I'm getting tired of this cowboy shish

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
I like to think of myself as a Cattlemen; I plan ahead, strategize, don't go into a situation half cocked.
Well that's pretty much gone out the window this summer. For reasons out of my control I've had to be gone from the farm a lot more than usual.
My fall heifers are still out on grass. Started calving the 30th of August. Dad called me last night to let me know a hfr had calves and was still pushing, and that I needed to get there ASAP. So I hauled tail to the pasture. There was the hfr laying next to a calf that she had stole from another hfr. She had a foot sticking out. No catch pen in this pasture. So I had to cowboy up, roped the hfr, got her drawn up to the bale feeder, got a halter on her, and the lariat off. Jacked a big live heifer calf out. Took the halter off and the hfr never even looked at her calf, just hi tailed it to the back of the pasture. Damn! Went and got the tractor and some silage. Called the cows and she came up with them. Reroped her, went and got the trailer, and hauled the new pair home to the barn.
By tonight I've had her in the chute twice. The calf finally figured out tonight that milk tastes good. She was happily still nursing when I got them back to their pen.
I'm glad I have the skills to solve these types of situations, but it's a lot more fun when I don't have to intervene like that.

When you have to pull one in an open field rope one hind foot. Drive your pickup on to the rope. With the tail of the rope take a wrap or two on the trailer hitch and one half hitch. Pull the calf. It does work easier with two people but one guy can get it done when needed.

When you have to pull one in an open field rope one hind foot. Drive your pickup on to the rope. With the tail of the rope take a wrap or two on the trailer hitch and one half hitch. Pull the calf. It does work easier with two people but one guy can get it done when needed.
I have heard that from the vet I worked for. He said he always made the farmer/rancher use their pickup. That way the cow didn't put dents in his vet truck.

Good save! Think she would have had it on her own if she hadn't ganked the other calf; just quit trying? Had that happen years ago, but fortunately, she was in the barn and I had help tying her to a post & pulling the calf (that wasn't really that big).

Good save! Think she would have had it on her own if she hadn't ganked the other calf; just quit trying? Had that happen years ago, but fortunately, she was in the barn and I had help tying her to a post & pulling the calf (that wasn't really that big).
I'm not sure she would have had it. I pelvic measure all my heifers, but this PB calving ease black Angus bull is starting to not be so calving ease. The PB Angus hfrs do okay, but the cross bred hfrs all seem to be struggling. The hybred vigor just adds to much for his calving ease to over come. The calves just get a little to square through the shoulders.
This bull is going to take ride to McDonald's.

sometimes I wonder if farming is worth all the headaches. when you dedicate yourself to your herd like your post suggest, it is rewarding to have a good outcome. unfortunately it is not always a happy ending when problems pop up at the most challenging times. congratulations on a job well done.

As the saying goes. "Everyone wants to be a cowboy until it is time to do cowboy sh!t" Quote from Wilfred Brimley
Lol! I'm past all that. Twenty years ago it was fun to jump into a hornets nest guns blazing and see if I could get out without being stung.
The first time I saw mrkt cows hit $0.90 I culled every bad actor we owned. It was about 10% of the cows. The older I get the more I appreciate quiet cattle. My dad is retired and loves to go check cows for me. I have kids now that want to help work cattle. I am way past buying someone else's problems at the sale barn because they were cheap. We run a few one&done cows, but not the ones that try and climb through the sale ring.

Lol! I'm past all that. Twenty years ago it was fun to jump into a hornets nest guns blazing and see if I could get out without being stung.
The first time I saw mrkt cows hit $0.90 I culled every bad actor we owned. It was about 10% of the cows. The older I get the more I appreciate quiet cattle. My dad is retired and loves to go check cows for me. I have kids now that want to help work cattle. I am way past buying someone else's problems at the sale barn because they were cheap. We run a few one&done cows, but not the ones that try and climb through the sale ring.
Anything tht acts high headed in the sale ring goes to another buyer. I am way too old for that stuff any more. And a snotty cow eats just as much as a good one.

Same here..... we get rid of the high headed "knothead" heifers regardless of how nice they are... and the one and dones I pick up also have to just walk around calmly and not want to get me once they get home. Mostly I like the ones that say, oh thank you for giving me another year!!!!

Latest posts