If you were starting a new herd from scratch..

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you get them from J&J? I have been thinking about getting something from them, just wondering how they are to deal with. I see they lease bulls as well, might be what I do when the time comes.

Did you get them from J&J? I have been thinking about getting something from them, just wondering how they are to deal with. I see they lease bulls as well, might be what I do when the time comes.

I got some local and a couple in the picture from J&J.
Have three grandkids that are livestock judges they love the cross for commercial.

As for getting them bigger before calving, early on we calved a bunch of heifers that calved their first calf at 3 years old. They were big and wild which made them hard to handle. They didn't want anything to do with a calf.
@gcreekrch @faster horses

I went back and reread this whole deal and yes I missed the Hereford part but you switched from WE to THEY at some point and I'm not sure if the group of cattle changed with it.

This is what I read. It clearly says WE which led me to believe they were your cattle or under your care. Not sure if this was the same group or not that were starving and left their calves because you start using THEY at some point in the story.

Dont try to talk down to me... yall already showed yalls hand with thinking later breeding makes heifers wild. 😂

... and I dont give two flips if is 3 head or 3000 head... I ain't impressed. Stupid is stupid and it comes in all shapes and sizes. Take that nonsense some where else, too.

It might be, I know colder winters bring bigger calves.
I agree on that as we calve in Feb and see more weight. Not a problem as long as you watch calf shape in sires. Same genetics in summer and fall herds can drop 15 to 20 pounds off of calves. The problem with heavier calves that are born easily is buyer rejection. They like them when they see them as adults but there is such a fad of low BW that they look elsewhere. For growth and commercial, it is hard to beat a stout calf at birth. A real calving ease bull can sire vigorous calves but I do not think that includes the pseudo-calving ease curvebender bulls. Shorten the gestation period too much and you need neonatal efforts.

Weight on newborn calves can come from caloric intake of the cows during the last 60 days of pregnancy.
Cattle need more feed in cold weather to to withstand its effects and some of the extra fuel to keep the
cow warm goes into calf. (If) you are supplementing hay with grain you may want to consider withdrawing
the grain or any high caloric mix during the last 30 days of pregnancy,
[Not sure the source on this but I am thinking it may have came from the North Dakota Cattle Research several
years ago.] I do not calve in cold weather but when I did I would go to nothing but grass hay in the last 30 days
and had no more problems with large calves] Your mileage may vary

I agree on that as we calve in Feb and see more weight. Not a problem as long as you watch calf shape in sires. Same genetics in summer and fall herds can drop 15 to 20 pounds off of calves. The problem with heavier calves that are born easily is buyer rejection. They like them when they see them as adults but there is such a fad of low BW that they look elsewhere. For growth and commercial, it is hard to beat a stout calf at birth. A real calving ease bull can sire vigorous calves but I do not think that includes the pseudo-calving ease curvebender bulls. Shorten the gestation period too much and you need neonatal efforts.
Agreed. There are a lot of people with cattle in the warmer regions that will sacrifice performance for ease of calving as their herds are pretty much left on their own. Not the case here. We don't want problems but are in attendance if they arise and have the ability to look after them. Most Angus breeders here will start to see resistance at 95 lbs.

Weight on newborn calves can come from caloric intake of the cows during the last 60 days of pregnancy.
Cattle need more feed in cold weather to to withstand its effects and some of the extra fuel to keep the
cow warm goes into calf. (If) you are supplementing hay with grain you may want to consider withdrawing
the grain or any high caloric mix during the last 30 days of pregnancy,
[Not sure the source on this but I am thinking it may have came from the North Dakota Cattle Research several
years ago.] I do not calve in cold weather but when I did I would go to nothing but grass hay in the last 30 days
and had no more problems with large calves] Your mileage may vary
I have never seen any difference in calf weights because of feed. Have seen calves born early or full term and weak because of malnutrition.
We bought a load of under nourrished heifers last spring. Put them on self feed of good hay and 7 lbs of pea screenings. These heifers weighed 900 lbs with the calf in them. Nearly all calved unassisted.

I got some local and a couple in the picture from J&J.
Have three grandkids that are livestock judges they love the cross for commercial.
I've seen a couple breeding them in the east Texas area-the new "premium" cow cross apparently

Latest posts