If you had one regret?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
In the cattle business, not your personal life, what would it be?

I have days where I wish I just had 20 cows, that all calved in a 60 day window. Bought my hay, and just enjoyed my animals. Keep my best 2 or 3 heifers every year. Maybe focus on AI more.----------I pretty much come home to a train wreck every afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. I guess our priorities change with age. A relaxing ride on my 4 wheeler through the cows this afternoon sounds better than what I know I have waiting for me.

I wouldn't have taken my best two full bloods to get flushed. Neither would stick to AI or a bull after that. Sure was expensive hamburger.

I would have sold everything down to my 8-10 best cows and started over again last year when everything was so high. I would be money ahead and could keep my best heifers at a minimum cost instead of building up when I should have sold them. I'll learn, I hope.

OldCrow":1ck7p9jv said:
I would have sold everything down to my 8-10 best cows and started over again last year when everything was so high. I would be money ahead and could keep my best heifers at a minimum cost instead of building up when I should have sold them. I'll learn, I hope.

I probably grew 25% during that time. Imagine how stupid I feel.

Try not to have any as that day is gone into history. Just hope my vision improves on this journey I have come full circle strayed from Braford and have come back to the girls I took to the dance, plan on staying with them to the end.

OldCrow":129xoeif said:

X2

Selling my first batch of cows when I was a kid when my parents busted up. Had nowhere to go with the cattle except to the sale. Sure put me on a different path at the time. The cash was soon gone but I always held a job since the age of 11. 20 payed for cows would sure have put me in a different position now (15 years later). The best lessons are learned the hard way. I sure am grateful for what I have now though :)

jedstivers":3m24hq5o said:
Dave":3m24hq5o said:
In the words of an old Chris LeDoux song, "if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."
Which song is that in?
As to the question I wish I had gotten in these calves long ago.

It is on one of his very first recordings. I can't think of the title but it is about driving to Cheyenne and he gets there just in time to see his bronc being turned out. It is old enough that I bought the tape from Chris himself and listened to it while I was going down the road.

Not buying cattle sooner. Instead I was buying risky gold and silver stock that tanked.

jedstivers":77bx5fxx said:
Dave":77bx5fxx said:
In the words of an old Chris LeDoux song, "if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."
Which song is that in?
As to the question I wish I had gotten in these calves long ago.
Photo finish was the name of that tune.

Only one?
I over invested in renovation early on. A dairy mindset, and running stockers on mined out land, resulted in lots of purchased inputs. Still renovating some, but at a slower biological pace.
After I got a little smarter - - I asked the grazing expert, who helped advise my over invest, what the end game was? No answer initially, then he suggested buying more mined out ground...

Regrets, lots of regrets, But to narrow it down to cattle.
I'd have to say chasing the dream.
I could have stayed on the ranch and enjoyed the benefits and not the responsibility, but I was too smart to be just a hired man. I wanted to be the Patron !
Many miles and struggles only to find out being the Patron isn't as it's appears.

As BF said 20 cows and slowing down isn't nearly as stressful.
Lots of free time, maybe too much free time.
Maybe its lazy, ambition less, or weak ?
But it's more enjoyable

Probably need to change my user name.
I'm just a STO taking life easy now

That I had started at black angus/Hereford/cross instead of trying to do the niche thing and be unique. He//, my freezer beef customers don't care, but we didn't know that starting out. What do you do though? Just learn from your mistakes and move forward.

Cross-7":1dlaqpjg said:
I could have stayed on the ranch and enjoyed the benefits and not the responsibility, but I was too smart to be just a hired man. I wanted to be the Patron !
Many miles and struggles only to find out being the Patron isn't as it's appears.

But it's more enjoyable

Quit walking with that little rain cloud over your head all the time...Smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine. You'll live longer and be much happier.

Bigfoot":37fp4jet said:
In the cattle business, not your personal life, what would it be?

I have days where I wish I just had 20 cows, that all calved in a 60 day window. Bought my hay, and just enjoyed my animals. Keep my best 2 or 3 heifers every year. Maybe focus on AI more.----------I pretty much come home to a train wreck every afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. I guess our priorities change with age. A relaxing ride on my 4 wheeler through the cows this afternoon sounds better than what I know I have waiting for me.

I would not have bought those high $$ calves I bought right before the prices fell out. I did sell most of my cattle during the high period.

TexasBred":3e0oyqe5 said:
Cross-7":3e0oyqe5 said:

But it's more enjoyable

Quit walking with that little rain cloud over your head all the time...Smell the roses and enjoy the sunshine. You'll live longer and be much happier.

If that's the way it sounded, that wasn't the intent.
Actually the opposite and I'm enjoying it

Latest posts