Ideas for research paper on beef industry.

Help Support CattleToday:

NEKid

Reaction score
First off, let's just all agree that PETA is the dumbest most idiotic organization out there...maybe apart from the Clinton Foundation :bs:
I got an assignment here in my Junior year of school to write a research paper and what better subject to write 'er on than the benefits of the beef industry in the good ol' US of A. I've read all the general stats and all the official hubbaloo concerning which state raises the best beef, yada yada yada. What I want is y'alls insight on this: why America would die without the beef industry. I know well that it would but trying to explain why to a vegan is like trying to convince an atheist that there's a God! :deadhorse: Thanks in advance! :pop:

There are many facets to the beef industry and it touches a lot of lives in diverse groups across america. You have your show calves which help teach children responsibility and animal husbandry, you have the dairy industry which puts milk on your shelves and meat in McDonalds and then you have all the jobs from processing, packaging and shipping. Then there are all the jobs created on the wholesale and retail side. Its extremely diverse but one thing the majority of the beef industry has in common is that it creates all this from sunlight and forage which in most cases would go to waste. To me, the rumen is like a magic wealth creator converting worthless grass into money and jobs and to top this off, its sustainable. If some vegan cannot grasp this concept they are simply retarded.

Jogeephus":flwb47z1 said:
There are many facets to the beef industry and it touches a lot of lives in diverse groups across america. You have your show calves which help teach children responsibility and animal husbandry, you have the dairy industry which puts milk on your shelves and meat in McDonalds and then you have all the jobs from processing, packaging and shipping. Then there are all the jobs created on the wholesale and retail side. Its extremely diverse but one thing the majority of the beef industry has in common is that it creates all this from sunlight and forage which in most cases would go to waste. To me, the rumen is like a magic wealth creator converting worthless grass into money and jobs and to top this off, its sustainable. If some vegan cannot grasp this concept they are simply retarded.
Well said, Jo!

I'd like to see someone research the long-term effects of using calves as ropers on their performance as brood or meat animals. I got a Hereford heifer in November that had been a roping calf that they forgot to feed. She was so poor that the sale barn wrote thin and poor on the receipt. I tried to find information on her long-term prospects of making a useful cow and could not find anything about it but found way too much on people against roping trying to get it made illegal. I decided to give my heifer a Chance to get Fed get healthy and see if she can produce. The other 5 on the trailer with her looked just as poor but were steers so I want interested in rescuing them but I'm curious about how they would fair in a feedout situation.

TCRanch":21jfqu2x said:
Jogeephus":21jfqu2x said:
Well said, Jo!

I would suggest a paper on the death of the small custom meat processor, the retail meat market and its effect on the small rancher/farmer.

You could talk about how all our meat comes from 1 of 4 mega corps, Tyson Foods Springdale, Ark. Daily slaughter capacity 28,700. U.S. market share 25 percent. ...Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. Wichita, Kan. Daily slaughter capacity 29,000. ...
JBS USA Greeley, Colo. Daily slaughter capacity 28,600. ...National Beef Packing Co., LLC Kansas City, Mo. Daily slaughter capacity 14,000.

What lobbyist do and the effect on legislation and its effect on aforementioned rancher/farmer.

HDRider":1eeqcatv said:
I would suggest a paper on the death of the small custom meat processor, the retail meat market and its effect on the small rancher/farmer.

You could talk about how all our meat comes from 1 of 4 mega corps, Tyson Foods Springdale, Ark. Daily slaughter capacity 28,700. U.S. market share 25 percent. ...Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. Wichita, Kan. Daily slaughter capacity 29,000. ...
JBS USA Greeley, Colo. Daily slaughter capacity 28,600. ...National Beef Packing Co., LLC Kansas City, Mo. Daily slaughter capacity 14,000.

What lobbyist do and the effect on legislation and its effect on aforementioned rancher/farmer.

Great idea! If you could connect the dots in such a way to easily show how Sinclair's book The Jungle led to the formation of the laws and regulations that have put the nails in the coffins of the small independent custom meat processor when Sinclair himself stated that people misunderstood the intent of his book and that the regulations Roosevelt put in place were unjustified boon to large meat packers at the expense of the taxpayers. These laws have essentially destroyed a good industry that once required a skilled workforce and replaced it with unskilled labor.

:nod:
Jogeephus":2hfekusb said:
HDRider":2hfekusb said:

Great idea! If you could connect the dots in such a way to easily show how Sinclair's book The Jungle led to the formation of the laws and regulations that have put the nails in the coffins of the small independent custom meat processor when Sinclair himself stated that people misunderstood the intent of his book and that the regulations Roosevelt put in place were unjustified boon to large meat packers at the expense of the taxpayers. These laws have essentially destroyed a good industry that once required a skilled workforce and replaced it with unskilled labor.

:nod: :nod: :nod: Yes!!!

