Ideal Red Angus Bull...

Help Support CattleToday:

ArmyDoc

Reaction score
One of the other threads gave me an idea. It seems to me you can learn a lot by looking at good stock.

So, What are your top three picks for what you consider to be example of "the ideal Red Angus Bull", and why did you pick them?

Why not pick out a few that catches YOUR eye and post their photos and the rest of us in the peanut gallery can rank them according to our preferences with reasons. That way you might get a better idea what other look for in environments different from your own.

I like this from google. Red Ter-Ron Fully Loaded 540R apparently. I know nothing about him. Just like how he looks. Long, deep, thick. My kind of animal.

I have high hopes for this guy. He is out of an outstanding cow that we were flushing but got injured and died. He had his first calves this spring, and they came out the right size.
Lot_1_-_big.JPG

I really think he will make some powerful soggy bulls, while his daughters will be his strong point. If they are shaped like him, his dam and his full sisters, they will be easy keeping and top producers that are very sound.

KNERSIE":3pjcnmoj said:
Why not pick out a few that catches YOUR eye and post their photos and the rest of us in the peanut gallery can rank them according to our preferences with reasons. That way you might get a better idea what other look for in environments different from your own.

Well, that seems to be the normal way of doing things. But I was thinking if I had a few examples of bulls with excellent conformation, I could compare any I like to them. Supposedly, when they teach bankers to recognize counterfeits, they don't do it by showing them different examples of counterfits, the do it by exposing them to lots of the real thing.

dun":lv5jgiz3 said:
aussie_cowgirl":lv5jgiz3 said:
I like this from google. Red Ter-Ron Fully Loaded 540R apparently. I know nothing about him. Just like how he looks. Long, deep, thick. My kind of animal.
Here's somehting about him
http://search.redangus.org/animal/name/ ... al/1234514

I googled him, since your image didn't display.
1705_fullyLoaded.jpg

I have to agree he's pretty to look at... although his calving ease and birth weight EPDs make me nervous. But in this thread I'm mainly trying to get to where I can recognize a well-put-together bull.

What do people think of his conformation?

BRG,

What do you mean by "soggy" bulls? I haven't run into that term before. Also, how old is he in that picture?

We've had some great looking and producing cows out of Norseman King. We started using 5L Hotline last year, really eye appealing, fleshy, moderate sized heifer calves and bull calves.

showing71":14yt7xt7 said:
We've had some great looking and producing cows out of Norseman King. We started using 5L Hotline last year, really eye appealing, fleshy, moderate sized heifer calves and bull calves.
Is this Norseman King?
029AR00218_Bull.jpg

I wasn't able to find a picture of 5L Hotline

ArmyDoc":20esdk3i said:
showing71":20esdk3i said:
Is this Norseman King?
029AR00218_Bull.jpg

I wasn't able to find a picture of 5L Hotline
Yup, that's Norseman King. Here's the EPD info on Hotline
http://search.redangus.org/animal/name/ ... mal/921107

I don't know if there are pictures of him out or not. We get semen on him from a friend.

When I say soggy, I mean deep ribbed from the flank all the way to the heart, they are easy doing cattle that flesh up without much extra feed. So far I am correct. Over the winter, all of our herdbulls were fed hay only. Some of them came through looking a little tough while this guy was in the best condition of them all, all the while he was loosing his teeth. I am pretty excited about his daughters, they should be what I am looking for.

He is around 14 months old in the photo.

Here is his Reg. # 1157502

His EPDs are:

I have several other photos of maternal brothers and sisters of him if you are interested.

Latest posts