I'm going back to shoeing my own

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Lost all my farrier tools back in 06, and hurt my back as well. Kinda quit shoeing after that, and just hired it done. I've used about every farrier in driving distance. Couple guys left, that are excellent, but they are in the $100 range. Long story short, I'm going back to doing it myself. Took the afternoon off yesterday, and went and bought one of everything, except an anvil. Spent $600 before I was done. Not looking forward to it, and plan on doing 2 feet per horse per day, till I'm done. Hope it's like riding a bike, and it falls back in place.

Good luck and take care of your back.

I need to learn to trim mine. We only have two but they don't get ridden enough to justify the shoes. A buddy does it for $50 a horse so it's not bad. Really wish my little girl would OK selling them. I don't mind the cost of them their just in the dang way.

Did you get a tripod to rest the hoof on while working on it? I have never used one back when I was doing my racehorses but have seen them used and they seem to save a lot of the back breaking stuff.

Ken

wbvs58":2u868cd6 said:
Did you get a tripod to rest the hoof on while working on it? I have never used one back when I was doing my racehorses but have seen them used and they seem to save a lot of the back breaking stuff.

Ken

Wish I could still post pictures. I got the hoof stand, appears to be modeled after a jack stand. Has a heavy nylon strap, that the horses hoof rest on. Supposed to be quit the back saver. It has an attachment to stand the sole on. I doubt I'll be switching back and forth though. I think I will weld a stand for that.

I'm glad its you and not me. Those days are long gone for me, and I"m glad. Get you a protractor? I liked those, takes the guesswork our of it for me, balance and uniformity that is. My eye never was that good. I could be several degrees off, one side to the other.

I have one of those hoof jacks and they are helpful. I also tried the lightweight grinders that some are using now because my hands are not as strong as I would like. That is trickier. But I also quit shoeing and switched to hoof boots when needed for riding in rocky terrain. They are great. Also letting my horses go barefoot has eliminated a lot of trimming.

hdrockn":3usuj25r said:
I have one of those hoof jacks and they are helpful. I also tried the lightweight grinders that some are using now because my hands are not as strong as I would like. That is trickier. But I also quit shoeing and switched to hoof boots when needed for riding in rocky terrain. They are great. Also letting my horses go barefoot has eliminated a lot of trimming.

If it wasn't for our rocky terrain, I'd go barefoot for sure. Most rodeo parking lots have their fair share of gravel as well.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

This is my favorite hoof stand. It has a post that comes up from the center of the cradle for doing front feet. I also have the same one you bought (Green base, I'm guessing?) and it is possible to get a nail hung in the nylon cradle. Swapping the front/rear bits is quick and easy. You will like it. Shoeing is NOT like riding a bike. LOL It's like laying around on the couch for 10 years and stepping in the octagon with Brian Stann. Shoot the horses.....I'll light the smoker.

Bigfoot":1zclmjdq said:
wbvs58":1zclmjdq said:

Ken

Wish I could still post pictures. I got the hoof stand, appears to be modeled after a jack stand. Has a heavy nylon strap, that the horses hoof rest on. Supposed to be quit the back saver. It has an attachment to stand the sole on. I doubt I'll be switching back and forth though. I think I will weld a stand for that.

This be the one?

Farm Fence Solutions":3rz8tp7f said:
Bigfoot":3rz8tp7f said:
wbvs58":3rz8tp7f said:

Ken

This be the one?

Exactly.

Farm Fence Solutions":1m1eobuh said:
I've been keeping a look out for an anvil. I guess the dollar a pound days are long gone.

An anvil is pretty handy to have for lots of jobs. Neighbor collected anvils. Not sure where his interest came from. He passed 5 years or so ago. Can't say I ever heard what became of his collection.

I don't think I could make it through all four legs without a back foot rest, sure takes a load off the back. I use to shoe for the public, I would trim and tack while my helper clinched and cleaned them up. We could do around 10 a day. I now have 3 bulging disc due to shoeing horses, after spending 3 weeks in bed I now pay a local $50 a head to do mine for me. I miss shoeing and I will tack one on from time to time, just don't have the back for it anymore.

Bigfoot":16ko9ee0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":16ko9ee0 said:
I've been keeping a look out for an anvil. I guess the dollar a pound days are long gone.

An anvil is pretty handy to have for lots of jobs. Neighbor collected anvils. Not sure where his interest came from. He passed 5 years or so ago. Can't say I ever heard what became of his collection.

Bright Raven has a neighbor with quite the anvil collection, and they aren't for sale. :bang: I thought I had a stall jack laying around that I was going to send you to get you by until you find one. I guess I gave it to the kid down the road when he started shoeing.....

Farm Fence Solutions":3f3qxu6b said:
Bigfoot":3f3qxu6b said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3f3qxu6b said:

Bright Raven has a neighbor with quite the anvil collection, and they aren't for sale. :bang: I thought I had a stall jack laying around that I was going to send you to get you by until you find one. I guess I gave it to the kid down the road when he started shoeing.....

It's the thought that counts.

Latest posts