If I win Dun's lottery.....

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a small island where I have no neighbours with cattle. Neighbour's mutts broke through the fence (again) and now I have about a dozen holstein bullocks and a mature sussex bull with 17 open replacement heifers. That after they've already grazed down an alfalfa hayfield this week that was due to be cut next week for baleage.

On second thought, I want an island where I have no neighbours period, that way I won't get any phone calls early Sunday mornings to come help because their underfed holstein heifer is struggling to have the fleckview calf that was supposed to be born easily.

I went out to my place this morning and found that feral (or neighbor's) dogs had killed my latest newborn heifer calf. I'm just a bit upset - and not happy at all with the calve's mother for not protecting it. She's going to get a ride to the sale barn in the next month.

George

Neighbors can sure be a major PAIN in the you-know-what. I have had my go arounds over the years with them as well.. and primarily because of mutt bulls getting in with my cows. There is nothing more frustrating.. I feel your pain!

As far as the dogs.. one of our friends just had a 200+ lb calf tore up by what he thought was coyotes, but I'm willing to bet it's dogs. Hopefully he'll be keeping watch so he can get rid of them.

I would love an island as well! But frankly, if I had an island I don't think I'd share it with cows! :lol2:

IF it is dogs in numbers who know what they are doing there is nothing one cow can do to stop them. You are probably just lucky they didn't run the cow down too.

Nothing a high powered rifle won't solve, warn them, then start shooting! :nod:

Herefords.US":37brodjf said:
I went out to my place this morning and found that feral (or neighbor's) dogs had killed my latest newborn heifer calf. I'm just a bit upset - and not happy at all with the calve's mother for not protecting it. She's going to get a ride to the sale barn in the next month.

George

Unless she had horns a foot long she wouldn't have a chance against a group of hogs and then t hey would wear her out and still get the calf.

You know some strategically placed hamburger meat laced with rat poison will do the trick also. Then you won't have to worry about making buzzard bait in your pasture, the dogs will go home and die and the people that should be keeping their mutts taken care of would have to deal with the bodies. Gets coyotes too just make sure you keep your own dogs penned for awhile until you know it's safe. It's one thing to be neighborly but when it comes to your livelyhood you have to take care of yourself sometimes. Neighbors sometimes just see a torn up calf as a shame I see it as food being taken out of my kids mouth and you don't mess with my kids!!!! :devil2:

Sorry I kinda hijacked your thread, Knersie!

The problem we've got is that the places that used to be 150-200 acres when I was growing up have been divided up into 10-15 acre "farmsteads" and there's over 5 times the houses and "neighbors" that there used to be. And most just let their dogs run loose.

One of my neighbors recently had dogs get into his calf pen and try to take down a 250 lb. bottle calf. He got there in time to shoot one of the dogs before the rest ran off and all they managed to do was eat the calf's ears off. His wife told me that she was getting to where all she wanted to be responsible for was a townhouse in the city. I guess she was serious because the "For Sale" signs went up on their place last week.

Anyway, some neighbors can be great! And others are just a pain!

George

KNERSIE":1554hyu3 said:
I'm going to buy a small island where I have no neighbours with cattle. Neighbour's mutts broke through the fence (again) and now I have about a dozen holstein bullocks and a mature sussex bull with 17 open replacement heifers. That after they've already grazed down an alfalfa hayfield this week that was due to be cut next week for baleage.

On second thought, I want an island where I have no neighbours period, that way I won't get any phone calls early Sunday mornings to come help because their underfed holstein heifer is struggling to have the fleckview calf that was supposed to be born easily.

If I won Duns Lotto I would do things a little differently than you Knersie. I would buy up all the land around me of the SOB neighbors that p@ss me off and keep only the good ones (of which there are only a 1/2 dozen or so in a 20 mile radius).

Life would be heavenly then ....... :D

Sorry about the mutts going through your fence, hopefully he didn't get any; but I guess you will be busy giving them a prostaglandin shot in a week or so anyways JIC..

I am no authority on poisons; BUT if I was killing them like that.....I would much rather be the one disposing of the body. A dog goes back to his house, get's sick, and somebody takes it to a vet who knows what they are doing and you could be the center of some sort of criminal investigation. I shoot a dog and I can say with some authority that that dog was a clear and present danger to my calves and I just had to do it, your honor. You put out poisoned ground beef out all over the place and some COULD argue that you were trying to bait poor Fido to come out of his yard.

Brandonm22":herbyx8f said:
I am no authority on poisons; BUT if I was killing them like that.....I would much rather be the one disposing of the body. A dog goes back to his house, get's sick, and somebody takes it to a vet who knows what they are doing and you could be the center of some sort of criminal investigation. I shoot a dog and I can say with some authority that that dog was a clear and present danger to my calves and I just had to do it, your honor. You put out poisoned ground beef out all over the place and some COULD argue that you were trying to bait poor Fido to come out of his yard.

I agree. I would never recommend putting out poison. Too many unintended and possibly disastrous things could happen.

Brandonm22":2qq2u7os said:
IF it is dogs in numbers who know what they are doing there is nothing one cow can do to stop them. You are probably just lucky they didn't run the cow down too.

:nod: :nod: Couple of years ago out in one of my pastures, ole "spotty cow" had a pit-bull latched onto her nose and a black-lab mix latched onto her tail! She was swinging and turning and spinning and kicking for all she was worth. By the time I got out there with the 22, one of the neighbors(not the dogs owners) was out there trying to get the dogs off.....and succeeded. That neighbor was the recipient of a fresh apple pie the next day.

Katherine

Latest posts