idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Read something recently that showed a chart of some examples of creep feeding and not creep feeding. In there study with corn as cheap as it is now and Beef prices as high as they had been. It made them like an extra $50.00 to creep feed per calf when all done.

Article did point out though that if the market changed on either feed cost or beef prices it could turn creep feeding into a loosing venture.

Made since to me, just like what works for one might not work for another, what works one year might not work the next year. Seems like you have to be flexible in your management styles to me.

aplusmnt":1hssz08t said:
Made since to me, just like what works for one might not work for another, what works one year might not work the next year. Seems like you have to be flexible in your management styles to me.

Certainly. One of the reasons for my attempting creep feeding is to establish a baseline rate of gain. When the cost of oats exceeds the added value of the beef, I quit with the creep and go back to my current style of management, which is to feed a bit of oats a couple weeks before weaning, just to reduce weaning stress.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3quwn6ac said:
S.R.R.":3quwn6ac said:
1) Sorry but I find this nearly impossible to believe! What are you paying for oats? What kind of cattle are you running? How many lb. of oats do you think you need to add 100lb per calf? I am afraid you are in for a rude awakening but hope for your sake I am wrong. Best of luck!

2) P.S. Just saw that you raise shorthorns. (nice beef cattle in their day) I find it a bit confusing that a breed like that which is known for above average milk production for a beef cow has such a hard time giving enough milk for its calf. Do you think there is the possibility that your cows are not getting the nutrition they need and not the calves? Just a thought not trying to knock you.

1) Low quality bin run oats with alot of wild oats can be had today for 55 cents/bushel. The elevators won't buy it and the farmers just want to get it gone. Wild oats has excellent nutritional value. And no rude awakenings. My decision to creep feed is based on surveying the countryside to see what kind of consumption they're going through versus the weight gains, then adjusting back to my animals. The large framed Simm guys in the area are getting 150 extra pounds in 7 months with creep feed. Its also based on my work with other ranches who did use creep. Perhaps I won't get my 100 pound target in 5 months, but I won't be far off, given the other British guys in the area are getting in that neighborhood. As I said in the other thread, I won't know for sure until I try it myself on my own animals.

2) Well I think my cows are doing just fine. I'm weaning 50% of cow weight in 5 months on average frame sized cows. That above average weaning weight for the Shorthorn breed. As far as the cows not getting adequate nutrition, they can raise that 50% of their weight and end up dropping very little shape (during the wet days of June/July they'll drop a little condition, but gain back in August/September). I feed a free choice mineral, balanced out for the grass (or hay depending on the year).

My feedlot performance, once the weaning shock is gone, is better than my performance on the cows (.5 to 1 pound per day better performance in the lot, and I don't heavy feed). If I can eliminate, or at least reduce weaning shock to nil, I'm going to get a 2 - 4 weeks more good growth, versus having 2 - 4 weeks with no growth, or little growth.

Rod

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

We creep feed our calves, but for a slightly different reason. With registered cattle, if you're in the market to sell replacements, you want them in top condition all the time. Of course they don't all make replacements, but the ones that go to the feedlot are already on feed, and wean a lot easier.