I'm going to be a millionaire.

Help Support CattleToday:

and, (as my daddy would say) it's the puredee stuff:
Pure bred Jersey Bull cow.

and, of course, it's black. :roll:

Before we started messing with cows my brother let a friend of his run some calves on our place. He had an idea he was going to train working dogs using those calves. I was out there one day before he brought anything in and he told me he was going to be running some heifer steers. Couple of weeks later he brought them in and sure enough they were heifers that didn't have balls.

Nesikep":2txk6d8k said:
Someone's going to have to explain to me bulldogs, bullfrogs, and cowpeas.

The designation "bull" was applied because of the dog's use in the sport of bull baiting. This entailed the setting of dogs (after placing wagers on each dog) onto a tethered bull. The dog that grabbed the bull by the nose and pinned it to the ground would be the victor. It was common for a bull to maim or kill several dogs at such an event, either by goring, tossing, or trampling. Over the centuries, dogs used for bull-baiting developed the stocky bodies and massive heads and jaws that typify the breed as well as a ferocious and savage temperament. Bull-baiting, along with bear-baiting, reached the peak of its popularity in England in the early 1800s until they were both made illegal by the Cruelty to Animals Act 1835

The bullfrog bellowing sounds like a bull.

Cow peas were a pea that was raised in the south strictly as an animal feed.A lot of the pea vines were baled. Also raised in crop rotation.

The only thing he forgot to say was black Angus!

Seriously though, every time I see one of these ads from the Midwest, I cringe. It is a wonder that anyone has survived past the first generation up here! :dunce:

Supa Dexta":28wsbibq said:
While searching for something totally different, this came up and I thought of this thread -

https://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.com/ ... of-cattle/

Technical mumbo jumbo, but it raises a point, you have a bull moose or a bull elephant, but not a bull cow. And the word cattle didn't start out being about cows at all.

One of those guys that didn't have too many friends growing up, other than maybe the English teacher.

Latest posts