If a cow is open....

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
If a cow is open for a season will she have a tendency to gain weight? Got one that has done just that and was wondering. Thanks for any help.

Dick

icandoit":2tjfztdy said:
If a cow is open for a season will she have a tendency to gain weight? Got one that has done just that and was wondering. Thanks for any help.

Dick

First question is why is she open for a season and you are still feeding her, no welfare here. Yes they will gain as they are not having to produce gallons of milk.

icandoit":1gaeiuyn said:

Dick

Yes, they'll get fat if they're not growing a calf.

We had one cow that skipped a season and she was so fat by the time she did calve that she could not have it on her own. Had to call the vet out on that one.

I knew that I should have put in why I still have this cow. :lol: This was not my decision. I got out voted by the wife and MIL. The cow is the first one I bought and they fell in love I guess. At any rate, I will have her pregnancy checked soon and if she is with calf, she stays. If not, she goes. She went from a good BCS 5 to about a 7+, in my eye anyway, and I thought maybe it was because she was open for a season. I could have put her with a bull months earlier but I wanted all the cows to be insync. I hope it doesn't come back and bite me. Anyway, thanks to all, you just verified what I thought.

Dick