I'm gonna try to make em pay

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
We did a job last week. As always called digtest the week before. Waited the required 48 hours and went to work.
Layed out fence and started guys driving tpost. I went to get a load of pipe post. Get a phone call. We've hit a water line. I don't think to much of it happens from time to time. Especially with water lines. I determine it's not a private line, and call the water company.
They have a crew out and have it fixed shortly.
The crew leader wondering why it's not located.
So the located man shows up. When I say something he rudely let's me know he had jury duty yesterday. I rudely let him know he should have called someone. Then things get different.
Usually it's just a matter of fixing the line and going on. This water line ran right down the property line. In fact we pulled up a old fence built right on top of it. They just hadn't gone deep enough to hit it. So it becomes obvious the fence can't go were I've drove 100 tpost.
It's going to have to be pulled out and moved.
I talked to the boss at the water company. He sent a engineer out the next morning. Who didn't even look at just apologized. I was obviously just being handled.
Things similar to this have happened over the years. If it's their fault the just laugh it off. If it's mine they send a bill. I went head and moved the fence and finish ed the job. I've thought about it all weekend. I did my due diligence. It was completely their fault. They admitted it. And I figure it cost me about a grand. I'm going to send them a bill. I think I maybe certified mail.directly to the manager.
Over the years I usually just let things go. But this has me pizzed
Any thoughts or advice?

I'm sure you did, but make sure you have pics or video of your original work before you moved the posts (and the fact they didn't have the water line marked). I would go straight to the supervisors office, if no success with that person, I would go to whomever the utility answers to (board, elected politician, etc). If the locate company is private, they deserve the bill. If they are contracted through the utility, the utility gets the bill. Don't know that you will get paid without paperwork being sent from an attorney office, but it's somewhere to start. If nothing else, a bill needs to be sent, just for you business' P&L statement, taxes and accounting.

I think that I would try to make them reimburse you. I'm not optimistic that they would but it's worth a try. Utility companies are not overly accommodating in most situations.

You are fully justified.

The second or maybe the 22nd letter might need to be on your lawyer's letterhead.

They'd do the same to you, I figure it's just common courtesy to send them a bill for your time. Just remember to remain polite, it's always easier to catch bees.......

Fence fix up your bill and then walk it to the Coop office and ask to visit with the manager. Tell him the things the employees said and did and let him know you tried to do everything by the book. Maybe you'll get some positive results.

callmefence":38utbzfe said:
I did my due diligence. It was completely their fault. They admitted it. And I figure it cost me about a grand. I'm going to send them a bill. I think maybe certified mail, direct to the manager.
Any thoughts or advice?
Document, document, document.
You can't just say it cost me about $1,000 you have to be able to prove your exact added expenses.
The burden of proof is on you.
Photos, time cards, anything documented that proves your losses.
You may end up having to go to small claims court to get satisfaction.