If you had to start over

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Just wondering if you had to start over in life what career would you choose ? Or what is your current career? My work is about to change things up and I will have to work 12till 9pm and work either Saturday or a Sunday. That would really leave me with one day a week to see my two young sons and my wife. Not sure I want to make that sacrifice to continue my current career with my employer. Iam thinking about a change but not sure. I have been at this company for 15 years.

I went to school originally for teaching. Quickly switched to environmental studies. Then got a job and realized I better pick something that makes better money. Switched to business, 3rd try was a charm, still though...no one has ever asked me about my education in an interview. Worked my way through university working as a lifeguard. Then once I was done with schooling I started working in technology. Decided my best plan was to get a job as an assistant to someone whos job I wanted. That worked well for me but then I had a baby and decided to start working for my family business...I finally caved. Like you I just wanted to be around for my son and my husband and my current job wouldn't of allowed that. I now only work at a "real job" about 12 hours a week.

If I could start over I would have immediately gone into science. And studied to be a pharmacist. But that came to me later. My dream job would actually be selling pharmaceuticals and I debate doing that now that my son is getting older.

Depending on your location, can't really go wrong in the medical field. I am a respiratory therapist. There are lots of choices besides nursing...

collegeboundgal said:
Depending on your location, can't really go wrong in the medical field. I am a respiratory therapist. There are lots of choices besides nursing...

My wife is a RN , pretty sure I would never make it through the college classes for that.

I'm a nurse anesthetist (CRNA) for about 12 years now.. Was my first and only career choice but I think a veterinarian would have been a good option for me.
I am just getting into the cattle business. Starting out with feeder calves and will go from there.

That's kind of a loaded question. I'm really happy with the way things have turned out for us, any past changes and things might be different. About the only thing I would change now would be my work schedule. I work rotating 12 hr shifts, nights, holidays, birthdays, doesn't matter work schedule doesn't change. If I could do things over though I'd have went into bigger debt on land and other investments when I was younger and had it in me to push harder all day. When a younger person ask me about work I never sugar coat the work schedule part...my job is good but the schedule sucks and will never change. I've missed allot because of it and now that I'm getting older think about it more.

Lucky said:
That's kind of a loaded question. I'm really happy with the way things have turned out for us, any past changes and things might be different. About the only thing I would change now would be my work schedule. I work rotating 12 hr shifts, nights, holidays, birthdays, doesn't matter work schedule doesn't change. If I could do things over though I'd have went into bigger debt on land and other investments when I was younger and had it in me to push harder all day. When a younger person ask me about work I never sugar coat the work schedule part...my job is good but the schedule sucks and will never change. I've missed allot because of it and now that I'm getting older think about it more.

Worked rotating shift for 30+ years.
I was willing to work the schedule for all the benefits it brought to my family.
I was highly compensated for it.
What I missed was worth it for what it provided to my children. All are contributing members of society pulling down substantial salaries. Nothing in job spells fun! Fun is purchased with Money from JOB.

collegeboundgal said:
Lol. Go for x-ray technician.

That's what I do. It's frustrating that everyone thinks what we do is so easy and that we're a place for folks that can't get into nursing. Having worked with nurses for as long as I have, I'm honestly pretty scared that some of them are the first line of defense keeping me alive.

If I could do things differently I would have become a Physician's Assistant. Add about $30K a year doing what I like to do, and go anywhere b/c I'd be a provider. Oh well, can't what if's......

Rather than wasting time and money on university, I would have went straight ranching right out of highschool and taken my 50k in the bank and bought a good chunk of farmland nearby. The appreciation on land locally alone in the last 2 decades would have doubled to tripled my money.

If I could start over again, I would start a company were people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online and name it Amazonian....starting sometime in the early to mid 80s when AL Gore first discovered the internet. I could have gazillion quadrupled my money.

I fell timber for 20+ years. Broke my back on the job and had to take up a new line of work. A little bit of school and a bit of luck and I fell into a job with a conservation district. Spent the next 23 years working with farmers. Not the best money in the world but good hours and benefits. About 3 years ago I retired. Given my choice I think retirement is the best. Wish I would have gotten into it 45/50 years ago.
Pick out something you would like to do and figure out how to get in the door. If you truly enjoy what you do you will never have to work another day in your life.

jltrent said:
If I could start over again, I would start a company were people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online and name it Amazonian....starting sometime in the early to mid 80s when AL Gore first discovered the internet. I could have gazillion quadrupled my money.
That might give you enough money to keep running cows.

hurleyjd said:
jltrent said:
That might give you enough money to keep running cows.
I would farm til it was all gone. lol

I live my teaching job and can't actually doing anything else in the world of punching a clock. If I could go back to age 18, I honestly believe I would have went to Nashville and tried the music business.

I guess most feel they have wild ideas when young and then realize those ideas were far fetched as they mature. I'm the opposite. I thought being someone in show business was as far above someone like me as the moon is the earth. At age 51, however, I realize I could have made it; it's all about putting in the work. It's
not as if Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard were born with any advantages.

I actually do have singing talent. I know I could have made it

herofan said:
I live my teaching job and can't actually doing anything else in the world of punching a clock. If I could go back to age 18, I honestly believe I would have went to Nashville and tried the music business.

I almost did the same at 18. I was pretty close to packing up my drums and heading out, but I didn't know a soul there and I knew that trying to head down there with no contacts was a bad way to blow through money. My dad went to NYC to do the pro musician thing and had a fairly large contact taking him around and it took 18 months to get a decent gig. Looking back I'm pretty glad I didn't do it. Not sure I would have made it to 21.

herofan said:

I guess most feel they have wild ideas when young and then realize those ideas were far fetched as they mature. I'm the opposite. I thought being someone in show business was as far above someone like me as the moon is the earth. At age 51, however, I realize I could have made it; it's all about putting in the work. It's
not as if Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard were born with any advantages.

I actually do have singing talent. I know I could have made it
You are not to old to give it a try go for it.