IGR

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I put out Wind and Rain w/IGR mineral Feb. 3rd and the cows have been consuming it. When I checked cows yesterday they were covered in flies. Checked patties and they were virtually untouched by the flies. How long til this stuff works?

They need to start getting it about 4-6 weeks before fly season to be most effective.

The IGR keeps the eggs from hatching, but does nothing about the flies already hatched. Run them through the chute and do a pour on.

You won't keep all the flies off with igr but it will reduce them significantly. If you start early enough.

slick4591":11syakqq said:
I put out Wind and Rain w/IGR mineral Feb. 3rd and the cows have been consuming it. When I checked cows yesterday they were covered in flies. Checked patties and they were virtually untouched by the flies. How long til this stuff works?
slick it's there and probably working but you'll never get them all. With our rather mild winters I just go ahead and feed it year round.

Nesikep":2krhtfp4 said:
It also does nothing if you get the flies from the neighbors

Yep

I have a neighbor about a half mile away who basically spends as little money as possible on his cows. The diesel to dig a hole when they die is an unnecessary expense to him.

Fly control is kind of futile for me. I can keep them from hatching, but struggle to keep them off my cows.

Nesikep":37artnvl said:
It also does nothing if you get the flies from the neighbors
It's not suppose to. It's designed to stop the development of fresh hatched larvae in the manure.

If it's working and retarding the development, then I'd hate to see the fly population they would have had. Felt sorry for them and mixed up a Permethrin and diesel this morning to give them some relief. Thanks for the responses.

slick4591":35vs0mq0 said:
If it's working and retarding the development, then I'd hate to see the fly population they would have had. Felt sorry for them and mixed up a Permethrin and diesel this morning to give them some relief. Thanks for the responses.
I usually spray in early spring as well to get rid of what's already swarming even though I fed the stuff year round.

TexasBred":2hh4iwb9 said:
slick4591":2hh4iwb9 said:
I usually spray in early spring as well to get rid of what's already swarming even though I fed the stuff year round.

TB do you also use Permethrin and diesel or do you have another mix you like? Thanks

I poured mine with ultra saber in March and been mixing 4 oz. per head of igr mineral in feed every day and I'm still eat up with flys. I guess it's just gonna be a bad year.

midTN_Brangusman":5vhhe3li said:
TexasBred":5vhhe3li said:
slick4591":5vhhe3li said:

TB do you also use Permethrin and diesel or do you have another mix you like? Thanks
I use and old product, Prolate Lintox and just mix with water and spray. Really soak them from top to bottom. Kills everything that you get it on but doesn't have a very long residual effect. It's just a constant battle. I can't hardly stand it when the cattle start bunching up and moving like a crowded herd of buffalo swishing their tails and stomping their feed trying to get rid of the flies. A never ending battle.

IGR is not effective in controlling flies on its own in most places. The UNL and OSU data I have seen has both showed that. The only places it has a chance to bring the fly load under the economic impact level (typically 200 flies/HD depending on who you talk to) is when your cattle are the only cattle around for miles. IGR can be used in combination with other fly controls (sprays, mists, rubs, pour-ons, tags ect) to create a good overall program though. The company that makes IGR tests it every year & it has always been very effective at preventing new horn flies from developing. The challenge in the real world is getting the targeted amount of IGR in them every day.

I would check your level of IGR- IGR is approved for a certain range (I forgot what it is lets just pretend its 5-10 grams/100 lbs/Hd/d). Are you feeding the lowest approved amount (then any cow that under-consumes does get a big enough dose)? Are you feeding for a 1200 lb cow when your cows actually weight 1400? Are you not factoring in that the calves will eat some too and therefore an under-dosing the heard?

Some cows just aren't going to eat the mineral, and some cows aren't going to eat enough and therefore you will always have some "home grown" horn flies. But if fed at a level where almost all the cows get an effective dose you will reduce the amount of "home grown" horn flies. Which may or may not do you any good, depending on your neighbors!

IGR is meant to help your fly control program, not to be your fly control program. You still should use spray/pour-on/rub, just hopefully with an IGR, you'll use less. Permethrin pour on should last 1-2 weeks, with no IGR you'll probably be once a week, with IGR, hopefully you'll be at 2 weeks or maybe a little more. You still have to spray to kill your neighbors flies.

I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence

My method is feeding cubes in the pasture then getting up wind before spraying them. They're a little spooky at first but get over it fairly quickly.

slick4591":24g35jjs said:
My method is feeding cubes in the pasture then getting up wind before spraying them. They're a little spooky at first but get over it fairly quickly.

I started doing the same thing last year. Bought a 1 1/2 gallon pump up sprayer and some Ivermectin pour on. Put out cubes in a large circle and go around spraying them.

Latest posts