I'd hate to be in this fellows shoes

Help Support CattleToday:

We had means to address crap like this and it didn;t include the guy being transferred to a hospital, very often anyway. It was referred to as "refir deck logic" and was highly effective

Dun, how much money do you think was wasted searching for him? I didn't really keep up with it but I think the search was pretty intensive.

When did they start frocking PO3s? That was for CPOs.

Probably didn't spend much more money than normally..the surface search by ships would have been carried out by ships already at sea. All that would be extra was the air search and the fuel cost.
The Navy will write it off as a good training exercise, but it will be a source of embarrassment to the ship's captain.

Those gas turbine engine rooms aren't the big humongous spaces they were back in steam days, and are pretty clean and mostly modular. Still 'tall' (3 levels) but not very long fore to aft. Not a lot of places to hide. 'Somebody' probably knew he was there unless the article meant to say 'engineering space" and that could mean a lot bigger area, but still not the maze of equipment and piping that used to run thru 1/2 the ship in steam turbine days.

Jogeephus":zevgsq3v said:
GB, you are forgetting every child is a winner.
I hate to start a posts this way, but "In my day" he would have had the crap knocked out of him long before he got the idea of hiding out. He either would have gotten tough or gone over the side on his own.

dun":gu7sr1mi said:
Jogeephus":gu7sr1mi said:
GB, you are forgetting every child is a winner.
I hate to start a posts this way, but "In my day" he would have had the crap knocked out of him long before he got the idea of hiding out. He either would have gotten tough or gone over the side on his own.

:lol2: :lol2: I know what you mean. Sadly, he'll probably claim PTSD and be stateside drawing a check before the month is out.

greybeard":1d2vhfcq said:
When did they start frocking PO3s? That was for CPOs.

Probably didn't spend much more money than normally..the surface search by ships would have been carried out by ships already at sea. All that would be extra was the air search and the fuel cost.
The Navy will write it off as a good training exercise, but it will be a source of embarrassment to the ship's captain.

GB,
I agree with you, but after our Govt and the media dig down into operating expenses they will attach a humongous amount of expense to this and it will all be the Presidents fault. Had this happened in the 60's they would have backtracked and circled for a couple of days and then moved on. He was a man overboard, lost at sea. If and when he showed up, there is no telling what his future would entail, but it would not make the news like today. As you stated the unfortunate Captain's service record would be blemished.

Latest posts