problems, and you will need infrastructure and equipment that you can't justify with one or two cows.

ebauer85":1cdhmar6 said:
I am new to all the cattle raising and I am really considering about starting my own little herd. I am not really looking to make a big profit on the cattle at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future I will consider it. But I wont be scared to make some money if it is there.I dont know whether to start with a couplecalves or what. I live in southern Indiana and I have talked with several farmers and their choice of cattle is usually Angus. I own around 4 acres of already fenced in area and I am needing some advice on what to start with, how to maintain my pasture, what age and size to buy the calves at and what is the best way to feed the cattle (Pasture fed or grain fed). I will not be in a big hurry to sell the cattle so I dont know if it is even necessary to even put them on grain. Like I said, I would just like some advice on the scenario I have and what will benefit me the most.
Thanks

Read the Top post called RAISING CATTLE ON A FEW ACRES : That should help alot then ask questions about whatever is not answered there.. I have learned that people come on here the same as me and ask the exact same questions I asked. Just like yourself. So I posted some helpful information on what acreage and Operration etc.. Just read it, it helped me alot :)

Latest posts