If you were picking a heifer to show?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi
If you want the opinion of a French breeder who doesn't know this breed :hide: , #2 is the most harmonious, she has a good chest depth.
But it also depends on the way they are walking etc...

#1 is really nice. That would be my first pick. #3, maybe. The rest will be fun to breed!

I like 3, but in the pic it looks like maybe she bows a bit on her top? You can sometimes work that out, and it could just be the angle. The pic on 5 is tough, but I could see potential there. When it comes to show cattle, you can fix a lot of things with hair and feed, but you'll never get enough hair on an Angus to fix #2's rear legs. She may be a good cow down the line, but most judges start at the feet, and may never even see her capacity or strong top.

shortybreeder":3t4jxp95 said:
When it comes to show cattle, you can fix (not fix but hide faults) a lot with hair and feed, but you'll never get enough hair on an Angus to fix #2's rear legs. She may be a good cow down the line, but most judges start at the feet, and may never even see her capacity or strong top.
+1

3 is your only real option. Feminine, clean fronted, good base width, good spring of rib, good muscle, correct with a nice next extension.

5 similar in type and kind to 3, although she hasn't got the same width and capacity of 3

1 lacks the base width of 3 and front feet toes out, not as strong in heartgirth or the same spring of rib

4 lacks the femininity of the heifers above her and tends to have a reverse wedge, she has very good capacity, but the shoulder rib attachment isn't strong enough

2 Not feminine enough trough head and shoulders, heavy fronted, tailhead that creeps up the spine, silindrical body with hocks and pasterns that could do with more set.

There I've placed them for you with commentary like you would have gotten in the showring.

#1 is the show heifer of the group, deeper ribbed and a touch more correct. You would have to feed the hell out of #2 to get her to look soft and deep enough to show.

KNERSIE":3kii9qic said:
3 is your only real option. Feminine, clean fronted, good base width, good spring of rib, good muscle, correct with a nice next extension.

5 similar in type and kind to 3, although she hasn't got the same width and capacity of 3
1 lacks the base width of 3 and front feet toes out, not as strong in heart girth or the same spring of rib
4 lacks the femininity of the heifers above her and tends to have a reverse wedge, she has very good capacity, but the shoulder rib attachment isn't strong enough
2 Not feminine enough trough head and shoulders, heavy fronted, tail head that creeps up the spine, cylindrical body with hocks and pasterns that could do with more set.

There I've placed them for you with commentary like you would have gotten in the show ring.
Yup and just like in the show ring there will ALWAYS be disagreement about how the judge placed 'em. :D

Son of Butch":2cfoahob said:
KNERSIE":2cfoahob said:

1 lacks the base width of 3 and front feet toes out, not as strong in heart girth or the same spring of rib
2 Not feminine enough trough head and shoulders, heavy fronted, tail head that creeps up the spine, cylindrical body with hocks and pasterns that could do with more set.

There I've placed them for you with commentary like you would have gotten in the show ring.
Yup and just like in the show ring there will ALWAYS be disagreement about how the judge placed 'em. :D
+1 if you took three judges they would all likely have a different order just like I would.

Thanks Gizmom for posting this thread. I find it interesting how people view the different calves. Please share with us which heifer the student selects. BTW, I would still pick #3.

BC

It has been a fun thread I love seeing the different opinions on the heifers. It goes to show just how differently we all look at these animals. I have a tendency (and I fully admit the fault) to let the genetics of an animal sway me. However I am blessed with the boss who doesn't pay much attention to the genetics he just looks at the animal so a really good balance between the two of us. There have been many times when I am saying no don't cut that calf look at his genetics, while the boss is tightening the band and him saying I don't care about his genetics look at his feet, or shoulder or whatever it is about the calf that he didn't like. I don't know which one they will pick, I only posted four photos they have about 30 calves to choose from. I would love to see a kid pick up the number one calf of the group for a show heifer I think she would work. She is going to be in the All Black Classic sale on Saturday. Now we need to get one going on bull calves!

gizmom