I'm being a jerk

Help Support CattleToday:

There's a difference between negotiating and dickering around kicking tires.

Take a group of 6 calves for $4000... price is firm.. Negotiating would be "If I bought those 6, and an additional 6 (similar), would you do $7500 for all?".. Dickering is insisting on getting the 6 for $3500.

When I sell bred heifers I generally ask $100 more than the high end at the Sale Barn. "Ask" is the operative word. But my heifers are pelvic measured, BANGS, all shots, already have magnets, hand-feeders, easy to work, bred to calving ease bull. Plus their dam, siblings, generally their sire & the bull that bred them are all on site.

When we sell calves private treaty they're loaded onto the trailer & weighed. We take the average weight, compare to the Sale Barn average lb/price, add $2 because they're fully vaccinated/weaned and call it good. We're doing the same with a bull calf we kept intact for one of our neighbors. I doubt we really make any or much more than when we do take them to the Sale Barn but it's something we do for some of our neighbors & everybody seems satisfied.

I hate dickering. Ask what you want for it. Don't overprice it b/c I'll pass you over. If you treat me right, I'll come back again....and again......and again.

The only time I've ever won one is when I bought my truck. I told them they were way off and too high. I even got up to leave. When were doing the financial stuff the woman said that they were losing money on the deal. Maybe they always say that, but I brought them down almost $200/month on the payment, so I felt pretty good about myself.

Bestoutwest":5xaaqatu said:
I hate dickering. Ask what you want for it. Don't overprice it b/c I'll pass you over. If you treat me right, I'll come back again....and again......and again.

The only time I've ever won one is when I bought my truck. I told them they were way off and too high. I even got up to leave. When were doing the financial stuff the woman said that they were losing money on the deal. Maybe they always say that, but I brought them down almost $200/month on the payment, so I felt pretty good about myself.

sounds like they just added a yr or two on your note to make you think you won.

25k car loan at 3.1% is 450 a month for 60 months
25k car loan at 3.1% is 330 a month for 84 months

A friend of mine dad was in to raising homing pigeons. I was at his house when a feller came by and wanted to buy a couple. Mr. Mechler priced the pigeons and the feller got real pizzed at which point Mr. Mechler pulled the heads off the two pigeons and threw them into the garbage can.

lavacarancher":24xiispc said:
A friend of mine dad was in to raising homing pigeons. I was at his house when a feller came by and wanted to buy a couple. Mr. Mechler priced the pigeons and the feller got real pizzed at which point Mr. Mechler pulled the heads off the two pigeons and threw them into the garbage can.

I guess he showed that guy.....I think....

TennesseeTuxedo":2opt6h8a said:
lavacarancher":2opt6h8a said:

In my book he did. I don't give a f--- what you think.

lavacarancher":1dah2bx4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1dah2bx4 said:
lavacarancher":1dah2bx4 said:

Why so testy lavaca? It was a good story and I think I took the point of it.

lavacarancher":n7trszn9 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":n7trszn9 said:
lavacarancher":n7trszn9 said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

lavacarancher":u01m81re said:

I've been there with hay sales. Know what I have in fertilizer costs. Bailing. Fuel. Hay tests good. They want me to sell it to them at a loss. My money is already spent. I'd burn it before I take a loss. Feed it next year. Let 'em pay more for less quality.

CB has an awesome theory on hay. I took heed.

Bestoutwest":6lffkhba said:

That don't happen without an adjustment somewhere else to make it up plus some. But there is an old saying "I'm not screwed unless I think I'm screwed". Reckon most are happy.

Commercialfarmer":1y8la9yl said:
backhoeboogie":1y8la9yl said:

I don't think I've heard this theory, would like to hear it.

Caustic Burno, help me out here. I don't want to quote you second hand. "Two years worth of hay?"

M-5":jkrq7c41 said:
sounds like they just added a yr or two on your note to make you think you won.

25k car loan at 3.1% is 450 a month for 60 months
25k car loan at 3.1% is 330 a month for 84 months

The length of the loan remained the same. They added some rebates and doubled the down payment and their offer for the trade-in.

backhoeboogie":28eskazh said:
Commercialfarmer":28eskazh said:
backhoeboogie":28eskazh said:

I don't think I've heard this theory, would like to hear it.

Caustic Burno, help me out here. I don't want to quote you second hand. "Two years worth of hay?"
No such thing as too much hay is my theory and always maintain at least two years worth your one drought away from it being priceless

I have priced anything I sell a little higher due to almost everyone wanting to haggle. Some people want to feel like they got a deal. Anything on craigslist usually the first question is whats your bottom line price. I am the opposite. I wont call if its not priced right because I dont like to haggle. Not raised that way. I view it as kinda sheisty. I am a pretty straight up kinda guy.

Latest posts