NEKid":256fk5un said:
First off, let's just all agree that PETA is the dumbest most idiotic organization out there...maybe apart from the Clinton Foundation :bs:
I got an assignment here in my Junior year of school to write a research paper and what better subject to write 'er on than the benefits of the beef industry in the good ol' US of A. I've read all the general stats and all the official hubbaloo concerning which state raises the best beef, yada yada yada. What I want is y'alls insight on this: why America would die without the beef industry. I know well that it would but trying to explain why to a vegan is like trying to convince an atheist that there's a God! :deadhorse: Thanks in advance! :pop:

Good luck with the paper--sounds like an interesting assignment! As to your side comments, please try to keep a more open mind. There are farmers who disagree with your political and religious positions (and some of them are even members here). Not only that, we're asked to not discuss politics and religion on this site. We don't need a hive mind, but can agree to disagree. :tiphat:

boondocks":q8zdz7wq said:
NEKid":q8zdz7wq said:

Good luck with the paper--sounds like an interesting assignment! As to your side comments, please try to keep a more open mind. There are farmers who disagree with your political and religious positions (and some of them are even members here). Not only that, we're asked to not discuss politics and religion on this site. We don't need a hive mind, but can agree to disagree. :tiphat:

Thank ya, sir. I respect that and didn't figure on anyone being offended by my side comments, but I guess there's all sorts of people on the internet nowadays. I appreciate your note. :tiphat:

Workinonit Farm":1cwd1bv1 said:
Jogeephus":1cwd1bv1 said:
HDRider":1cwd1bv1 said:

"The Jungle" led to Teddy Roosevelt's Meat Inspection Act of 1907 (A good and necessary law for food safety)
Where it all went wrong was LBJ amending the Meat Inspection Act of 1907 with his Wholesome Meat Act of 1967

LBJ always meant well in all of his actions and laws. But in action after action there were unseen, unintended consequences. It was almost as though his presidency was cursed. Which is why I rate his presidency as easily
1 of the 10 worst of all time, with James Buchanan 1857-1861 hands down the worst.

The 1907 Act covered only meat crossing state lines, which in 1967 was 85% of fresh meat and 75% of processed meat.
LBJ saw this gap in federal power as a bad thing as it did not include imported and locally grown meats.
Rather than just passing a law to give the federal government jurisdiction over imported meats, he chose to try
to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and include locally grown meats.

In effect, LBJ's Wholesome Meat Act required all retail meat sold in the usa to be federally inspected by the USDA.
He was solving a problem with locally grown meat where no problem existed.
The cost of federal inspectors was too great for small local family butcher shops to compete with the big boys.
It drove thousands and thousands of small retail butcher shops out of business. And along with it the ability of small family farms to sell their products locally at competitive prices. Small producers with no other viable option were forced to sell their product to the big companies that could afford the new inspectors. These companies were able to pay for the added inspection costs by heavily discounting prices paid to small volume producers. Which in turn either forced small family farms out of business or caused many to scale back and get a job in town to make ends meet.

Economy of scale allowed for the vertical integration of meat production with Big Ag's battle cry of the 1970's
"GET BIG OR GET OUT"

Well put Son of Butch! :tiphat:

I think that I see the makings of a great paper and it might prove enlightening to many.

NEKid":krqpyj2n said:
Thank ya, sir. I respect that and didn't figure on anyone being offended by my side comments, but I guess there's all sorts of people on the internet nowadays. I appreciate your note. :tiphat:

Not a sir and not offended ;) Also not a PETA fan, for the record.
Do you plan to farm, or still figuring that out? (Aren't we all!) ;-)

boondocks":24u7cn9q said:
NEKid":24u7cn9q said:

Not a sir and not offended ;) Also not a PETA fan, for the record.
Do you plan to farm, or still figuring that out? (Aren't we all!) ;-)

Eh, I'm usin' ag as my default setting for if all else goes to pot in life. It's what I enjoy and is something in which I have knowledge, so it'd make a fine plan B. The reason I'm not pursuing it full time is I'm on that fine line of knowing enough but not so much to make a living out of it...

Son of Butch":3fzc8ke0 said:
Workinonit Farm":3fzc8ke0 said:
Jogeephus":3fzc8ke0 said:

"The Jungle" led to Teddy Roosevelt's Meat Inspection Act of 1907 (A good and necessary law for food safety)
Where it all went wrong was LBJ amending the Meat Inspection Act of 1907 with his Wholesome Meat Act of 1967

LBJ always meant well in all of his actions and laws. But in action after action there were unseen, unintended consequences. It was almost as though his presidency was cursed. Which is why I rate his presidency as easily
1 of the 10 worst of all time, with James Buchanan 1857-1861 hands down the worst.

The 1907 Act covered only meat crossing state lines, which in 1967 was 85% of fresh meat and 75% of processed meat.
LBJ saw this gap in federal power as a bad thing as it did not include imported and locally grown meats.
Rather than just passing a law to give the federal government jurisdiction over imported meats, he chose to try
to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and include locally grown meats.

In effect, LBJ's Wholesome Meat Act required all retail meat sold in the usa to be federally inspected by the USDA.
He was solving a problem with locally grown meat where no problem existed.
The cost of federal inspectors was too great for small local family butcher shops to compete with the big boys.
It drove thousands and thousands of small retail butcher shops out of business. And along with it the ability of small family farms to sell their products locally at competitive prices. Small producers with no other viable option were forced to sell their product to the big companies that could afford the new inspectors. These companies were able to pay for the added inspection costs by heavily discounting prices paid to small volume producers. Which in turn either forced small family farms out of business or caused many to scale back and get a job in town to make ends meet.

Economy of scale allowed for the vertical integration of meat production with Big Ag's battle cry of the 1970's
"GET BIG OR GET OUT"

Tha's almost a research paper in itself! Thank you Son of Butch; that makes it easy to wrap one's head around!

Very well said SOB. Sadly the facts are not well known, and go counter to the moneyed interest of the mega corps. So here we are.

It would take a miracle to reverse the course, although there are some orgs that are trying, but they get bogged down by new age music, butterflies, rainbows and unicorns.

Latest posts