If only

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
If only I could cut hay. Not complaining about all the rain but it would be nice to be able to cut hay sometime. I just checked on field and its falling over and there is about an inch of standing water on it. More rain in the forecast. Got plenty of grass. Cows are fat and sassy but it would be nice if I could just make some hay.

Jo-

you ever thought about bale age? My T85 i've been able to windrow behind conditioner and bale right behind cutter on a hot day. Hay in a day is nice....one day of clear weather, two tractor passes and done, with more nutrition to boot.

Does your boat have enough room for one more??

I can say this has been a year where I just open the gates and letem go where ever they want . no need to tightly manage grass Its all growing too fast.

I attended a couple of seminars on baleage a few years ago and IT is the cats meow . I am too small to justify the cost .

jdg":hxvid1nu said:
Jo-

you ever thought about bale age? My T85 i've been able to windrow behind conditioner and bale right behind cutter on a hot day. Hay in a day is nice....one day of clear weather, two tractor passes and done, with more nutrition to boot.

I've done it before but would prefer not to if I can help it. I may have to do it this year though.

I'd like to cut some hay too. Water everywhere. I promised myself I wouldn't complain if it rained all summer though. I've only made just over 200 bales of silage, but that option is out for awhile until I can move bales and navigate in the feed yard.
But yes, if only I could cut hay.

Jogeephus":3t9v3kal said:
jdg":3t9v3kal said:
Jo-

I've done it before but would prefer not to if I can help it. I may have to do it this year though.

what do you prefer about hay? Certainly easier to transport, and if barn stored will last longer....but i seem to keep my TDN higher with baleage and they don't seem to waste as much. What's been your experience?

The hay was good enough but I just found it troublesome with the weight of the bales, the plastic and the extra cost. I just view it as a necessary evil and will only do it as a last resort in wet times.

Todays forecast: 30% chance of rain, mostly before 1:00

DSC01696.jpg

ga.prime":b9cago57 said:
It's rained here 5 times since yesterday morning.

Its rained here 5 times since March. :( I bought hay (40 rolls) yesterday for the first time in 5 years. My 50 acre hay field made 84 rolls.

I guess the good thing is, is that is is spotty. 40 miles makes a lot of difference. Hauled a few calves to the Buffalo sale this morning and that area looks to be pretty good shape moisture wise. I wish I could bale their road side and medians. 109 degrees on the way home. But its a dry heat. Ha

bird dog":3d936y52 said:
ga.prime":3d936y52 said:

Its rained here 5 times since March. :( I bought hay (40 rolls) yesterday for the first time in 5 years. My 50 acre hay field made 84 rolls.

I guess the good thing is, is that is is spotty. 40 miles makes a lot of difference. Hauled a few calves to the Buffalo sale this morning and that area looks to be pretty good shape moisture wise. I wish I could bale their road side and medians. 109 degrees on the way home. But its a dry heat. Ha

I know what you are going through which is why I'm not about to complain about the rain. The feeling of helplessness as you walk across crunchy dry grass that should be green is something most in society will never understand.

Jogeephus":e4op7z5d said:
bird dog":e4op7z5d said:
ga.prime":e4op7z5d said:

I know what you are going through which is why I'm not about to complain about the rain. The feeling of helplessness as you walk across crunchy dry grass that should be green is something most in society will never understand.

Amen. Lots of times I have been watching the local news and we will be in a bad dry spell and the news anchors will say something to the extent of "they hope it doesn't rain today" bc of a baseball game, or festival, or an outdoor concert or whatever. And I tell my wife "they sure don't live in my world".

I will complain about the heat. And I will complain about it being dry. But very rarely about cold. And NEVER about rain.

Unfortunately with the temps as the are, that pretty and green isn't going to last very long. Color is fading fast here.

JMJ Farms":9vref51o said:
Lots of times I have been watching the local news and we will be in a bad dry spell and the news anchors will say something to the extent of "they hope it doesn't rain today" bc of a baseball game, or festival, or an outdoor concert or whatever.
That's why I don't watch weather people, they invariably wish for no rain. I look online at 3, 5, and 7 day forecasts on UGA Weather and GFC Weather and doppler radar on Intellicast and Weather Channel.

ga.prime":2mwnphbn said:
JMJ Farms":2mwnphbn said:
Lots of times I have been watching the local news and we will be in a bad dry spell and the news anchors will say something to the extent of "they hope it doesn't rain today" bc of a baseball game, or festival, or an outdoor concert or whatever.
That's why I don't watch weather people, they invariably wish for no rain. I look online at 3, 5, and 7 day forecasts on UGA Weather and GFC Weather and doppler radar on Intellicast and Weather Channel.

I may have to check out Intellicast. I use the Weather Channel app daily as well but they frequently let me down. They usually nail the temps. And their rain forecast during the winter is usually real accurate. But where we live, with these hot summers, a thunderstorm can pop up out of nowhere. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you've just got to go with your gut sometimes and take a chance when haying. Now I'm not gonna lay it down with a 90% chance of rain but I don't pay 60% or less much attention. You win some and lose some.

A late feller that that lived across the river used to bale hay for a living. He would say "you can't bale it if it ain't cut." I guess he was right but you better have a good tedder unless it's Bahia. Another neighbor cut down some millet a few years back. Took them two and 1/2 weeks to get it balled up.

Latest posts