I'm confused

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
OK, so its illegal to gamble in most states, you can't bet on football games or play poker so what is it with this fantasy football? Why is this any different? Yeah, I know the Potus plays it so this makes it alright but is this not still gambling? Just wondering because the television seems to be filled with advertisements now about fantasy football and telling how much money you can win. I don't get it.

Probably because it is on the internet and the sites originate out of Nevada. You can also play internet poker. And win or lose real money.
This is the wrong group of people to pose a gambling question to ........ we all own cattle.

M-5":2vqidj03 said:
that is correct Dave.( WE ) only bet on sure things like weather, futures and feed prices.

Hilarious!!! Because it's true! :roll:

M-5":1w2mhkvt said:
that is correct Dave.( WE ) only bet on sure things like weather, futures and feed prices.

Shucks, I got a fantasy herd. 7,000 brangus all calm as cucumbers standing waist deep in weed free coastal. 3 inch pipe corrals surrounding the whole place. Cute little cowgirls riding around on 4wheelers bringing me ice tea.

Dave":3aouexmp said:
Probably because it is on the internet and the sites originate out of Nevada. You can also play internet poker. And win or lose real money.
This is the wrong group of people to pose a gambling question to ........ we all own cattle.

You CAN but its not legal. The transfer of illegal money through telecommunications is a federal crime and they can bust your tail good.

Did some digging and found the law agrees with me that it should be illegal but the courts ruled against them and said fantasy football is not a game of chance so it is not gambling.

has an outcome that reflects the relative knowledge of the participants, or their skill at physical reaction or physical manipulation (but not chance), and, in the case of a fantasy or simulation sports game, has an outcome that is determined predominantly by accumulated statistical results of sporting events…

So it is legal for now. I'm willing to bet this will change shortly or they will begin taxing it in some way to make it ok.

Vending machines should be illegal as well. You put your money in it and you take a chance that anything comes out. :) :)

The government is the biggest lottery there is.. except you don't have much choice but to give them money... Like all gambling, you don't get much back

backhoeboogie":4lrf2a5v said:
M-5":4lrf2a5v said:

Shucks, I got a fantasy herd. 7,000 brangus all calm as cucumbers standing waist deep in weed free coastal. 3 inch pipe corrals surrounding the whole place. Cute little cowgirls riding around on 4wheelers bringing me ice tea.

BHB, where do i sign up for that fantasy league?!?!

SJB":3cg72gii said:
You can play all the online poker for real money you want, bet on sports, etc, as long as the site is owned offshore.
I think you're wrong about that. If there is such an online site, it's only because it hasn't been busted by the feds yet.

Saw a blurb on the news this morning. You can purchase lottery tickets online by a phone app. If you win over $600 the ticket is delivered personally to the buyer. Smaller amounts, I guess are mailed out or deposited into a specified account.

The mens Basketball (NCAA) tournament stimulates thousands (hundreds of thousands) workplace pools. Someone introduced legislation so those folks wouldn't get busted, and that legislation also protects "fantasy football". That's what I read, and no, Ican't link to sources. Trust me, I'm on the internet,

Forbes has a good write up about the fantasy thing. They said the court said its not gambling. Of course Bill Clinton said it wasn't sex so what do I know.

Jogeephus":1rcjyir7 said:
Forbes has a good write up about the fantasy thing. They said the court said its not gambling. Of course Bill Clinton said it wasn't sex so what do I know.

Bill Clinton? Isn't that Hillary's husband?

backhoeboogie":3knh2k04 said:
Jogeephus":3knh2k04 said:

Monica's boyfriend is all I know.

Jogeephus":2uumbwka said:
backhoeboogie":2uumbwka said:
Jogeephus":2uumbwka said:

Monica's boyfriend is all I know.

Do you remember this joke?
Monica walks into her dry cleaning store and tells the guy, "I've got another dress for you to clean." Slightly hard of hearing, the clerk replies, "Come again?" "No," says Monica. "Mustard."

red angus 2010":2gsg0h2c said:
Do you remember this joke?
Monica walks into her dry cleaning store and tells the guy, "I've got another dress for you to clean." Slightly hard of hearing, the clerk replies, "Come again?" "No," says Monica. "Mustard."

:lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

There was a report on the news this morning that said fantasy football is illegal in Washington and it was one of seven states where it is illegal. They were interviewing a state senator who was talking about how it was against the law.

Dave":3gzk5qlb said:
There was a report on the news this morning that said fantasy football is illegal in Washington and it was one of seven states where it is illegal. They were interviewing a state senator who was talking about how it was against the law.

I don't gamble but I don't care one way or the other. I've always figured it was a free country and as long as you don't bother me with your vices who am I to judge what you do with your money as long as you don't expect me to bail you out later if you make bad choices with your life.

What strikes me is how laws can be on the books yet they are only selectively enforced. I just find this odd.

Latest posts