I'm new and have a question

Help Support CattleToday:

dAsranch03

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me out in choosing a good breed of beef cattle that will be the most likely to get our newly started ranch productive and profitable.

Welcome to the Boards! Many people like to select a breed well-suited for the environment that they make them live and work in. Knowing your location would be helpful.

dAsranch03":3qy3na97 said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me out in choosing a good breed of beef cattle that will be the most likely to get our newly started ranch productive and profitable.
Of course I am biased, I wouldn't be raising Herefords if I didn't like them best, but if you are not in such a tropical climate that you have to have a little Brahman influence to beat the insects and extreme heat, many would agree with me that it's hard to beat a English breed such as Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn. For a commercial herd, an Angus bull on Hereford cows or a Hereford bull on Angus cows will consistently produce a good-selling calf in most areas. If you are a little further south, Brafords, Brangus, or Super-baldies(BrangusXHereford) might fit the bill. Of course I'm just one opinion. A moderate-framed breed will fit the packer's box, and take less grass and feed to support. See the breed listing on CattleToday. Good luck!

I'm sorry I suppose I should've given you more information on where we live. We live in East Texas and right now we only have about 30 acres of land total, so we don't have a whole lot of room, but we need to get started before we can purchase more land, thank you for your reply greenwillowherefords, your input is helpful, I have been trying to go to different sites to find the most suitable and most profitable, however they don't tell you which breed sells the best they just give you charactaristics of the breeds and their sizes.

Go to your local sale barn and see what sells in your area. Talk to others around you that are raising cattle on a small scale to see what they raise and how they do things.
Decide how you want to market your cattle, then investigate that particular market to determine the demand.

dun

Thanks dun for that advice, I will let my dad know what you said and he can do with it what he wants. I just moved here a month ago so I don't know any local ranchers to be able to talk to them is why I'll have my dad do that. I just do the computer research part and help out with stuff that needs to be done around here, good practice for when I get the money to buy my own land one of these days.

Texan and Campground Cattle both llive in east Texas. They are both preferential to Herefords. I am in western Louisiana and am partial to Blk Angus and Red Angus. Txag, Campground, Texan or myself could probaly point you to some good breeders, both Commercial and Registered of these cattle. I'm sure there are others that could provide the same or better information, but I don't know where some of these are located because they show no location on their profile. Either of these breeds should work well for you, along with Angus X Hereford. Brangus, Angus Plus and the Super Baldies. Any of these breeds and crosses of top quality will be market toppers for you.

If I can be of any more assistance, feel free to send me a PM.

dasranch03- I won't be on our land till sometime in Dec but am not going to be far from you,out Corsicana way. These peope on this board give sound advice are very helpful and friendly. I feel as though i have known some for more than just a few weeks. Take the advice given and listen,I have learned more since I came here about cattle than I ever knew was possible.

Welcome to the boards!

I'm fairly close.. in central Texas, and down this way females really do better with a little Brahman influence in their genetics. Are you interested in registered cattle or commercial? We raise reg. Simmentals and Brahmans, and the "Simbrah " cross has done very well for us. The replacement heifers are really in demand.

In reference to your question about registered and commercial, I do believe that my daddy is looking more into commercial cattle, we do have 5 registered longhorns right now, but they aren't plannin on gettin anymore registered cattle. The registered ones are just for my mom basically so she can have some pet cattle

dAsranch03":304mdxu9 said:
In reference to your question about registered and commercial, I do believe that my daddy is looking more into commercial cattle, we do have 5 registered longhorns right now, but they aren't plannin on gettin anymore registered cattle. The registered ones are just for my mom basically so she can have some pet cattle

Welcome to the Board! If you need any help with your Longhorns in way of information, etc., feel free to e-mail me or PM me. We have a lot of info and photos on our website too as breeders of registered Longhorns.

Bill

I agree with Bull Lady, a little brahman blood in the herd in this part of Texas is a plus. Brangus type cows bred to Hereford bull create market topping calves as well as a Angus bull on Braford type cows. The brahman blood in the cow herd will help with calving ease.

Your best bet for commercial cows in your area is F1 tiger stripe cows (BrahmanX Herford) and put a Black Angus bull of them. You will get some really nice calves that are bringing a premium at the sale barn right now.

We run Brahman cross commercial cattle with a registered Simbrah bull on them. We just sold a bunch of calves that were five to six months old, and we averaged $1.47.1/2 a pound. With weights from 485 to 595. Straight out of the pasture off momma, no feed.

la4angus":2yrjttpy said:
Texan and Campground Cattle both llive in east Texas. They are both preferential to Herefords. I am in western Louisiana and am partial to Blk Angus and Red Angus. Txag, Campground, Texan or myself could probaly point you to some good breeders, both Commercial and Registered of these cattle. I'm sure there are others that could provide the same or better information, but I don't know where some of these are located because they show no location on their profile. Either of these breeds should work well for you, along with Angus X Hereford. Brangus, Angus Plus and the Super Baldies. Any of these breeds and crosses of top quality will be market toppers for you.

If I can be of any more assistance, feel free to send me a PM.

If I was starting out in East Texas I would run Angus or Brangus type cows with a Polled Hereford bull. Baldies always do great in the East Texas salebarns. I like a more moderate frame cow, Angus fits this bill.
Brangus are just tough, but I would not suggest for a beginner. Not dissing any bodies breed as I own some Brangus also.Brangus tend to come in two forms cool as ice or hotter than a firecracker.

I just want to tell all of you thank you so very much for all of your advice. I really appreciate it quite a bit! I didn't expect to get so many replies to my question, you are all great and I wish you all well with your cattle and everything else! Thank you! :eek:)

Latest posts