If you could start over again

Help Support CattleToday:

I might have bought young bred cows Instead of 527lb heifers to feed and then breed. But that was 12 years ago and I've came a very long way since then, very happy with where I am today.

Well seeing as I live and family always lived and raised cattle in South Texas, I would do a brahman cow with hereford bulls! Creates a super momma cow that raises great calves and is insect and heat tolerant! Otherwise I would buy those F1 momma cows and put an angus or limousin bull on them. Calves will be 1/4 brahman and 3/4 beef! Those F1 Tigerstripe replacement heifers bring a pretty price down in Texas and Louisiana. I am actually thinking about diving back in myself. I am trying to lease 300 acres for 12 years and then get a usda loan at 2.125% for 5 years to buy 100 bred either F1 cows or brahman cows and put a hereford or angus bull on them. My wife and I both work and need no profit from the cows for the first 4 years so all the money made would go to paying off the cows and in year 5 and beyond all the profit will be ours. They would be right down close to the gulf so no problem with winters and spring comes really early. Can cut all the hay we need for our cows.