If you could?

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
After reading about the passing of Dun's old cow Granny, it made me think, if I could have just one cow, bull, heifer, or steer back alive again (or own it again) which one would I pick?

First I remembered back to when I was knee high to a grasshopper, and we owned a old simmy bull named Boomer. He was as gentle as a kitten, and loved to be led around and pick grass in the yard. I loved to brush him and led him around, but he was more than a pet, he was a great bull and made some very nice calves . We still own one of his daughters, she turned out to be a grade A cow, and turned 13 this year.
She's the red blaze out in the front of the herd.
8000417425_557feb57db_c.jpg

Then I thought back to the bottle calf we had, named Barney, that turned out to be a great cow, and a great friend. She was 1 of 5 bottle calves we bought from a local dairy, 1/2 Angus and 1/2 holstein. All but her either died or was sold, and she ended up living to be 17 years old. She had this one steer that weighed in at 1369 at a year and 5 months, made her look like a dwarf. She was such a sweet old cow, and I would just put my arm around her thin old neck, and we would just stand there and look at the other cows. She would come up to the gate when we fed bales in the winter time and we would let her out in the yard to pick grass, and then we would put her back in with a scoop of corn. She sure loved corn...when we would rattle the corn bucket, she would come running, and could outrun any other cow, or calf even at 16 years old. It sure would be nice to see her again out picking grass.

Then I wished I could see my old Grizz heifer again. I bought her 2 years old, and showed her, and she did about the best out of any heifer i've shown at any fair. She was a beauty, and would've made a super steer momma the way she gained on very little feed was very impressive. But 2 weeks after the last show I found her dead, and the lab said she had died from rare form of Emphysema that she had picked up as a calf, but for some reason she hadn't been affected by it till then. She basically had a exstream attack that killed her very quickly with little sign.
I posted her picture on here before over on the show board.
8159777420_8b4eb19930_c.jpg

8159790714_2e3f41d007_c.jpg

I could probably go on about more cattle that we had owned and wish I could see again, but I would probably break out in tears. So if I could pick one to see again, I probably could pick just one.
So please give us all those stories about your favorite old cow or what ever gender of cattle that you would love to see again, or just leave a story about why they were your favorite.

White spot moma is the one I miss the most. See had hoof problems as a teenager and I sold her. Still have some of her calves in the herd.
And Ava her oldest daughter will come when she is called, and you can pet and talk to her just like her moma. She was like a dog to me.
When you gotta tell yourself their only a cow, you have a good one.

Blondie. She was the first cow I ever bought as a young boy. Not sure how old she was when I bought her, but she always bred back quick and got a good calf out of her every year I had her. She got to where her teeth were gone, and she couldn't keep in good condition any more, and I had to sell her. Unloading her at the sale barn was the toughest thing I've ever had to do as far as selling one. She was the gentlest cow I have ever been around. She loved to be brushed, and would always come up looking to have her neck scratched. She would even let me clean out her hooves in the field if they had mud or a rock stuck in them. If one of the other cows got too close to me, she would run them off like she was looking out for me. I could always tell her beller apart from all of the other cows. Took me a long time to get used to not seeing and hearing her out there.

Molly. She was a white faced brindle cow that was medium build, but man, was she ever a fantastic cow. Bred back every single year, same time, never a bad calf, gave plenty of milk, great disposition, and lead the herd. She lived to be 17 yrs old. Wished I had a picture of her, but I dont.

Well this was my first purchase @ a auction, I bid to get the price rolling, I bought her and her momma for $1,500. Her name was midnight, gentle as could be. I would put my daughter on her back and she would stand or walk around a bit. She got her head stuck in a gate and broke neck, I think she was chasing coyotes, her calf pictured had her first calf in July, She was struck by lightning labor day this year, needless to say Broke my wife and my heart.

DSC03982.JPG

A brahmasine bull I had back in mid 80's. Got two calf crops out of him, and sold him. Every heifer I kept out of him poured milk. Bred him to my longhorn roping heifers the last year. They even weaned 500-600 pound calves. I wish I had kept him till he got cripple or died. I would have even collected semen on him, if I had known then what I know now.