I'm glad I'm not a grasshopper

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Cowbirds
IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

Have not seen the egrets this year. I think they show up a little later, like in July. I do love to see them, though. Very graceful birds.

Last year while I was baling hay I saw a spectacular act of nature. The hay geese ;-) :D were everywhere and I noticed a Cooper's Hawk flying around. I think this was the same one that dessimated my roosters. The cowbirds were pretty watchful of the hawk but one got behind a hay bale and was picking around. The hawk took advantage of its blindness and came in at what seemed to be 50 mph and dusted the cowbird at the exact moment it stepped out from behind the bale. Feathers went everywhere. How the hawk timed it so perfectly was beyond me. Had I not seen it myself I would have found it hard to believe but he got himself a good meal.

Lammie":1fqako0e said:
Have not seen the egrets this year. I think they show up a little later, like in July. I do love to see them, though. Very graceful birds.

Lammie...I'm well south of you and we've had them for weeks down here. Had one hitching a ride on a cow's back just yesterday. :lol:

TexasBred":elx992ky said:
Lammie":elx992ky said:

Lammie...I'm well south of you and we've had them for weeks down here. Had one hitching a ride on a cow's back just yesterday. :lol:
I was going to say, maybe the wind blew them farther north this year, but maybe the wind has them walking and they just haven't been able to walk this far yet :lol2:

TexasBred":1n8flxss said:
Lammie":1n8flxss said:

Well, I guess I need to look harder. I swear, though, I haven't seen any this year. I said that about quail, too, and since someone posted a thread about that, I've been hearing them everywhere.

Lammie":cniq8k20 said:
TexasBred":cniq8k20 said:
Lammie":cniq8k20 said:

Well, I guess I need to look harder. I swear, though, I haven't seen any this year. I said that about quail, too, and since someone posted a thread about that, I've been hearing them everywhere.

Really haven't seen any around that I can remember for several weeks. But as I have said in other posts, I have noticed what seems to be a substantial reduction in insects also. That includes grasshoppers (however, they were pretty thick in my millet this morning).

Haven't seen much for lightning bugs either.

alacattleman":2h5r90tx said:
what ive been missing these last few years is lightnin' bugs, where did they go ?

Believe it or not we've got lightening bugs as well. Went for ages without ever seeing one and now we have them but don't have any idea why.

TexasBred":knlc6yz7 said:
alacattleman":knlc6yz7 said:
what ive been missing these last few years is lightnin' bugs, where did they go ?

Believe it or not we've got lightening bugs as well. Went for ages without ever seeing one and now we have them but don't have any idea why.
well i cant remember a summer without them... until recently... one day im standing and thinking something is missing, and bam it hit me. no lightnin' bugs it aint like i cant live without em, just like too know what happened.

Latest posts