If you're a member of a breed association...

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
What is the most memorable event that you've attended through your breed association? Can be something that was done at a field day... a show...a membership meeting... etc. I'm looking for ideas for things we can do in 2009....Thanks!

The Tarentaise association did a "cowboy olympics" that was pretty fun. Timed event, had to wear provided supersize coveralls and big stiff gloves and then go stack some hay, put a staple in a fence post, put a tag in a cardboard calf head, throw a loop at a roping dummy with a 1-inch cotton rope, etc.

We have done several things with our juniors. One year we had a costume contest where they dressed their heifers up. We have done an obstacle course with the animal. ( walk over a tarp, walk over some logs, walk them into a grooming chute, load into a trailer etc. ) it was all timed.

Watched a bit of the Junior Nationals in Kansas City last year. They had a John Deere/red barn farm scene as the backdrop of the arena, and some neat breed specific stuffed animals etc.

At our field days event that was held in Nebraska we toured the MARC center.
Farm/ranch tours are always a hit as well. Field Days last year were in Oklahoma and was held the same time of the Osage Cattlemens convention, it was awesome! Not enough time to see everything you wanted to....

Our association has an annual sale and 2 field days. The field days are held at different producers locations and we bring in an outside speaker usaully from the U of MO. The speakers vary from nutrition, genetics, fiscal managment, reproduction, etc.

Thanks Dun....
I'm looking into locations that will be centralized for those in the Midwest and Northern Missouri looks like a possibility so I may have to contact U of MO.. Thanks!

When we have our annual field day we try to incorporate a visit to someones farm or ranch to view their cattle. We also try to include guest speakers on various topics.

Have you thought about having a cattlemen's ball? Have a good local band, everybody brings a dish for a potluck supper, and a dance floor of course;)

show time":axta0yhe said:
Have you thought about having a cattlemen's ball? Have a good local band, everybody brings a dish for a potluck supper, and a dance floor of course;)
Oh dang that would be fun!!! I've got an old 1900's barn that would be PERFECT... too bad I'm a little too far east for most of the Midwest members!

Wisteria Farms":2g6nb3es said:
show time":2g6nb3es said:
Oh dang that would be fun!!! I've got an old 1900's barn that would be PERFECT... too bad I'm a little too far east for most of the Midwest members!

A cattlman's ball in a 1900's barn...I don't think anybody will even consider missing it ;-) The drive makes great memories (remember when's)...and basket ball in the old hay loft! The kids will even have a good time. Ppl will be talking about it for years to come...

I shouldn't say I've never used that barn for a party...several years ago we had a hog roast and I used the barn for the kids play area... we strung Xmas lights in there and let them climb up in the loft... pet the horses, etc. However, we did the party in the machine shed with tables outside, etc. There's a fire-pit by the machine shed and I thought people would congregate more around it after it got dark (AND the machine shed is sided in metal whereas the barn is wood... I was less worried about burning my barn down!!!) but we had a couple kegs, country music, etc. and it really was fun... everybody keeps asking when we're going to do another one....

But a "cattleman's ball" sounds like a BLAST!!!

My son is a Santa Gertrudis junior member. Every Sept we have a heifer show and sale. It is really a great time. On the first day there is a field day, and then on the 2nd day they do preg checks, a benefit auction where all proceeds go back to the juniors, heifer sale and then the heifer show. All juniors that show recieve a premium, regardless of where they place in the show. It's really nice.
It's the Santa Gertrudis District 6 show and sale. RIchmond, IN District 6 covers Missouri and east to New York.

Wisteria Farms":2551ulni said:
What is the most memorable event that you've attended through your breed association? Can be something that was done at a field day... a show...a membership meeting... etc. I'm looking for ideas for things we can do in 2009....Thanks!

National western stock show.

gertfan":3rjrfopm said:
My son is a Santa Gertrudis junior member. Every Sept we have a heifer show and sale. It is really a great time. On the first day there is a field day, and then on the 2nd day they do preg checks, a benefit auction where all proceeds go back to the juniors, heifer sale and then the heifer show. All juniors that show recieve a premium, regardless of where they place in the show. It's really nice.
It's the Santa Gertrudis District 6 show and sale. RIchmond, IN District 6 covers Missouri and east to New York.

Last year was the second time I had been to this sale, the first time of selling. I had a blast helping support the juniors, and meeting many new folks.

Every May we have a White Elephant Auction and BBQ at the first show. It's always a lot of fun. All proceeds go to the Juniors.

A while back, we had a field day at one of the members' houses'. It was for the Juniors, and if you wanted, you could go the afternoon before and spend the night. We went the afternoon before and spent the evening swimming, looking around the farm, etc... The next day more people came, including adults, and we had speakers on different topics. They talked about nutrition, parasites, etc... We played a game where we got in groups as Juniors and had to come up with a certain number of breed names that started with each letter of the alphabet. Then we went down to the barn and learned about clipping. They showed us how to do one thing, then had someone actually try it. It was a lot of fun.

cowgirl_up_47":1xodi8v6 said:
Every May we have a White Elephant Auction and BBQ at the first show. It's always a lot of fun. All proceeds go to the Juniors.

A while back, we had a field day at one of the members' houses'. It was for the Juniors, and if you wanted, you could go the afternoon before and spend the night. We went the afternoon before and spent the evening swimming, looking around the farm, etc... The next day more people came, including adults, and we had speakers on different topics. They talked about nutrition, parasites, etc... We played a game where we got in groups as Juniors and had to come up with a certain number of breed names that started with each letter of the alphabet. Then we went down to the barn and learned about clipping. They showed us how to do one thing, then had someone actually try it. It was a lot of fun.
Thanks a bunch! I'm going to have to put on one of these "shindigs" so with all the ideas everyone's given, it should be a lot of fun!

Latest posts