I'm losing my calves, maybe grass tetanus?

Help Support CattleToday:

tony arthur

Reaction score
I have been losing my some of my new calves and today I found a yearling heifer dead in the pasture. I am puzzled as to why I am losing them. Some say maybe lepto and that's what I thought til today when I found a yearling heifer dead in the pasture field. I lost four newborn calves as far as I could tell they were still born but this heifer I found today hadn't been sick. Anyone have any ideas? We have no vet help around here close.

I hope you vaccinate, if not yoy need to start. Could be any number of things. Even a half wit vet that can examine them would be able to do a much better job at finding the cause than someone on the internet that will never see them. First of all I would get one posted. Then go from there to try and save the rest of them. As far as grass tet. you need to be feeding high mag. minerals. Actually they should have been on this about a month before new growth. Good luck.

I've never heard of grass tetany killing newborns - mom maybe, but not causing stillbirths.
Either hard calving that you are not aware of - or a disease like IBR.
Yearling could die of grass tetany if you have good lush spring grass. If so, Bama is correct that you should HAVE been feeding High Mag mineral (loose mineral) a month ago. I would start now.
No matter how far away a vet is or how costly, sounds like you need to be getting one - or bring the stillborn to a vet or University for autopsy. You are having what we call an abortion storm - you could lose MOST of your calves at birth if you don't get everything vaccinated - and I'm ASSUMING they were not vaccinated prior to breeding.
Or is there any experienced producer anywhere near you? You need to be finding out what disease you are dealing with.

What kind of diagnosis did you come to with the dead heifer - other than that she was dead? Anything particularly interesting that you noted about her?

tony arthur":x2n3p1wb said:
I have been losing my some of my new calves and today I found a yearling heifer dead in the pasture. I am puzzled as to why I am losing them. Some say maybe lepto and that's what I thought til today when I found a yearling heifer dead in the pasture field. I lost four newborn calves as far as I could tell they were still born but this heifer I found today hadn't been sick. Anyone have any ideas? We have no vet help around here close.

You have no Ag University in your state.

If you have Blackleg the calfs legs will feel like frito's and you should be whipped.
Fifty cent innoloculation that boils down to just lazy.

Welcome to the boards Tony.
What a hit your taking. I would guess blackleg also but it could be something they are getting into.
Look at this site and maybe you could contact someone at Morgantowne or Reidsville. It doesn't look like your that far away on my yahoo map. 75-80 miles? It might be worth a days wages to drive down.
http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/areera/Re ... 862.WV.pdf

i imagine this time of year your heifer probably bloated and the calves are dying from some sort of disease. not grass tetany.

Man, I don't know how big your operation is but that has got to hurt any size herd.

I asked my vet about blackleg last time we vaccinated, because we had just bought some cattle a couple hundred miles away and we were told everyone there nails calves soon as they hit the ground for blackleg.

Our vet said blackleg was not a problem in our area and our once a year on the cows, and calves at weaning was sufficient. She did say we had to vaccinate for lepto because of how our farm allows the cattle to share areas with deer. What you are experiencing sounds more like lepto to me. Maybe something has changed in your area and you need to alter your vaccination program.

I am in a program where I have to have the vet by at least once a year, and she designs my vaccination protocols but even if I wasn't in that program I would have her take care of vaccinations and inspect the herd at the same time. Just good business, and liability protection. ( And do my darndest not to see her again until next year! ).

You did leave us a little short on info, but if you are real new you need to get some help out there before you lose everything. You could be dealing with 2 different problems as well, like Beefy said. But that is your call.

You should disregard comments from big hat no cattle and others of his ilk, the quality of his advice is evident. Just skip by that avatar everytime you see it.

As you can see there are others who give excellent advice without the pathetic character flaw of needing to extract a pound of flesh each time advice is given.

I for one would really like an update, once again your call.

Good Luck!!

Tony if we knew some of the symptoms you observed it would be helpful. It is impossible to take a guess without knowing what they looked like acted like crapped like and anything else you may have noticed.
I'd say grass tetany is unlikely. It usually occurs in early spring with rapidly growing green grass.
Are there vaccinations current???

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":azx6ac27 said:
AngusXlimo if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen is what I always say.

Who cares what you always say, and why step in to the thread with this when the man is asking for help?

And trompin on the guy asking for help with colostrum for spelling? You are a waste of space.

And to think I was really gonna ask you about Balancers. Of course you could claim your 12 year old hijacked the computer.

I guess you are leaving the kitchen? Or bring it up again elsewhere?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1q611xj3 said:
AngusXlimo if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen is what I always say.
There you go again, sticking both feet in your mouth again. You need to get a life or stay off the computer. Seems like you have some sort of problem with everyone. Maybe you need professional help. :roll:

ROCKSPRINGS":39l3ntj5 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":39l3ntj5 said:
There you go again, sticking both feet in your mouth again. You need to get a life or stay off the computer. Seems like you have some sort of problem with everyone. Maybe you need professional help. :roll:

you're probably right J.R.

Latest posts