Ideas for finding help..

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, and I'm coming to the realization that the farm and the things I want to get done on it are not realistic anymore. (Harder to convince Hubby.. who can "do it all"..)

Does anyone have any ideas as to where you would go about find help? Maybe 2-3 days a week? Would it be better to get live in (at a house on the property) help than just paying someone a few days a week? Mostly I'd like to find someone to clean house and halter break and feed the calves, that sort of stuff. I don't have a clue as to what that would cost! What about liability issues?

We don't have kids, so I thought about finding someone who would be willing to work the place with the promise (in writing, by an attorney of course) that when we move into a retirement home or die, they would get part of the property.

Any ideas y'all?

Is there a college near enough with an agriculture department?

I would suggest high school ag... just depends on the youngster.

For day work around here, 10/hr for general work and more for skilled and independent workers.

Have you tried asking here on the boards? Depends on what part of central tx your in, I could be interested.

Nephews or neighbor's kid. Be firm and be rewarding. Don't discount female help either. Some nieces or neighbor's daughters make the best help. Both of my daughters can operate the Caterpillar, Backhoe, tractors etc. Doubt that I will ever get either back on them at this point tho.

There are times that we really don't need any help but someone asks. If they are good kids, we find some chores. Feel them out to see if they are good help so to speak for later.

~~

Here are my suggestions to find the help you need;

Ag Schools-both high school, 2 yr colleges and other programs.
Some school programs require an apprenticeship before they can graduate.

Extension service--Get those graduating 4-Hers!!

Put an ad in your local church bulletins--thats how my farmer friends got their best helpers.

Put an ad on Cattle Today classifieds.

An ad at your local feed store--be specific about what you are looking for.

There are also a few live in Care Taker message boards out there on the Internet. Search for them.

Word of mouth pays dividends. Spread the word.

Hope this helps.

There are a lot of young guys and gals looking to buy into or rent to own a farm or ranch. Talk to your FSA office and see if there is a list or something.
Good luck.
Be careful about just getting anybody to help out, they could be more trouble then help.

Go find the best looking man, I am sure there are some here on the board that will fit the bill. I bet they will volunteer. Then when the husband sees you working close to, say, Crowder(seems he has a lot of girl friends from what I read) then he will have on his tool belt and get busy.
Chuckie

Clean the house and feed the calves, now that is quite a combination. I had to get married to solve that problem. :lol: :lol:

Chuckie":3ig30zh8 said:
Go find the best looking man, I am sure there are some here on the board that will fit the bill. I bet they will volunteer. Then when the husband sees you working close to, say, Crowder(seems he has a lot of girl friends from what I read) then he will have on his tool belt and get busy.
Chuckie
My Buddy had what I would term the most beautiful Gal in Tennessee working for him in Hay last year. His Wife made him get shed of her. I wondered how I could hire her to do odd jobs on our places.( without my Wife using Firepower on me).

Good trustworthy, dependable help is hard to find...

I use a foster boy up the road, who loves farming, and Cattle.I'd try and find an FFA kid, or someone with an AG interest that wants to learn and earn.

TheBullLady":7320htxi said:
I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, and I'm coming to the realization that the farm and the things I want to get done on it are not realistic anymore. (Harder to convince Hubby.. who can "do it all"..)

Does anyone have any ideas as to where you would go about find help? Maybe 2-3 days a week? Would it be better to get live in (at a house on the property) help than just paying someone a few days a week?
Mostly I'd like to find someone to clean house and halter break and feed the calves, that sort of stuff.

It seems like you need two different people, a part time housekeeper, and a part time hired hand.
I think it would be hard to find one that would be ideal for both.

I don't have a clue as to what that would cost! What about liability issues?

We don't have kids, so I thought about finding someone who would be willing to work the place with the promise (in writing, by an attorney of course) that when we move into a retirement home or die, they would get part of the property.

Any ideas y'all?

Latest posts