I'm a beginner...

Help Support CattleToday:

I would no till in whatever I wanted planted. That is if the existing stuff is thin enough that you could get the new stuff to take.

The Bermuda grass is so thick in the summer, late fall that it will probably drown out what I try to drill. The elbon I drilled year before last did good in thin areas, and poor in areas where the Bermuda was at. The Bermuda turns brown and lays over first frost usually in Nov. and the cows wont hardly eat it and now it is delaying my grass to come on. The areas I have fescue would be better suited to drill, but they stay pretty wet and I stock pile the fescue and graze it heavily once the Bermuda dies off and would be worried what I planted in the fescue would not have a chance.
If I don't use my arena for a while, a pretty good stand of clover and Bermuda come back, but so does all the ''goat'' weed and thistle. My pasture is probably, half fescue, half summer grass. What do you think?

dun":j2l54dgn said:
Any time you disturb the surface you will expose more weed seeds. But other seeds too if they are hardy enough to sit for years without germinating. With any luck the grasses will be thick enough that the weeds won;t see daylight. But if that's the case neither will the seeds you broadcast.

I agree with that Dun but also more clover and rye seed get exposed to ground contact
and germinate in the fall.
Had to spray more the first couple of years.
This is a balancing act learning what the balance is.
I couldn't give you the first bit of advice on fescue as the only time I have ever
seen was in a picture.
Gus my best advice is do a test plot or two to find out what works best and build your
program around that.
Every place has some unique challenges that only you can fight win or loose.

Thanks yall, I have my fence for rotational grazing set on the line between the fescue and the Bermuda. It is very defined line, it seems either fescue or Bermuda is dominant and they don't grow well together. My goal is to shorten hay feeding and have more cool season grasses and legumes in the spring to help give the fescue a rest, plus less dependent on hard chemicals. But have it grazed off in time for the Bermuda to come on. From what I understand Bermuda loves the disk and it will come back thicker. So the options would be drill in fescue areas and disk in Bermuda areas?

Caustic Burno":2qom8sh5 said:
Per 100 gals 1 quart 2-4-D 1 quart Remedy and 1 quart ag surfactant.
A really good soap is as important as the chemical.

Are you saying a good liquid dish detergent will work pretty good as a surfactant?

Joetee":2ubuigob said:
Caustic Burno":2ubuigob said:
Per 100 gals 1 quart 2-4-D 1 quart Remedy and 1 quart ag surfactant.
A really good soap is as important as the chemical.

Are you saying a good liquid dish detergent will work pretty good as a surfactant?

No I am not as if you use any soap off label you have violated the law.
I said Ag surfactant.

Latest posts