I'm getting too old for this kind of crap

Help Support CattleToday:

Sometimes an old man does things just to see if he still can and I've about decided that's a fool's errand... 13.6x28 Ford3600. Been a while since I fixed or replaced my own rear tractor tube. The dang tubes are nearly $80 now and $50 for labor to do it. next time I'll write the check.

View attachment 6475View attachment 6476
Nice job gb. Now throw it in the trash pile and go buy you a set of tubeless tires....I'm sure you deserve em....I don't know for what... but surely something.

Impressive to say the least. I probably have the same job not far off. One of the rims on my 3600 the valve hole is rusted out and it is a ticking time bomb for the tube to go bad. It has spin out rims and they cost a war pension if you can still get them. I have a used spare rim with a rusted out hole I plan to cut a piece out and weld over the hole in mine and bondo around and then make another valve hole in the rim and it should be good as new. I will have fluid put back. Just had a new tube put in a 4630 with fluid and they charged $140.

Pulling that heavy tube out is not easy.

l0N436T.jpg

Bringing the 4630 home with a new tube.

htQk7ye.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive to say the least. I probably have the same job not far off. One of the rims on my 3600 the valve hole is rusted out and it is a ticking time bomb for the tube to go bad. It has spin out rims and they cost a war pension if you can still get them. I have a used spare rim with a rusted out hole I plan to cut a piece out and weld over the hole in mine and bondo around and then make another valve hole in the rim and it should be good as new. I will have fluid put back. Just had a new tube put in a 4630 with fluid and they charged $140.

l0N436T.jpg
I don't remember ever seeing a cab like that. Does it have heat and air?

I don't remember ever seeing a cab like that. Does it have heat and air?
The cab was made by a company called Cozy. When hooked up and working it had a good heater, but not too Cozy without AC. It came off a State Highway tractor. Pretty much just use it as a canopy, but on cold early spring days I put the doors on and the back glass on and it helps. I think originally you could get an AC kit optional if wanted. It probably would help in a roll over also as it is pretty heavy built.

Last edited:

l0N436T.jpg

htQk7ye.jpg

l0N436T.jpg

htQk7ye.jpg
Good looking garden !

Sometimes an old man does things just to see if he still can and I've about decided that's a fool's errand... 13.6x28 Ford3600. Been a while since I fixed or replaced my own rear tractor tube. The dang tubes are nearly $80 now and $50 for labor to do it. next time I'll write the check.

View attachment 6475View attachment 6476
I know what your talking about on the getting old part. I try to do everything I am capable of doing myself too. At the point if i keep going that way I am putting myself at risk of either a heart attack or stroke.

Just finished baleing the other day and had just pulled up to the gate. Had an episode where all I could do was open the cab door before i fell out of the tractor onto the ground. Laid there not able to move for almost an hour. My phone was on my other tractor 1/2 mile off. My truck was 20 foot away and I couldn't move. Wife showed up an hour later and help me to my truck. After another 40 minutes cooling off under the truck A.C. I managed to make it home.

I know what your talking about on the getting old part. I try to do everything I am capable of doing myself too. At the point if i keep going that way I am putting myself at risk of either a heart attack or stroke.

Just finished baleing the other day and had just pulled up to the gate. Had an episode where all I could do was open the cab door before i fell out of the tractor onto the ground. Laid there not able to move for almost an hour. My phone was on my other tractor 1/2 mile off. My truck was 20 foot away and I couldn't move. Wife showed up an hour later and help me to my truck. After another 40 minutes cooling off under the truck A.C. I managed to make it home.
If not already you need that checked out as as not being able to move for almost an hour needs checked.

If not already you need that checked out as as not being able to move for almost an hour needs checked.
I am in the process of tring to find out what's going on now. Saw a nurse practitioner the next day. They done some test and set me up an appointment to see a doctor on the 17th.

Nice job gb. Now throw it in the trash pile and go buy you a set of tubeless tires....I'm sure you deserve em....I don't know for what... but surely something.
I doubt those old rims would hold a tubeless tire. Pretty beat up and have a lot of rust pits.

Leave wheel bolted to tractor .

Ground is so soft here still, from all the rain we've had, I hated to try to do anything more with it jacked up and on blocks than necessary, and... I've never tried to do one with the rim still on the tractor. On the ground is how I learned and I never tried it otherwise but is it also easier to get the tube in and the tire back on with the rim on the tractor?
My concern is pinching the tube when
i put it back together...

