I'm getting too old for this kind of crap

Help Support CattleToday:

I just got a little Pulse rate/oximeter on Ebay for like $10, no fancy ekg but it does monitor pulse and oxygen, clips on your finger... glad you got it checked out and fixed before it got ya!

I don't do much for large tire repairs, but I was sick of fiddling with small tires and I got a good tire machine, does that thing ever save your back, and improves your chances of going to heaven.. I swear more at tires than cows
I have several of those Pulse rate/oximeters laying around as everybody should have one. About 5 years ago I got super hot working on a piece of equipment and just did not feel right. I checked and my Heart Rate was 140 bpm and symptomatic as it felt like my heart was about to come unglued. Well a long story short it turned out I had some Afib going on as it is pretty prevalent in my family. About three months latter after more test (all normal range), some terrible meds (Flecainide) I got an ablation and so far I have not detected anymore Afib.

My heart rate has always been on the slower side.

HR 55 and oxygen saturation 99%

ewgbL5b.jpg

Last edited:
so- I'm a newbie- but- yup, get it checked. I'm just about to turn 70- used to working in the heat, walking miles fencing- so at the end of May, I did that- got back up to the closest pasture and noticed my heart was ticking away kinda fast, a bit short of breath.. so I walked up to the house and checked it with my Kardia (gives you an ekg trace- got to watch it and the episode lasted 6 minutes). Decided I'd get it checked out the next day. all OK through the night- then I looked out the window the next morning and my bull was in the front yard. Went and put him where he belonged- and it went into that same rhythm. So I drove to the ER, got a stress test and a cath- next day they put in a stent. I'd had an 80% blockage of 'the widowmaker'. My cardiologist said- 'you know, you coulda croaked'. (SUCH a comforting bedside manner). I avoided the hear attack, but I'm REALLY glad I had the instrumentation to check out it right at home. I hope things go well for you. My word is- wring every last bit of information out of them about what's going on. Some doctors will give you the 'folksy' routine. They charge an arm and a leg for those tests. You pay it, and you have the right to all the information- and what to do about it.
Got my bull up a couple of years ago and started getting those chest pains.
Went to th we and had 99% blockage of the widow maker. Doc said I got there just in time. Said I wouldn't have made it much longer.

Impressive to say the least. I probably have the same job not far off. One of the rims on my 3600 the valve hole is rusted out and it is a ticking time bomb for the tube to go bad. It has spin out rims and they cost a war pension if you can still get them. I have a used spare rim with a rusted out hole I plan to cut a piece out and weld over the hole in mine and bondo around and then make another valve hole in the rim and it should be good as new. I will have fluid put back. Just had a new tube put in a 4630 with fluid and they charged $140.

Pulling that heavy tube out is not easy.

l0N436T.jpg

Bringing the 4630 home with a new tube.

htQk7ye.jpg
im shocked you didnt fill your own tire good looking set up and garden

im shocked you didnt fill your own tire good looking set up and garden
Thought about it as it was hot, 16-9 30 tire and it needed a new tube as the valve core end needle was broke off/rusted off in the valve. I started to try and drill it out and said what the heck and just took it to the tire shop and the guy fixed it in maybe 45 minutes. Maybe a little longer pumping the fluid back in. Labor came to around $50 plus a new Firestone tube cost as I figured it would cost more.

I have several of those Pulse rate/oximeters laying around as everybody should have one. About 5 years ago I got super hot working on a piece of equipment and just did not feel right. I checked and my Heart Rate was 140 bpm and symptomatic as it felt like my heart was about to come unglued. Well a long story short it turned out I had some Afib going on as it is pretty prevalent in my family. About three months latter after more test (all normal range), some terrible meds (Flecainide) I got an ablation and so far I have not detected anymore Afib.

My heart rate has always been on the slower side.

HR 55 and oxygen saturation 99%

ewgbL5b.jpg
When I'm really relaxed I've had my pulse drop REALLY low,.. when I got the oximeter I tested it, I think I was 97% ox and 85bpm

Just put it on now, 67bpm 98%
here's the one I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/144094351779

Was going to mount a 24" tractor tire with fluid tonight. Good think i had a brother with a service truck and a crane on it. Also had a 15 year old son so not hard at all on me

When I'm really relaxed I've had my pulse drop REALLY low,.. when I got the oximeter I tested it, I think I was 97% ox and 85bpm

Just put it on now, 67bpm 98%
here's the one I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/144094351779
The one you have is nice and should work good.

I have checked mine when I first wakeup and real relaxed it is in the mid 40s.
[h3][/h3].

Last edited:
I know what your talking about on the getting old part. I try to do everything I am capable of doing myself too. At the point if i keep going that way I am putting myself at risk of either a heart attack or stroke.

Just finished baleing the other day and had just pulled up to the gate. Had an episode where all I could do was open the cab door before i fell out of the tractor onto the ground. Laid there not able to move for almost an hour. My phone was on my other tractor 1/2 mile off. My truck was 20 foot away and I couldn't move. Wife showed up an hour later and help me to my truck. After another 40 minutes cooling off under the truck A.C. I managed to make it home.
Is your tractor have a cab?

Is your tractor have a cab?
Yes and an air conditioner too. Have something causeing severe mussel contractions in my right leg. It varries what part of my leg. Most of the time it's is my thigh or calf mussel. But it happens in my foot. When it happens in my foot its like when you make a fist. But the contractions are mega contractions unbearable. To the point of making me almost pass out.

The one that hit me on the tractor was on my right side of my back in the kidney area. More less did pass out on that one.

I had to look that 'handyman jack' thing up. We call it a hi-lift or farm jack here. It's the safety net for the blocking that's holding my tractor up right now, in case the blocking sinks into the ground..
Looking at your quotes;
'..."For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely...'

Both true, and great. Had you seen the one from Allis Chalmers? Back when I was just starting out farming (1983 or thereabouts), my now-ex-husband bought me my first tractor- an Allis Chalmers CA (?) that was about as old as I was. We went through trials and tribulations together, including the time when I sheared off the front wheel (tricycle gear) and he replaced it with a Ford front end- but mounted it upside down for better ground clearance, so it became (wait for it..) 'the backward steering tractor- which gave me severe brain damage, especially when I learned how to back it up with a trailer attached. (I'm still messed up..)
BUT- on the cover of the tractor manual were these words ...'Knowledge Means Power'.
I no longer have the tractor- someone stole it when I'd temporarily left the farm in WV, and I never got it back- tractor, rake, AND car- they were pretty bad that way.. but I still have the manual. And the memories. And I hope the dang tractor gave THEM brain damage too..

Sometimes an old man does things just to see if he still can and I've about decided that's a fool's errand... 13.6x28 Ford3600. Been a while since I fixed or replaced my own rear tractor tube. The dang tubes are nearly $80 now and $50 for labor to do it. next time I'll write the check.

View attachment 6475View attachment 6476
Fixed many of them. It's a chore. I leave run on the tractor though

Latest posts