ID on "Grassy weed

Help Support CattleToday:

okiek

Reaction score
Hopefully this image shows up. I need help identifying this so I can spray for it(if possible) this year. It came up in coastal Bermuda just about time for second cut this year. I've always called it cheatgrass but I don't think it really is cheat. My chemical company told me yesterday it was Sage grass, but when I research that, I don't think it is that either. Any help is appreciated. I see the image is "sideways", but hopefully someone with good eyes can still ID.

Thanks for the help. That's what my chemical company told me. Guess I have to fix it with fetilizer, and they told me it would take 2 to 3 years. My soil sample shows within normal PH range for Bermuda but I'll have to work on it a little. Cows and horses have both been quite unhappy with me this year. First cut, nothing fuzzy, second cut very little, but third cut was FULL of fuzzies!!! Thanks for the help!

From experience it matures in Fall and if grass is cut on 4 to 6 week intervals it does not get to the stage I see in pic. I figure last cutting was let get rank and that also contributes to them not being happy with you.

Well, I don't do my own baling and I kept getting put off and off and off and off.......So yes, it was too mature!!

Thanks for the help. I had soil samples from last year (Which is when this hay was cut) and looked at them last night. My PH was 6.2 and the extension office fays 5.7 to 7.0 for Bermuda. I felt like my PH was pretty decent. My fertilizer supplier is very knowledgeable so I'm confident they can help me on that end.

Thanks a lot Kenny. I'm pretty sure that's my issue. It shows deficient in Phosphorus and Potassium both. I fertilized according to my report in spring of last year, but it's my understanding that is a slow fix. I'm going to pull samples again this weekend to see if I did any good at all last spring.

Latest posts