ih question

Help Support CattleToday:

rbranch

Reaction score
i have been looking for a used tractor in the 120-140 hp range and came across a 5088 ih with a rebuilt engine and tranny.nobody i talk to has had one or knows anyone that has.were these tractors headache cases or is this case an exception.tractor jockey bought and fixed but knows nothing about previous owner.any input on these 5088 would be appreciated. thank you

There one of the best international tractors they ever built.The neighbour has had 4 of them over the years,the 2 he still has are both over 10000 hours,his brother has one and it has just over 15000 hours on it.If the previous owner didn't abuse the 5088 you are looking at,and the motor and tranny were rebuilt by a person that knew what they were doing.I defiantly wouldn't hesitate about buying.Very good tractor's!!

I am not sure if that tractor has a T/A or not if it does that is the biggest problem IH had with their tractors
the engine is a DT466 with smaller sleeves and only 436 ci displacement and they were good engines most guys when they rebuild them put the 466 pistons and sleeves in them and boost the HP from 136pto/hp to 162pto/hp

how were they on fuel.i plan on plowing and pulling my round baler.thanks for all the input.

I know with his i can bale straw for a couple of days,before i need to refuel and it still won't be empty.This fall cleaned corrals for 3 days,and it still wasn't empty.There easy on fuel.What's he want for it $?

The 5x88's did not have a ta. they have an 18 speed synchronized tranny. If it has had the work done to it as claimed it should be good machine. You will want to keep the radiator clean & check the fan bearing on cooling fan. Not sure what kind of money you are looking to spend on one but there is a fella in Illinios that is an IH mechanic that restores these tractors. He goes through the machines from front to back, engine, tranny, paint, interior the whole works and he has done tons of these. His name is Mike Links, call @ 618-795-3950. I am sure he would be able to answer any questions you have about these tractos also. Very nice knowlable fella.Good luck to ya.

Latest posts