Ideal Cow Condition for all ground beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

If they just want cheap beef and don't care from where or what, I'm pretty sure the grocery store is filling that market
Since I "moved to town' I sure can't say the grocery stores are filling the 'cheap beef' market niche.
I saw flat irons priced at $9.55/lb last week. I like flat iron steaks but they are not usually considered tender premium cuts (but are premium tastes)
I bought 'em anyway because I wanted some flatirons.

It's a term that been used for beef and dairy cattle for much longer than I've been alive.
It was certainly taught when I was in vocational ag class in the mid-late 1960s and I've seen it illustrated in some very old college ag course textbooks. Harder to see in all black cattle, especially with a winter coat but they're still there.

What are happy lines?

For hundreds of years, before pedigrees, before milk testing, before genomics, cattle have been selected based on hair coat condition. You are well aware that healthy, shiny, clean hair coats are only on the healthiest cows. Happy lines are the horizontal folds across the ribs typically on the middle to lower third of the rib cage. Chances are you have seen them and just passed them off as a fat cow, but they have a story to tell

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/happy-lines-window-cow-health-joep-driessen

Last edited:
What has worked well for us for ground beef cows are any cows that are otb.
Discounted cows, the ones many sit on there hands when the come in the auction ring. Belted,reds roans ect.
This year that will probably be 4 red bm pregnant cows that we bought a couple months ago for $800 ea.
Calves will be weaned late august. Cows will probably be butchered oct -Dec estimate them to weigh 1300-1400 lbs by then.

What has worked well for us for ground beef cows are any cows that are otb.
Discounted cows, the ones many sit on there hands when the come in the auction ring. Belted,reds roans ect.
This year that will probably be 4 red bm pregnant cows that we bought a couple months ago for $800 ea.
Calves will be weaned late august. Cows will probably be butchered oct -Dec estimate them to weigh 1300-1400 lbs by then.
I may have missed it earlier but what grind ratio do your customers prefer?
(My wife wants 85/15 or at least 80/20 ground chuck but would get 90/10 if she could. I want more fat as I find the lower fat ratios harder to cook with and much less taste. I made some 90/10 'hamburger steaks' this week and they didn't hold together very well and didn't leave enough fat in the pan for making brown gravy :( )

Most customers prefer 80/20 . It is still leaner than most are used to cooking with. 85/15 is usually ok as well. Tell all first time customers it is different then what they are used to buying in the store has a different texture and color when raw vs what they buy at supermarket.
All the time growing up and until the last few years I used 90/10 personally.
It is definitely different to cook and usually have to add grease to the pan so it doesn't burn.
As I have gotten older I like my burger a little more juicy but I don't want my a big portion of my burger to have to be dumped out of the pan when finished cooking. I now prefer 85/15

I have never heard the reference "happy lines". Please explain.
On a fat and fleshy animal, or finished animal, midway down their side, to the rear of the ribcage, it'll look like someone has taken their fingers and slid them horizontally. I have noticed that they are definitely present when an animal is ready for the bolt. Easier to see in black and red cattle.

Latest posts