If you were just starting a small cow/calf operation....

Help Support CattleToday:

F-1 is the resulting cross of 2 purebred(or not) cattle, sheep, hogs. In this case and most of the time when talking cattle(in my mind) F-1 are the crossing of Herefords and Brahmans. They produce variations in their paterns but produce a tigerstriped offspring. Look back a few posts at Caustics picture. Behind the bull and the calves is a classic example of what one could expect.

Scotty

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1a5ak639 said:
A beginner needs to start with a breed that will be easier to work,and have fewer problems calving,etc. I suggest Murray Grey. ;-) :cboy:

No kidding!

Scotty

Actually, for disclosure purposes, I am not entirely new at raising cattle - just haven't done it in the last 15 or so years, and I have no one around to lean on for advice. Both my grandfathers were large scale cattle ranchers, but they passed away years ago, and I need a more indepth understanding - if not academic mastery - of the business, since things are very different now.

Scotty - Last week I completed the Texas A&M Extension CD-based course on Beef Quality Assurance Certification. I am going to take the follow up (Part II) course at some point in the next couple of months, and I am going to the Beef Cattle Short Course at Texas A&M next year. I'm an Aggie - went there for grad school - so any excuse to go to the motherland (other than attending a losing football game) is good with me!

I have also downloaded virtually every publication on ranch management, forage management, cattle and goats that TAMU and TX Extension offer. I bought the Texas Beef Cattle Management handbook as well, and have read a few books on the topic.

SO, I say all that to say that the health issues are very much at the forefront of my planning. One thing that still eludes me is exactly when to vaccinate, with what, and for what (specifics). I guess that is something that I will need to consult a vet for, at some point in the future....

THANK YOU all for your input on here. This is VERY helpful to me and I'm glad I accidentally stumbled across Cattle Today. This is a great resource.

I'm an Aggie - went there for grad school - so any excuse to go to the motherland (other than attending a losing football game) is good with me!

Sorry. I am glad to help and will continue, but I went to school in west Texas. I went to one of those "losing Aggie" games. Glad you are with us.

Scotty

I'm an Aggie what do ya know. Just a Utah state Aggie. My uncle graduated from texas A&M though. So i sympathize with you rough year in football. Yall Ag students at A&M?

No, I'm the only one - Scotty was quoting me. Don't have an ag degree either -wish I did!

My only point in mentioning that was to say that I've got pretty much every thing they publish.

Hope no one minds - I want to butt in here a minute.

Caustic - would you have a good picture of a tigerstripe? Being from Iowa, I have no experience with the cattle you raise in Texas. That is some interesting coloring that I have never seen before.

Farmhand":34tudtx2 said:
Hope no one minds - I want to butt in here a minute.

Caustic - would you have a good picture of a tigerstripe? Being from Iowa, I have no experience with the cattle you raise in Texas. That is some interesting coloring that I have never seen before.

not Caustic, but here's some pics from the JD Hudgins website:

hmcattle.jpg

hmcattle2.jpg

Thanks! Do they have much hair? The picture looks like they are pretty sleek. They must also be the reason for the saying "looks can be deceiving". I wouldn't have guessed they could be hot tempered from the pic.

Farmhand":sc3fmv0s said:
Thanks! Do they have much hair? The picture looks like they are pretty sleek. They must also be the reason for the saying "looks can be deceiving". I wouldn't have guessed they could be hot tempered from the pic.

they're typically slick-haired.

what cross is that calf half angus. how do the tigerstripes hold up in the winters like in ky.what about longevity with them. do they keep there body weight good. i would love to have some of these cows and breed them to my braunvieh bull. just hard to find them in ky. not sure if the braunvieh would take the ear off them or not

KellerAg,

You know, I was asking all those same questions about 3 years ago... What I decided then was to go the registered route. In hindsight, I would say that was wrong.

I did initially buy three high quality young registered brangus heifers and a young registered bull and spent quite a bit of money doing so. I just this last weekend finally had my first registered calf. So, seems like it took forever to buy young, high quality animals (which is all I could afford at the time), wait for them to get old enough to breed, breed them sucessfully, and get their calves to market.

In the meantime, I bought some decent quality commercial brangus cows that started calving quicker and immediately throwing some cash flow. MUCH easier to go the commercial route initially.

Based on what I went through, I would say spend less money on a larger commercial operation initially. As soon as the cash flow from that is working for you, THEN start upgrading to some registered stock. I wish I had done that myself...

Farmhand":1b6ils6d said:

They get here with short fuses and matches. You can't drive one through a 20' gate if you want one in a pen, and they can dive through a hole that would make a rabbit back up.

Txag, thanks for the pictures. They look like they could get real volative, real fast!

trin":1e2fo13r said:
what cross is that calf half angus. how do the tigerstripes hold up in the winters like in ky.what about longevity with them. do they keep there body weight good. i would love to have some of these cows and breed them to my braunvieh bull. just hard to find them in ky. not sure if the braunvieh would take the ear off them or not
==============
trn...,
(Nice cow and calf in the pics)
Several around here. But, read this thread carefully. I will be more blunt. Unless you are experienced and set up right..you don't want any. Beautiuful calves(with Angus sires to my knowledge), good mothers, lot of milk..but one attitude I don't want around me. Had one in the commercial herd a few years back from a group purchase. she cleared a 6' corral fence going up hill from a dead standstill about 6 months preg. Never saw anything like it.
After I found out a little more I was told we were lucky that she took her aggression out that way rather than the usual approach. We had the vet to dart her and she went down the road. Brought good money.

On the range ...processs once a year...maybe.

KellerAg,

I think I can offer you some first hand knowledge on exactly what you plan to do. I have already done the exact same thing you plan to do. 2 years ago I purchased 114 acres near Corsicanna, TX. knowing nothing about cattle. I am there approx 4 days a week, and have learned several important lessons which you can now benefit from:

1. I bought F-1 Tigerstripes "Absolutley no regrets"
2. I bought a Purebred Charlois Bull "Absolutley no regrets"

Here is where I WENT WRONG:

1. Always build your Working Pen before you buy Cattle, I would recommend a Squeeze Chute as well since the Tigerstripes require one when they are being worked.

2. Vacinate, Worm, and Ear Tag all Cattle immediatly upon purchase. "This wont be a problem since you will already have a Working Pen."

3. Keep accurate records on individual animals, such as Innoculation and worming dates and dose, Calf birth dates, Calf birth weights if possible.

These things will help you better manage and control your operation. I would be happy to show you my place, and tell you where I found the best deals on all of my equipment, as well as who I purchases my Cattle from If you are interested. Good Luck, and enjoy it, I am!