i'll give you three guess's

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman

Reaction score
and the first two don't count.... plannin' too bale hay today.. got up around 1:30 for a drink o water,, WHAT WAS IT I HEARD :?:

alacattleman":eg3d0y9w said:
and the first two don't count.... plannin' too bale hay today.. got up around 1:30 for a drink o water,, WHAT WAS IT I HEARD :?:

hahahaha.....water dripping??Surely not. ;-)

TexasBred":305xw728 said:
alacattleman":305xw728 said:

does anybody have a secret too hayin' sucessfully... im talking start too finish here, from the time you stick the cutter in till the last bale is in the barn with out incident.... anybody :devil2:

c farmer":2ayc44qv said:
baleage, only need 2 nice days

I routinely cut, rake, bale and wrap on the same day, have even done it in the rain in the past when push comes to shove.

Haven't had cut hay rained on in 3 years. Don't know, but I'd like to figure out how to turn the rain on as much as you would like to find a way to turn it off. :p

alacattleman":2irjvitw said:
TexasBred":2irjvitw said:
alacattleman":2irjvitw said:

does anybody have a secret too hayin' sucessfully... im talking start too finish here, from the time you stick the cutter in till the last bale is in the barn with out incident.... anybody :devil2:

Praying to the Lord Almighty who rules heaven and earth is one way. I usually throw in a prayer to the god of machinery (I think his name is Murphy) and Buddha, Krishna, and the Indian spririts.
After that, I cuss enough to embarrass a sailor. All of this together works maybe half the time. :cry2:

hahahaha.....water dripping??Surely not. ;-)[/quote] does anybody have a secret too hayin' sucessfully... im talking start too finish here, from the time you stick the cutter in till the last bale is in the barn with out incident.... anybody :devil2:[/quote]

Praying to the Lord Almighty who rules heaven and earth is one way. I usually throw in a prayer to the god of machinery (I think his name is Murphy) and Buddha, Krishna, and the Indian spririts.
After that, I cuss enough to embarrass a sailor. All of this together works maybe half the time. :cry2:[/quote] i do that,and he's blessed me more than i deserve,,,,, but we cant seem too get together at haying time

Hubby pulled the disc bine out to the field dozens of times this summer just hoping it would induce some rain. NOTHING..

The day after he really did start to cut ,it finally rained after we hade zero precip since the beginning of May. Where we got almost 600 bales last year we got 68 this year.. :???:

hillsdown":2yiqvnek said:
Hubby pulled the disc bine out to the field dozens of times this summer just hoping it would induce some rain. NOTHING..

The day after he really did start to cut ,it finally rained after we hade zero precip since the beginning of May. Where we got almost 600 bales last year we got 68 this year.. :???:

Yikes! That is one serious drought.

john250":2v45a0mm said:
hillsdown":2v45a0mm said:

Gets real hairy doing it for 2 in a row. :nod:

1982vett":tilcimcn said:
john250":tilcimcn said:
hillsdown":tilcimcn said:

Gets real hairy doing it for 2 in a row. :nod:

I've never had 2 in a row. Hope I never do.

Vette, I can't do it another year. I will throw in the towel if next year is as sh#ytty..

God gives you only as much as you can handle and this year I have handled enough I really do not need a stronger character I am good with where I am at.. ;-)

We weren't even declared a disaster area they gave it too us and when we got 1 inch of rain in the end of July/August, pulled it off. Too late for rain to do any good by then, we have optimal growing seasons of 3 months at best..

Why you ask do we live here ???????

NO SNAKES !!!!!!!! :lol2:

Yep Hillsdown, it will be hard to go another year. It is mentaly and physically a drain on ones spirit and the land can do only so much. A lot of the older (trash) trees are giving up. Might be undesirable trees but they do give off shade. I guess if you count 2006, we are 3 out of 4 years in drought. Recovered nicely in the spring of 2007 but some of the pastures are worse off than they were then. We will just have to wait and see if the moisture returns in November as predicted. August rainfall came in at 7/10ths so November seems a long ways away.

Life goes on...

hillsdown":1mk8wrxp said:
Vette, I can't do it another year. I will throw in the towel if next year is as sh#ytty..

God gives you only as much as you can handle and this year I have handled enough I really do not need a stronger character I am good with where I am at.. ;-)

We weren't even declared a disaster area they gave it too us and when we got 1 inch of rain in the end of July/August, pulled it off. Too late for rain to do any good by then, we have optimal growing seasons of 3 months at best..

Why you ask do we live here ???????

NO SNAKES !!!!!!!! :lol2:

There's a lot to be said for no snakes. :nod:

The last year we had the ranch on the New Mexico/Colo border we filled a quart jar with rattlers in 3 months. It was nuthin to kill 3 in a day. I HATE THEM.

3waycross":265xubqi said:
There's a lot to be said for no snakes.

The last year we had the ranch on the New Mexico/Colo border we filled a quart jar with rattlers in 3 months. It was nuthin to kill 3 in a day. I HATE THEM.

I'll keep the snakes if ya'll will keep your drought. (heck, I'll even throw in some yellow jackets to boot) I can deal with snakes I just have a hard time with a drought. You can always wrap your hay, or wear snake protection boots, or paint them blue but a dang drought will leave you helpless and your spirit. Drought sucks.

Latest posts