I'm all in now

Help Support CattleToday:

allinnow

Reaction score
I will be going to a cattle auction tomorrow to buy feeders. I bought 200 acres two years ago, installed a new mesh wire fence around the perimeter, purchases some equipment, have a list of medications, feed, and minerals I plan to use and now it's time to get this dream of mine going. I would appreciate any input and suggestions anyone might have to help me so i don't go broke to soon.

I've studied the cattle business for five years and have worked part time with some stocker operators along with a few different medical professionals. I've run the costs and hopefull returns and found this business to not be very profitable but someone can earn a living with around 600 acres of grassland. Although I do not have 600 acres yet I plan on securing more land by way of leases or if i have to, purchases. The reason I'm up so late tonight is because i'm worried about losing my investment.

Why have I done this, because I love it! So I will look forward to any helpful comments.

I do like your name.

Sale barn on Wednesday? You have me wondering where you are going. I know of a few on Tuesday and I have hit the Meridian sale on Tuesday. The huge sale in Dublin is on Friday(that's where I like to buy). Who has a sale on Wednesday? I'm stumped! There are probably atleast 400 sales in Texas each week but I don't know of one on Wednesday.

Get there early and look the stock over good. If prices are to high, drag the trailer home empty. There is no shame in dragging home an empty trailer, which is often a sign of wisdom.

Get your prices set in your mind before the bidding starts. Be sure and be firm with your bids. Don't get caught up in the "game". Don't forget how hot it gets here in the summer. Cows with a bit of ear will probably cost you a bit more.

Good luck. Welcome to the boards.

ditto what backhhoe said... I totally agree. not a disgrace to go home empty handed. Take your time, and invest wisely in what you want. I think most people get into this because they actually love the lifestyle, not to make profits. It would be nice to make huge profits, but I think the only way to do that is keeping your costs low, and owning a large tract of land with about 200-400 or so head. I am strictly speaking for a cow/calf operation. Some are in the registered breeding... not for me.. but, its always an option.

backhoeboogie":2niefbbb said:
I do like your name.

Sale barn on Wednesday? You have me wondering where you are going. I know of a few on Tuesday and I have hit the Meridian sale on Tuesday. The huge sale in Dublin is on Friday(that's where I like to buy). Who has a sale on Wednesday? I'm stumped! There are probably atleast 400 sales in Texas each week but I don't know of one on Wednesday.

There's one here in Stephenville today. The sale barn on Hwy. 281 has an auction every Monday and Wednesday. Every now and then someone hauls a bunch of beef cattle to the Wednesday sale, and there's usually a smattering of beef cattle at the Wednesday sale..

Alice

Just remember - the highest price paid is where 2 fools met. :lol: :shock:

Unless it is a good deal. ;-)

Keep us posted on how things are going. It sounds like you've done a lot of prep work and now you are ready for the road.

Sale barn on Wednesday? You have me wondering where you are going. I know of a few on Tuesday and I have hit the Meridian sale on Tuesday. The huge sale in Dublin is on Friday(that's where I like to buy). Who has a sale on Wednesday? I'm stumped! There are probably atleast 400 sales in Texas each week but I don't know of one on Wednesday

Wednesday sales in Centex are, Hills Prairie (Bastrop), Seguin, Caldwell, and I think Taylor :)

allinnow":1z3zrxc7 said:
I will be going to a cattle auction tomorrow to buy feeders. I bought 200 acres two years ago, installed a new mesh wire fence around the perimeter, purchases some equipment, have a list of medications, feed, and minerals I plan to use and now it's time to get this dream of mine going. I would appreciate any input and suggestions anyone might have to help me so i don't go broke to soon.

I've studied the cattle business for five years and have worked part time with some stocker operators along with a few different medical professionals. I've run the costs and hopefull returns and found this business to not be very profitable but someone can earn a living with around 600 acres of grassland. Although I do not have 600 acres yet I plan on securing more land by way of leases or if i have to, purchases. The reason I'm up so late tonight is because i'm worried about losing my investment.

Why have I done this, because I love it! So I will look forward to any helpful comments.

Have you looked into buying from a specific source that you know vaccinates and weans the calves? They might cost a bit more, but your death rate should be less.

Good luck with your new endeavor. IMO, stockers are a risky business, but you've had some experience.

Mesh makes a nice looking fence. Did you remember to put barbed wire on top? If not it will turn out to be an ugly mesh-I mean mess.

I bought three calves today and filled the water trough for the first time. I will have to set up the portable pens tomorrow morning before going to a sale and try and give some antibiotics, I am a little worried about buying a few days after a day of snow. Its 9:15 and I just walked in.

The new mesh fence has a line of barbwire on the top and two stands in places where I think there will be high traffic.

Will cattle panels work as a separate holding pen for sick calves?

allinnow":20zqpl2w said:
Will cattle panels work as a separate holding pen for sick calves?

They will work like a charm. I like them cause they are portable. I can put'em right where i need them. Wedging a calf between a cattle panel and he side of a barn etc, also makes for a good squezee to give shots.

did you get any sleep last night - new scared calves at the house is sometimes pretty noisy.

but congrats and welcome to the cattle business
nothing more fun than watching baby calves run and play
only comes in second to watching a fight between two cows trying to be top dog!

I got a price on feed being delivered, corn and hay mixed, and the price blew me away. Does anyone know of a good roller mill machine and where i can find one cheap.

if the y are on 200 acers you shouldnt need any extra fed except for minerals and maybe some hay

Love it when a dream becomes reality....
Up here the three-fers will be comming through the ring in a month or so...good way to jump start a operation but it sounds like you already have a handle on that...goos luck with your feed.
We had ours all figured out but put a few cows and a bull on the payroll and are running short and prices are unbelivable.
Definately plan to over stock this summer...with the weather like it is we're wondering if the second cutting will be worth anything. DMc

Last year I leased my place to a corn farmer and he did not shred the stakes when he left they were anywhere from 1 to 3 feet high. Being new to the business and not willing to spend the money for a shredder I was not able to plant oats last year so right now I have about 180 acres of dried out corn stalks, now you know the reason I want to grain feed this summer. I've since picked up an old 100 hp tractor and 14ft disc and was able to plant 65 acres of Sudan but since I know absolutely nothing about Sudan I'm praying I get something out of the ground soon. I do have plenty of acreage in corn stalks coming up from last years seed left behind on the lower part of my property and I'm wondering if I can let the calves start eating the stalks.

allinnow, if your tractor has a bucket on it you can mix yourself some feed. Do you have a cotton gin near by? I go and get cotton seed scraps from the one close to me. Then i buy soyhuels, corn, and oats. I built an 8ft tall wall out of railroad ties. I use the bucket on the tractor to mix the feed up. Milo is a good add on or replacement to corn.

Latest posts