Way easier with the rim on the tractor. Adjust your jack height so the rim "floats" in the tire easily. Makes it easy to move the tire around to get the tube where you want it. You won't be fighting gravity trying to pull the rim and tire together while your fishing the tube in.

Way easier with the tire and wheel on tractor.when dismounting spin the tire so the valve stem is at the top . Remove plastic nut that holds valve stem . Push valve stem into tire .always dismount tire at valve stem first .when mounting . Do the opposite . Spin valve stem hole to bottom . Moung at valve stem last. You can also use a valve stem pull chain. Or thread on valve stem puller to keep valve stem inside tire until tire to reduce chance of pinching tube. A pair of vice grip pliers are very helpfull as a third hand when mounting the tire. Handy man jack makes a awesome bead breaker for the inside bead.

so- I'm a newbie- but- yup, get it checked. I'm just about to turn 70- used to working in the heat, walking miles fencing- so at the end of May, I did that- got back up to the closest pasture and noticed my heart was ticking away kinda fast, a bit short of breath.. so I walked up to the house and checked it with my Kardia (gives you an ekg trace- got to watch it and the episode lasted 6 minutes). Decided I'd get it checked out the next day. all OK through the night- then I looked out the window the next morning and my bull was in the front yard. Went and put him where he belonged- and it went into that same rhythm. So I drove to the ER, got a stress test and a cath- next day they put in a stent. I'd had an 80% blockage of 'the widowmaker'. My cardiologist said- 'you know, you coulda croaked'. (SUCH a comforting bedside manner). I avoided the hear attack, but I'm REALLY glad I had the instrumentation to check out it right at home. I hope things go well for you. My word is- wring every last bit of information out of them about what's going on. Some doctors will give you the 'folksy' routine. They charge an arm and a leg for those tests. You pay it, and you have the right to all the information- and what to do about it.

so- I'm a newbie- but- yup, get it checked. I'm just about to turn 70- used to working in the heat, walking miles fencing- so at the end of May, I did that- got back up to the closest pasture and noticed my heart was ticking away kinda fast, a bit short of breath.. so I walked up to the house and checked it with my Kardia (gives you an ekg trace- got to watch it and the episode lasted 6 minutes). Decided I'd get it checked out the next day. all OK through the night- then I looked out the window the next morning and my bull was in the front yard. Went and put him where he belonged- and it went into that same rhythm. So I drove to the ER, got a stress test and a cath- next day they put in a stent. I'd had an 80% blockage of 'the widowmaker'. My cardiologist said- 'you know, you coulda croaked'. (SUCH a comforting bedside manner). I avoided the hear attack, but I'm REALLY glad I had the instrumentation to check out it right at home. I hope things go well for you. My word is- wring every last bit of information out of them about what's going on. Some doctors will give you the 'folksy' routine. They charge an arm and a leg for those tests. You pay it, and you have the right to all the information- and what to do about it.
Those Kardias are nice as I would like to have one of those.

I just got a little Pulse rate/oximeter on Ebay for like $10, no fancy ekg but it does monitor pulse and oxygen, clips on your finger... glad you got it checked out and fixed before it got ya!

I don't do much for large tire repairs, but I was sick of fiddling with small tires and I got a good tire machine, does that thing ever save your back, and improves your chances of going to heaven.. I swear more at tires than cows

Way easier with the tire and wheel on tractor.when dismounting spin the tire so the valve stem is at the top . Remove plastic nut that holds valve stem . Push valve stem into tire .always dismount tire at valve stem first .when mounting . Do the opposite . Spin valve stem hole to bottom . Moung at valve stem last. You can also use a valve stem pull chain. Or thread on valve stem puller to keep valve stem inside tire until tire to reduce chance of pinching tube. A pair of vice grip pliers are very helpfull as a third hand when mounting the tire. Handy man jack makes a awesome bead breaker for the inside bead.
I had to look that 'handyman jack' thing up. We call it a hi-lift or farm jack here. It's the safety net for the blocking that's holding my tractor up right now, in case the blocking sinks into the ground..

I would add that 2 pair of vice grips are really handy to keep the tire from coming off the rim when you are prying it over. I have worked on my own for over 50 years. I worked in an independent tractor shop with a rental fleet. Flats were my job. Put myself through college working on tractors.

Latest posts