Ih574 versus Allis 6060

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucasbranham

Reaction score
I currently have a gas ih574 with a westendorf loader. Ive owned it almost 3 years and it worked great until this year when I did some discing, mowing with disc mower, and baling with a 4x5 baler. When mowing and baling the tractor gets hot and just doesn't have the power to do the job.

I borrowed a friends 6060 to finish the job I had started with the hay. It did the work effortlessly. It felt like it had twice the power of my tractor.

My question is, does a diesel ih574 have similar power to the 6060? It would be easiest and most cost effective for me to get one and put my loader on it then sell the gasser if that is the case. Hopefully nearly break even if I get lucky.

Opinions???

Diesel ih 574 has a slightly larger bore stoke, but only adds maybe 1 hp more than gas, but 20% more fuel efficient
Allis 6060 turbo diesel is a bit newer and rated 11 hp more at 64 hp vs 53 hp for ih 574

I'm pretty sure there is a sizeable price difference

Please excuse my ignorance. This was the first and only tractor I've ever owned.
But I've been told by several people when talking about my issue that a 52 horse Diesel engine versus a 52 horse gas engine will feel very different. Mainly because the diesel makes its power more consistently under different loads at a lower rpm, thus allowing it to do more work without running the engine so hard.

Sounds like in your experience the difference that I'm feeling though is the extra 11 horsepower and not the diesel versus gas?

Yes 11 hp is a 21% increase in power and I wonder if your tractor is still operating at 52 hp or if it might have lost
a little hp from a few years ago (2 hp down to 50 hp would = 4%) making the Allis 25% more powerful.

Makes sense when you crunch the numbers. Might just need to look for a bigger tractor.

The big thing I look at is that the IH574 was very popular and there are tons of parts around, the Allis, despite being a well built machine is going to be harder to get parts for.

The diesel will probably pull harder despite being only marginally different as far as the numbers go.. Also, you can usually turn up the fuel a little on a diesel and get another couple horses out of it.. I have a IH684, which would probably be like the Allis, but is pretty much the same chassis as the 574 (same transmission, front end, slightly longer due to a bigger engine)

So with the diesel 574 versus gas 574 you think the diesel is noticeably stronger?

What's the model number of your Westendorf loader?
Max420, TA25, TA26, TA26-12, TA26-plus, WL21, WL27 are all suppose to fit on both IH574 and IH684

IH684 diesel is rated 64 hp same as the Allis 6060

SoB, I turned up the wick on mine a little, probably closing in on 70hp now, but you are correct.

I think the diesel 574 will lug a little better than the gas model.. I didn't think they even MADE a gas model of it!

You may be able to get a little more performance out of the gas model with a few relatively simple modifications.. perhaps you can find a bit a better carb, a better flowing exhaust, etc.. sounds silly on a tractor, but if you're just a little shy of having the power you need it might be enough to get the job done

My loader is a wl21. It will fot on ALOT of different 2wd tractors with new brackets. But the brackets are around $1300 for most.

I made a lowball offer on a diesel 574 today. For that money I can give it a try and resell my current gas 574 and that one if it doesn't work out.

If I'm going to have to buy brackets. Then I'll probably try to find a slightly higher hp tractor.
There is a ih966 at a good price here locally but that is one tractor for some reason that the wl21 isn't listed to fit.

I would look at the overheating problem on your existing tractor. When you are driving it tentatively because of the overheating it gives the perception it is lacking power as you aren't game to push it a bit.

Ken

Everything seems to check out ok. Full tuneup, carb rebuild and adjustment, timing set, coolant changed, fan operates as normal with no play. It runs my 7 foot bushhog with no issues, loader work no issues. Starts overheating with the 6 foot disc mower if I don't run it in 1st or 2nd gear low. Also overheats with nh846 round baler if I don't run it in 1st gear low.
Anything else you can think of?

We had a 564 years ago. As a kid, I accidentally engaged the lever on the right side of the tractor near my heel where you rest your feet when driving. It didn't make much sound, but was enough to make the tractor overheat when raking hay. Can't remember what its for exactly, but it has a T shaped handle and engages the hydraulic pump to run constantly, if I remember correctly (been a lot of years since I been on one of these tractors). I know it's a stretch, but anything is possible.

I would bet that the rad is clogged either on the inside, outside, or both, and it can be hard to see.. On my Massey 255 there were POUNDS of chaff that came out of the fins when I was steam cleaning it.. If the tractor has been run on straight water or antifreeze mixed with non demineralized water, you'll get calcium buildup in the inside of it, seriously hampering cooling ability.
I'd start with setting a water hose aimed at the rad while it's running to soak everything, then switch to a pressure washer.. keep the wand at a 90* to the rad, and just be careful about how close you get to not bend the fins over.. get the corners and everything.. it takes some time to get it ALL..

I'll give it a shot.

So it sounds like people do use these gas 574's just like the diesels and they have the power to run this Equipment. Maybe this thing has just lost a lot of power over the years.

In my opinion 52 hp is great for a loader tractor and other light work, but borderline for real work and round baling.
But it's also easy to get too much invested into equipment. So if it has lost power and a clean radiator restores it great.
Otherwise that ih966 sounds like the ticket to me. (then again... I like having more than I need.)

Latest posts